The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2002, 08:29 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

Mossberg 590, 590A1, confused

Okay, here's how I thought it was:

The Mossberg 590 is an 8+1 model with a 20" barrel.

The M590A1 was the same as above, but with a heavier barrel (preventing installation of a heat shield), metal trigger guard, metal safety, and the bayonet lug.

But I've read posts where people have been complaining about the plastic trigger groups on their 590s that have bayo lugs.

Can you put a heat shield on the heavier barrel? If not Mossberg factory, what about aftermarket? Will that Tac-Star shield fit? Can the Mossy one be modified?

Which versions do or don't have the bayo lug?

Just wondering. Mossberg only lists two 590A1 models on their webpage.
Old May 26, 2002, 08:33 PM   #2
The Walrus

The heavier heat shield, which you DON'T REALLY NEED will mess with the Ghost Ring Sights on a mossberg 590. I greatly prefer my un-heat-shielded 590 w/ speed feed and ghost rings.

Heat shields look cool in movies, but unless you are firing 50+ rounds constantly in a combat situation, are not needed. The 590 already has a relatively thick barrel, which dissipates heat nicely. The natural barrel thickness also makes it a great candidate for vang comping.

The plastic trigger group has never given my any trouble, although I would most likely purchase the 590A1 if buying this gun again.

Also look into the marine-coat weather resistant finish, if you live in a humid climate.

On mossberg's site, find the 590 model #50668. That's my ideal all-purpose sporter & self defense weapon, comes with bayo lug, etc.
Old May 27, 2002, 02:09 AM   #3
Nightcrawler

So BOTH the 9-shot 590 and 9-shot 590A1 (I specify 9-shot because there are 6-shot 590A1s as well) comes with the bayo lug, but the A1 has the heavy barrel, metal trigger guard, and metal safety?

Okay, how would the heat shield interfere with the ghost ring sights? Looking at the pictures, the rear sight is mounted on top of the receiver, and the front sight way at the end of the barrel. Observe:

I don't think the heat shield would interfere with the ghost ring sight setup. The reason I heard you couldn't put the Mossberg factory heat shield on the 590A1 was because it wouldn't fit over the heavier barrel. Would the Tac-Star heat guard fit over the heavy barrel? it's not that I think one is necessary by a long shot, but what the hell, if it looks cool.

Same with the bayo lug. More out of coolness than any need. I do, however, want the parkerized finish.
Old May 27, 2002, 08:07 AM   #4
yankytrash

"If it don't fit, you ain't usin a big enough hammer, boy." - The rally cry of my fix-it-all father.
Old May 27, 2002, 10:18 AM   #5
cuerno de chivo

I've put 100 rounds of trap loads (Wally World, around 13 bucks) as fast as I could through a 18.5" 590A1. It didn't need a heat shield IMO. The heavy bbl works fine. BTW I'd reccomend a Bantam stock and after-market recoil pad. Makes it much easier to shoot (ease of mounting and better handling of recoil).
Old May 27, 2002, 06:37 PM   #6
wp

590-A1

Iv'e got the 590a1 20'' and it's already too muzzle heavy to even think about hanging more iron on it. I find that for my wife to be able to hold it long enough to get a sight picture (ghost rings ) that i need to keep it down loaded by 3,4,or5 rounds so she can hold it.I've shot hundreds of rounds through it and never needed a shield but they do look COOL