The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Newtimer

Powder usage

Would the HS-6 powder be a suitable powder to use in reloading of ammunition for a 9mm, 38 special and 357 magnum. In reading my Hodgon reloading catalog it shows it can be used. But I am just looking for some feedback. I am new to pistol reloading, but not to reloading in general as I have been reloading my rifles for about 20 yrs (30/30 and 30-.06). I recently purchase a S/W .357 with a 4" barrel and a 9mm. Any recomendation as to what grain of bullets to use for the 9mm .38 special and .357. These are basically going to be used for target shooting only for me and my daughter, so I really dont need anything too agressive. But I would like the powder to be clean burning so I dont have unburnt powder all over me and the gun.
Thanks
Jeff
Old May 24, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Dingoboyx

Hi newtimer

Welcome to TFL

Best you go by your manual, good manual is like a bible to reloaders. Other folk on internet forums can advise, but the words in the manual are the words to pay most attention to, especially about starting loads & not just loading to the max straight off.... to easy to go Kaboom

I havent used that particular powder, I use mainly Win 231 & Trail Boss (CAS) Trail Boss wouldnt be suitable for the 9mm, but is great in larger cases that requir small quantities of smokeless (for example 44-40, 44 mag with 6-7gr of smokeless is like, nearly an empty case) whereas the same weight of Trail Boss fills the case (nearly)

I have had alot of success with W231, it burns clean as does TB
Old May 24, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
madmo44mag

Always consult more than one manual.
Seldom are two in agreement.
I've used HS-6 but it was just not as versatile as some others in a number of different loading per caliber or as many calibers.
After extensive load testing and e-mailing the powder manufacture (ALLIANT) I have settled on Alliant Power Pistol for almost everything I load now.
9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 357Sig, 38spl, light 357mag, 44Spl and cast 44mag.
Based on the e-mails Alliant sent me, Power Pistol is far more versatile than they market it as.
Every time I send them a new load in to re-evaluate my data I got the "Good to GO' and a note of we have submitted this load to marketing as we feel here in R&D that is a viable load for the cartridge submitted. Our requests to have it added to our loading data has gone unanswered.
It sure cuts down on the number of powders I have to keep on hand.
Everything except full bore magnum loads are loaded in power pistol, Mag loads are either 2400 or IMR4227

Well, just my two cents
Old May 24, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Shoney

Newtimer

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

Although HS-6 can be used in all three, my testing showed good acuracy and performance, other powders were better suited to all three of your cartridges than HS-6. Although Power Pistol did perform well, I termed it in my notes as abbusive with large flash even in bright lighting conditions. While nightime flash is blinding.

Accurate Arms #5 and Hodgdon Universal gave best results in all 3. They metered well, were very accurate at middle velocities. I chose Universal because it burned a little cleaner and gave higher velocities with the recoil. Additionally the Universal used fewer grains / load and was therefore a lot more economical.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 24, 2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Newtimer

Shoney

Thanks. A further question. Is there any preference as to bullets. I.E 115 grain, 125 grain etc.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Dingoboyx

Newtimer

For what caliber are you asking about bullet weight?

For 9mm in my Glock 34 I usually use 125gr.... I have used 115gr & I know some folk use 147gr. I like 125s because the heavier bullet has lots of inertia to rack the slide every time... although I have not had any trouble with the 115s I have used. I have seen written 147gr is not a good idea (the general consensus is to keep away from 'heavier' bullets in 9mm.... perhaps the slide racking is a bit too violent? I am not sure why)

So, I just stick to using 125gr (when I reload) or factory ammo I use 115s or 125s