The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2009, 03:37 AM   #1
brando77

sellier & bellot brass

so i'm sitting here depriming some 9mm brass after flaring and priming some 38spl brass and it seems every last S&B case has a tighter primer pocket.i noticed in the 38 brass that the primer would have a hair of shaved metal left in the ram prime after the primer was inserted,good thing i only had a few.is it just me or is S&B brass a pain.
Old September 1, 2009, 05:25 AM   #2
shu

Have not done much S&B brass in the last three or 4 years, but when I started reloading for pistol (9mm) it was with brass from the S&B I had been shooting, and with CCI primers. A tough combination, I found. Both S&B brass and CCI primers have a reputation of being stiffer than most.

I now use Winchester primers (when I can get them, or any primers at all these days). I often find a fresh crop of WIN 9mm brass at the shooting range. That combination of primer and brass is smooth as butter compared to S&B with CCI primers.

-shu
Old September 1, 2009, 05:54 AM   #3
chriske

In my experience, limited to .38 Spl., .357 Mag and .45 ACP, primer pockets on S&B brass are indeed tighter than usual. Not imossible but rather trying to load on a single stage press, maybe worse on progressice presses (no experience there, though).
Old September 1, 2009, 06:55 AM   #4
Nowhere Man

S&B is tight. Some machines have trouble with it.

See if a magnet picks it up. The newer S&B is brass over steel casing. That can also cause the case to be harder to work with.

Dave
Old September 1, 2009, 08:29 AM   #5
margiesex

Again....

I guess here on the East Coast I've been fortunate, as S & B cases (9mm is all I've used) have been nothing but good to me. I use CCI's if I can get them, and a Lee Auto Prime - and have never had a bit of trouble. But, in all fairness, those cases I'm still using are over a year old - some closer to 1 and 1/2 - perhaps they are changing.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll look for S & Bs that are brass plated - I hadn't heard about that.

You guys are just so good!

God bless and good shooting!

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old September 1, 2009, 10:40 AM   #6
wrangler yj

I have been reloading S&B for my m1 carbine. The primers are a tight fit. I take my reamer and ream the primer pocket. It seems as though the primer has a crimp on it. I know pistol and rifle cases are different though. I don't take a lot off. Maybe two twists and that really helps with seating the primers. They still fit tight, but not to where the primer gets flattened out.
Old September 1, 2009, 12:37 PM   #7
D. Manley

Quote:
S&B is tight. Some machines have trouble with it.

See if a magnet picks it up. The newer S&B is brass over steel casing. That can also cause the case to be harder to work with.
S&B actually offers their factory loaded 9MM rounds in brass or steel (brass plated). Some vendors specify the different versions (i.e., Natchezs) at different price points and others do not. The larger problem is that the primer pockets have a very sharp "break" and lack the normal bevel leading into the primer pocket. I bump mine with a Dillon swage to put a little lead-in to the pocket but a champfering tool will do the job. The steel is worthless and will bog down a progressive if they're not weeded out with a magnet...almost impossible to identify them visually. IMO, the true brass S&B is worth saving...I've found it very strong & durable brass once the primer pockets are touched up.
Old September 1, 2009, 03:32 PM   #8
brando77

marked on the head is---S & B---9X19---08----(+)-9mm nato mark i'm sure,i'm gonna make a bevel with my dremel ball grinder by hand,i read about the brass plated steel and grabbed a magnet to see if these were such,nope their brass,i was on a roll last night depriming, all the primers were popping out fine till i hit these, same stroke and the primer was only 3/4 of the way out,probably the lack of a bevel,but does any MFR crimp their 9mm primers? that's what i thought it was until you told me about the lack of a bevel.
Old September 1, 2009, 04:42 PM   #9
D. Manley

Quote:
marked on the head is---S & B---9X19---08----(+)-9mm nato mark i'm sure,i'm gonna make a bevel with my dremel ball grinder by hand,i read about the brass plated steel and grabbed a magnet to see if these were such,nope their brass,i was on a roll last night depriming, all the primers were popping out fine till i hit these, same stroke and the primer was only 3/4 of the way out,probably the lack of a bevel,but does any MFR crimp their 9mm primers? that's what i thought it was until you told me about the lack of a bevel.
Hmmm, you may have a different critter from any I've seen. I've never encountered any S&B NATO cases but if that's what you have, they are probably crimped in addition to the other oddities. If that's the case, may take more than just a little champfering.
Old September 2, 2009, 07:48 PM   #10
gdeal

brass is brass or no?

So who makes the best brass then? I thought brass is brass. Where should I get my brass for .40 S&W ?
Old September 2, 2009, 09:59 PM   #11
medalguy

I picked up some bulk brass recently and discovered some didn't deprime well in my Dillon, and guess which brand it is? I guess I need to sort them although I'm not really wanting to do that, but that's probably easier than having to stop and clear jammed cases out of my 550. Haven't run across any steel cased yet but now I know to watch for them.

I don't think there's any "best" brand of brass, just whatever works for you.
Old September 2, 2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Tex S

I don't particularly like S&B. The primer pockets are too tight. I use it for "ranch brass". It is the stuff I take to shoot at the ranch where it gets lost and I don't bother finding it.
Old September 3, 2009, 07:35 AM   #13
Nowhere Man

Quote:
brass is brass or no?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So who makes the best brass then? I thought brass is brass. Where should I get my brass for .40 S&W ?

My favorite is "free".

Dave
Old September 3, 2009, 07:43 AM   #14
ZeSpectre

gdeal Said:
Quote:
brass is brass or no?
I've only bought a little (.38 Special) brass new and that I got from Starline. Seemed to be excellent quality.

Since then I've moved near a public range and (until just recently) every time I go I do a cleanup detail and wind up with a ton of brass along with all the other crap I clean out.
Old September 3, 2009, 07:47 AM   #15
Chucky64

S&B Brass

I cull the SB brass and save it for outdoor competitions.
The primer pockets were tight enough that it was causing
problems with my progressive press. The primer would flip
on the side and be crushed. Its just easier to hand prime
the brass and then reload it.
Old September 3, 2009, 12:11 PM   #16
K.W.

S&B means "Schlecht & billig"; Bad & cheap.
Old September 3, 2009, 10:05 PM   #17
brando77

here's some pics of both cases both WCC & S&B, looks like both had their primers crimped
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3714.JPG (118.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3715.JPG (110.1 KB, 46 views)
Old September 3, 2009, 10:48 PM   #18
zxcvbob

S&B is very good brass, except the primer pockets are a little too small. I run them thru a Dillon Super Swage and that fixes 'em right up.
Old September 4, 2009, 01:18 PM   #19
awaveritt

I've got one 50rd box of S&B .38 Spc. that are behaving very well after two reloads. Have not noticed any tight primer pockets. Just my limited experience with them, but satisfied so far.