The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2009, 11:36 AM   #1
k5koy

Handgun Guy gets a 870, needs help...

Ok, so this is my first shotgun. Its a brand new unfired 870 with 20" and tube extender, just as Remington made it. I got this for a HD/Tac weapon. Lots of crooked home invaders on the loose these days. I have several handguns, primarily Sigs, and I am quite proficient with them, but should I miss, I certainly dont want to injure/kill my neighbors with an errant shot, so I thought this might serve me well. First off, I'm not sure I know how to use the bead sight. Looking down the flat space on the reciever, I want the bead centered there, but do I want to see the ENTIRE bead sitting on the flat spot aligned with my target, top half, or what? and as a followup, are they pretty accurately set by the manufacturer?
Next, I will be wanting information on what tactical items I should get. There are a sea of them out there, and I was hoping to get the quality stuff right the first time. You know, syphon the wisdom of the collective who have already been there-done that, so to speak. So I am thinking the stuff that I want are as follows.
I would like to get a pistol grip stock. I have looked at several, and now Im just confused. I like the looks of the Choate stuff, including the forend with the picatinny rail, which will soon become obvious. Thoughts on pistol grip stock vs. standard?
Thoughts on Choate?
Recommendations other than Choate?
I think I prefer the ribbed corncob type forend over the stock remington, and I like the picatinny rail option on the Choate because I will be wanting to for sure add a light. Thoughts on this forend?

Next is a light. Probably the most important thing to have on a HD shotgun. Im thinking LED or some kind of xenon lighting. I have a M3 on my .40cal sig, and I like it alot! It has a intermitant and continuous rocker switch, which would be handy on the forend mount. But Im concerned it might not hold up to the recoil of a shotgun blast. Thoughts?

Think I would also like to get a sidesaddle, and perhaps even a stock mounted shell holder. Best brands of these?

Lastly, I am trying to figure out a way to keep my gun from being used against me, or being stolen while I am away from home. Is there a good wall mounted locking system available that wont break the bank that would have a quick release type mechanism?

I'm sure these questions have all been posted before, but the search feature seems to give me spurious results, so forgive me for asking repetitive questions. Thanks

Koy, West Texas
Old November 1, 2009, 12:00 PM   #2
FishinggodBilly

All I can say is you really don't aim a shotgun you just point and shoot. The 870 is definately time tested. ( I own two) I would bring the new toy out into the field even if its just to shoot cans at different distances...
Ive never owned a tactical shotgun so thats all the help I can offer.
Old November 1, 2009, 12:06 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
but should I miss, I certainly dont want to injure/kill my neighbors with an errant shot, so I thought this might serve me well.
Well prudent choice in timing and target acquisition is still paramount even if overpenetration is mitigated a bit.
Quote:
I want the bead centered there, but do I want to see the ENTIRE bead sitting on the flat spot aligned with my target
For me, and the way I hold my gun, I put the bead atop the "flat top" and at HD range I would pretty much have the bead on the navel to hit nearly COM.
The bead is not a sight as you know it. Since every face is different and every nuance in your grip affects the location of the "rear sight" which is your eye, the bead is only relative to you as far as POA/POI co-ordination. But out to 30 yards with birdshot/buckshot I have my sight picture set so bead is jusy below my intended POI... Basically if I cover my target with muzzle, I shoot high.
Quote:
as a followup, are they pretty accurately set by the manufacturer?
The only issue is the obvious "clock position" of the bead.. if it looks straight it is plenty fine... With out a rear sight blade, it is irrelevant pretty much.
Quote:
Next, I will be wanting information on what tactical items I should get.
Since you asked from the BTDT crowd... No lasers for me, Heck I don't even attach the light to the gun. I have handheld lights if needed. Nothin but a standard gun with standard stock for me... That is the most versatile weapon for me.
Quote:
I would like to get a pistol grip stock.
These impair your ability to use the gun in as many positions quickly and accurately. The standard stock allows the widest variety of holds.
Quote:
Next is a light. Probably the most important thing to have on a HD shotgun.
That is the only farkle/gizmo I would even consider... I just prefer not to worry with them.
Quote:
Think I would also like to get a sidesaddle, and perhaps even a stock mounted shell holder. Best brands of these?
The most I would add is a cheap elastic butt cuff but even that is pretty extreme... 5 rounds is likely going to handle any defensive task and I think you said you have extended mag tube. The side saddle and butt cuff ammo really add alot of weight in a rear heavy manner... less balance impairs your ability to naturally swing on and point your target.
Quote:
Lastly, I am trying to figure out a way to keep my gun from being used against me, or being stolen while I am away from home. Is there a good wall mounted locking system available that wont break the bank that would have a quick release type mechanism?
http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/comm...ategory%3DSECU
Here you go... may not work on an 870 but a phone call to Mossberg will verify yes or no.

Quote:
I'm sure these questions have all been posted before, but the search feature seems to give me spurious results, so forgive me for asking repetitive questions.
Yes the search feature takes some getting used to...
Brent
Old November 1, 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
TxGun

I agree with the others' comments. Don't overthink things. Get out and shoot your shotgun...that is by far the most important thing. Point and shoot at a variety of targets and keep practicing until you feel competent to hit what you are shooting at. Don't get too enamored of all the stuff that's available to hang on your shotgun. Much of it is marketing BS anyway and won't make you a better shooter.
Old November 1, 2009, 03:06 PM   #5
athanasor

Keep it simple

I agree with TxGun. My own 2 cents - forget about pistol grips - they're for movies. Oh, 2 more cents, forget attaching a light to the barrel, just makes you an easily acquired target; the dark is your friend.

OK - being a newbie here, I've probably PO'd a few folks
Old November 1, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
StuntManMike

I am going to assume you are talking about the Choate pistol grip full stock (as opposed to the PGO). I have the youth length Choate pistol grip full stock. It is alright but I prefer the SpeedFeed IV-S because there is a Limbsaver pad made specifically for it. This combo gives me a great balance of recoil reduction, reduced muzzle rise, and better control of the shotgun. The shape of the Choate precludes a standard pad but if you go that route the Limbsaver small/medium size works.

As far as a light, get something with a LED bulb as they do not have filaments to fail under recoil. I like the 618LFG for the 870 but it is expensive. If you want to go the route of railed forend and seperate tac light, look at the TLR-1 for the light as it is inexpensive.
Old November 1, 2009, 05:18 PM   #7
k5koy

Thanks Mike & Hogdog..
For the other guy that thinks a white light is a bad idea, get some training man, you're going to kill somebody...
Koy
Old November 1, 2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

Brand new 870? First thing, RTFM- read that fine manual, the owners manual that is. You'll find instructions for field stripping it therein, and you'll get told to give it a good cleaning to get the shipping preservative out of the gun. DO IT!

The manual is weak on telling you about the magazine extension, unless they revised it lately. There's a cross screw holding the barrel clamp tight that fits through a notch on the extension- remove that screw first, and pull the clamp open slightly to slide it off the muzzle and the end of the magazine extension.

Then unscrew the magazine extension tube. Be careful here, as the tube is under pressure from the magazine spring and will get away from you if you don't control it when it separates from the coupling. When you get the tube off, remove the magazine spring as well.

The Remington factory magazine extension is a two-piece construction, the tube itself and a coupling cap that holds the barrel onto the gun as well as receiving the threaded end of the magazine extension. Sometimes that coupling is screwed on seriously tight, it may take help from a strap wrench or a pair of well padded slip-joint pliers (use scrap leather or several thicknesses of terrycloth for padding) to get it loose.

When you get the coupling off, open the bolt about halfway, keeping the muzzle pointed UP, and pull the barrel out of the receiver.

Often it's helpful for a first timer to have a more experienced 870 hand available the first time they field strip their shotgun, if you know any 870 owners, it might be a good time to invite one over 8^).

Anyway, WD40 is a decent degreaser, best use it outside though. A good scrubbing of the bore and chamber area with a brass brush and whatever cleaner/degreaser you use should get the gunk out of the bore and chamber. Those are the critical areas, as leaving the shipping preservative in the chamber can cause sticky extraction when the gun is fired. That means you can't pump the forearm after firing a round- it just won't move.

The BEST tactical accessory you can add is a well programmed fire control computer- that's the gray stuff between your ears. That means training and practice. No accessory you can add to the gun will make up for a lack of skill in its use.

The one and only "hardware" thing I'd see to first if I were you is making sure the gun fits properly. Many shotgun stocks are too long for many shooters, and usually adjusting the length of pull will solve many shotgun fit problems.

hth,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 2, 2009, 08:34 AM   #9
k5koy

Thanks Lee, Good stuff! However, I am new to OWNING a shotgun, not firearms in general, so the first thing I did when I got it was read the manual front to back several times. Then disassembled & reassembled (with a good cleaning!) until I could do it in my sleep, and gave a very minimal oiling. It is a very straightforward and simple process. And the action on this thing is amazing! No wonder it is among the most popular shotguns on the market.
Excellent breakdown explaination though, and I might add that it would be a good "sticky."
I intend to go shoot it some later today to familiarize myself with all the nuances of the firearm. I am excited also to try out my new Sig 226 .40!
As for the add ons. While you make a good point about the gray matter being important, I am very well versed in the use of firearms, and have been safely exercising my 2nd Amendment rights for over 30 yrs. Try to make the range about once a month, and even got to go run the local police tactical course a few times! That is some FUN! So I do know whats going on. My biggest problem is that I am almost completely blind in the dark of night, so having a tactical light on a firearm is a must for me. Nothing worse than a blind guy weilding a firearm!..LOL Guess I could just start blasting and hope I hit that late night intruder, but I am more confident seeing my target. So the best add-on for me is a good high intesity light & mount. And I like the looks of that Mossberg Loc-Box thingy for when I am not at home. But I cant seem to find one.
Thanks again, and I think Im going to like this board.
Koy
Old November 2, 2009, 09:16 AM   #10
rantingredneck

Quote:
My biggest problem is that I am almost completely blind in the dark of night, so having a tactical light on a firearm is a must for me. Nothing worse than a blind guy weilding a firearm
Koy,

This is a valid concern, but a weapon mounted light is only part of the equation. There are inexpensive ways of making your home less dark. Think strategically placed nightlights in the foyer/LR/Kitchen/hallway or wherever your likely entry points are. You want light that lights or backlights potential intruders while leaving you hidden in the dark.

Besides that, very few places outside of truly rural living are truly DARK. Now, I live out in the country but there are streetlights nearby and my yard and house are well-lit with Solar/LED landscape lighting and low wattage flourescent floods. As long as the power is on I can navigate my home without turning on a lightswitch. I can also identify friend or foe the length of my hallway (from my bedroom door to the foyer/LR).

Don't get me wrong, my grab and go 870 has a light mounted, just in case, but remember it doesn't have to be used just because it's there. Don't go using it as a searchlight .

Hope this helps,
RR

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old November 2, 2009, 09:41 AM   #11
k5koy

Hey RR, while what you said has some valid points, please understand that with the form of night blindness I have, in order for me to get enough light through the aperature of my retinas to see an intruder, he will alomst certainly have enough light to see me. My limited tact training taught me that I am better off in total darkness. This way I have the advantage of knowing my surroundings. The little bit of light that does enter my home at night allows me to at least detect movement once my eyes have adjusted. Tact guy told me that once I am in position, to close my eyes and blast a quick burst of high intensity light in the direction of the intruder, thereby rendering him blind, then another quick burst, 1 eye open to aquire and immobalize. I have practiced this drill and it is quite effective. Great point though for those with better vision.
Koy
Old November 2, 2009, 10:02 AM   #12
rantingredneck

Very good then. Many new posters here do not have that level of foresight and training with a weapon and are simply after something to make their gun look "tactical". Sounds like you're on the right track.

Streamlight makes a nice low profile mount that fits to the magazine extension of an 870. It works well with their TLR-1 which has a rocker switch mechanism for momentary or constant on. Easily operated with a finger tip so as to not rely on hanging wires and such.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old November 2, 2009, 11:37 AM   #13
Catalyst

New poster here aswell, long time lurker though.

I recently purchased an 870 Police and having been where you are now, I'll share my experience since un-boxing it. It is my first Shotgun aswell.

Knoxx Blackhawk Adjustable stock:
Didn't like having to make it pistol grip, but making it adjustable for my wife's use was mandatory for me. Since installing it, however, I'm a fan. Getting in LOTS of practice with it at the range is painless with it's recoil springs taking away all hurt. I recently posted in another thread that after over 75+ rounds the only soreness was in my thumb from reloading.

Tac-Star Side Saddle (6 capacity):
Won't fit if your stock comes back over the reciever. My 870 Police came with a short forend (love it).

Light:
Haven't put one on yet. It's my next (and last) intended purchase for addons.

Vertical Wall Mounted Locking gunrack:
Picked up some simple one from Tractor Supply, nice and easy. Mount it somewhere close and easily accessable. Lock it when you leave the house. Unlock it when you get home.

I did alot of research and opinion-getting before I made my purchase, and I'm glad I didn't go overboard with bolt-ons. (It seems easy to do.) Lasers, red-dot sights, picatinney rails, breaching chokes and gimmick ammo have no place on a home defense shotgun IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. Putting that stuff on a shotgun to play with sounds like alot of fun, but if I had 2 guns, I'd grab my simply modded 870 first.
Old November 2, 2009, 12:08 PM   #14
k5koy

Ok Cat, sounds good! Im with you on a bunch of gadgets. I am a purist by nature. I am only interested in the PG stock for functional reasons, and the stock forend just doesnt suit my paw. I am real curious about the vert mount you got at the tractor supply. Would like more info on that, perhaps a picture or a link to one online. Also what it is called. Thanks,
Koy
Old November 2, 2009, 12:38 PM   #15
J.Netto

Quote:
All I can say is you really don't aim a shotgun you just point and shoot.
That's very bad advice, and couldn't be any farther from the truth.

Shotgun loads don't expand or spread out as quickly as you think they do. Especially at such close distances inside ones home.

Aim every shot you fire, Anything less is just irresponsible and dangerous.
Old November 2, 2009, 03:48 PM   #16
Lee Lapin

the first thing I did when I got it was read the manual front to back several times

You're just... not normal.

Programming your fire control computer to use a shotgun to me means learning how to hit stuff with it, not just how to be safe with it. Shotguns evolved in design over several hundred years to allow shooters to quickly hit fleeting targets. I don't want to open up another point-shoot-versus-aimed-fire furball here, but an experienced shotgunner using a traditionally designed shotgun- even with some kind of sights- is going to be very quick to get on a target. That's a matter of learning, learning is a matter of repetition, and as Dr. Dave says- BA/UU/R.

Anyone who can smoke a 4" claybird, down an individual bird (or two) out of an exploding covey of quail, juke along with a bouncing cottontail, or track and hit speeding mourning doves consistently, almost certainly can manage any other shotgun chores likely to come to hand.

Hope this helps clarify,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 2, 2009, 06:58 PM   #17
k5koy

Im not sure what you were trying to clarify, but appreciate your comments. I went to the range today and It was great! I ran about 25 shells through it and it shoots like a dream. Took about 3 shots to figure it out, and experiemented with various distances and such, and Im good to go. Also got to play with my new .40 cal Sig, and its dreamy. All in all, A good day. Going to try to find some clay to shoot at next week.
Also stopped by the gun shop and picked up a piece of rail material and installed a rocker led light on the right side of my forend. It sit just at my fingertips, where my natural grip is. Looks as good as it functions. Maybe I will post a photo..
Koy