The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1
10 acre woods

lead questions and powder weights

So looking in the books for loading 44 mag. and I see that some bullets can take much more powder then lead bullets. What is the reasoning around this. Does lead create more pressures or do you just not want to push lead that fast. What happens if you go over recommended loads for lead. Only reason I ask is the load data I have using a specific powder states that you can up the powder weight if you use a jacketed bullet, but if you use a lead round you are cutting the powder weight in more then half.
Just some questions. Any info would help thanks for all that reply.
Old April 15, 2012, 08:55 PM   #2
dacaur

Two reasons. #1 Lead actualy creates LESS pressure than jacketed. Its easier to push a lead bullet down the barrel than a jacketed one. so you need less powder to get the same velocity. And #2, if you go too fast with lead you will get barrel leading, which destroys velocity and is a pain to clean.
Old April 17, 2012, 09:16 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

assumptions

Not all lead bullets are equal; some are 'hard', some are 'harder'; some are soft swaged bullets.

So please provide very specific details, and help will arrive!
Old April 17, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
g.willikers

The lead bullets data, that you are looking at, might be for longer ones that seat deeper into the case, and increase internal pressure.
So, it's not only whether the bullets are lead or jacketed, but their shape and style that determines the powder load.
That's why it's so important to follow the load data for each and every bullet design, and never to get inventive.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:33 PM   #5
mehavey

I recommned the OP get a Lyman 48/49th manual. There he will find the 44 and 45 loads/pressures/velocities for lead and jacketed to be remarkably similar. This holds for almost every powder/bullet-weight/similar-OAL (and therefore similar seating depth in the lists) -- with the exception of ball W296/H110 where ignition/pressure curves are picky.

Lead bullets -- even at magnum velocities -- are tougher than given credit. And leading occurs more often when bullets are too hard, and loads (pressures) too low -- thereby not sealing the bore right off the bat. **

**I'm running a 255gr plain-base Keith out of my 45 Colt/1894 Marlin at 1,700fps (and shooting the same load out of my 40-year old/3-screw Ruger). ...Not even a hint of leading.
Old April 19, 2012, 09:04 PM   #6
10 acre woods

so how would I go about making a lead load that shoots like a jacketed round. I just want something to practice with that is economical as possible but still feels like a jacketed bullet.
Old April 20, 2012, 04:29 AM   #7
sourdough44

My way of thinking is why would I want to shoot max power loads all the time in a 44 mag? I'd be very content loading mid power lead bullets for most shooting. If & when I saw a need I'd test out some max power loads & carry them. I do have GC'ed Beartooth Bullets 'hardcast' for just such a use. Other than that I go with mid power loads, plated bullets, & a mid charge of H Universal.
Old April 21, 2012, 01:18 PM   #8
Rangefinder

Lead threshold is NOT about velocity--it's about pressure versus lead resilience depending on your alloy. The biggest key in lead is the FIT. Depending on how the pressures are for a particular cartridge, you CAN push lead as fast and hard as a typical jacketed bullet if all things are put together properly. My .40S&W drives a cast lead bullet upwards of 1050fps on 165gr HP's with no trouble at all so long as I've put everything together right on my end. My .357 goes over 1300+fps with 158gr SWC's and runs very clean.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.