The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 13, 2020, 12:13 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
but that guns were so dangerous, so evil, that he could never imagine having one in his own home, let alone having it loaded and available.
And yet, the police carry loaded guns on their persons!!

Do your relatives think that a badge, and perhaps a uniform renders them immune to the siren call of evil from the danger of having a loaded gun???
Old June 13, 2020, 12:46 PM   #27
vito

I'm afraid that they do believe the police are so well trained, and so used to handling firearms, that they do not feel alarmed when seeing an armed officer. I have actually spoken to these relatives and told them that it is highly likely that I shoot more often than the average LEO who has to "qualify" twice a year in most places and for many, that is the only time that they actually fire their gun. I showed my nephew data that showed that licensed concealed carriers are less likely than off duty LEO's to be arrested for violent crimes. But facts do not matter, just as when I explain what the NRA does it goes in one ear and out the other. These people have been told for decades that the NRA exists only to encourage sales for gun companies, has no concern for the damage done by firearms, blah, blah, blah. Even my older brother, the father of these nephews and nieces, a man who served as an officer in the Army (a very long time ago) says he would not have a gun in his house because of the danger and because he is sure he does not need one. I've mostly given up trying to educate them after decades of banging my head against the wall.
Old June 14, 2020, 07:35 AM   #28
RETG

Don't care about Elmer, but I hope they never unarm Yosemite Sam!
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 14, 2020, 08:05 AM   #29
Hal

Quote:
While living in St. Louis during the mid-1950s, I played “Army” with a real BAR.
I think we have the winner of "best sentence ever on an online forum".
DEWAT or not - that's a clear winner.
Old June 14, 2020, 02:33 PM   #30
the45er

I was born in 1949. I played "cowboys and Indians" and "army" all the time growing up. We would do "shoot and falls" as we played. Our theatrical falls would rival Errol Flynn in drama. I was G.I. Joe, Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, Jungle Jim, Tarzan or Zorro on any given play day. But you know what, I never had any difficulty in understanding the difference between "play" and "real". Gun safety was numero uno with my dad. Zero tolerance for sweeping my Benjamin pump pellet rifle across something I didn't intend to shoot. One forgetful moment in leaving a safety off and our weekend trips to the river to shoot nutria, snakes, rats or whatever would be postponed a week. That was traumatic.

In today's times it is absolutely ok for video games to be played that depict horrific body part explosions and hundreds of as-realistic-as-possible kills and somehow Elmer Fudd having a shotgun is wrong? Jeeezuusss!!! Those of you that think this is trivial need to freekin' wake up! "One ball at a time............" TangoLima - you are spot on!
Old June 14, 2020, 04:46 PM   #31
dewcrew8

WOW!!! Taken the gun out of Hunting and giving Elmer Fudd a scythe to chase bugs bunny & daffy duck is Crazy!! That's what they did , Saying it's ok with stuff like booby traps , tnt is ok but no shotgun . That's like saying to your Kids its ok to run with scissors! One more step for the other side to tell us we don't need guns for hunting ! Yes its a cartoon but really it comes down to common sense which is a lost thing in today's world! Ok I'am off my soapbox now!
Old June 17, 2020, 12:09 PM   #32
Shadow9mm

I'm torn. In all honesty elmer's gun safety was poor at best and he was a bad example. That said as a kid i knew it was a goofy cartoon and did not equate it with real guns. i watched a clip of the new cartoon, him chasing bugs with the grim reaper blade was far more terrifying than the shotgun!
Old June 18, 2020, 06:25 PM   #33
rc

The new Elmer Fud will work for PETA and protest with his arms around Bugs... his new lover.
Old July 3, 2020, 05:55 AM   #34
bill460

It would appear the name, "Loony Tunes" is becoming much more appropriate for that company.
Old July 4, 2020, 05:06 AM   #35
rc

Back when kids got in fist fights, were spanked, had their recess taken away, went without dinner, were verbally scolded when they did wrong etc, they learned to have some empathy for others. Now they lie with impunity and if they don't get their way they explode without remorse or empathy. I think there is no reason to make new cartoons without the old characters we know and love. In the case of Elmer fud, that includes a double barreled shotgun as part of his persona.
Old July 4, 2020, 07:03 AM   #36
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not just Elmer. What's Yosemite Sam without his six guns?
Jeepaholic
Old July 4, 2020, 08:07 AM   #37
ammo.crafter

Elmer

Another example of a small group pushing their agenda to alter history.

BTW Elmer never did shoot Bugs did he?
Old July 4, 2020, 08:13 AM   #38
ghbucky

Elmer Fudd was hilarious. The modern remakes are pathetic.

As far as the gun control crowd goes, the last few weeks have put the nails in that coffin for another decade at the least.
Old July 4, 2020, 08:50 AM   #39
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What's Yosemite Sam without his six guns?
Yosemite Redwood Sensitivity Ranger.
Old July 4, 2020, 02:54 PM   #40
10-96

Quote:
Yosemite Redwood Sensitivity Ranger.
Seriously guys, why can't ya'll give us "Thumbs Up" buttons?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 4, 2020, 05:07 PM   #41
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the45er View Post

In today's times it is absolutely ok for video games to be played that depict horrific body part explosions and hundreds of as-realistic-as-possible kills and somehow Elmer Fudd having a shotgun is wrong? Jeeezuusss!!! Those of you that think this is trivial need to freekin' wake up!

I'm quite awake, thank you. Altho I too think that disarming ol" Elmer, regardless of his horrific gun handling, is going to do little to curb gun violence in the world, I do understand where folks are coming from. The introduction and condoning of random violence to children at an age where they are very impressionable may have consequences, especially when they are too young to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

BTW.....
Those video games you are referring to are rated R or PEGI 18, meaning they are only sold to folks over the age of 18 and are intended for use of folks over 18. Bugs Bunny is intended for the youngest of kids. Big difference. Kids under the age of 18 playing those video games had those games bought by an adult and are probably played in the same adult's household. Parents who only have to answer to themselves for the irresponsible actions. Not the same with Bugs and the folks that produce and distribute it. When I was a parent with kids under the age of 18, I did let my underaged kids play those types of games because they were old enough and responsible enough to know that the violence they saw was fake and not acceptable in real life. I did not let the neighbor kids or other friends play those same games in my house unless they were 18 or had THEIR parents permision since so many folks have different impresions of what is acceptable. This is what I see here.
Old July 4, 2020, 06:47 PM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

Taking always Elmer's gun has nothing to do with gun safety, its a heavy handed attempt at virtue signaling by the current owners of the character.

Seems its ok to chase and try to kill Bugs, as long as its not being done with a gun, because guns are "bad" and killing Bugs with a sharp blade apparently is not.

the current owners are trying to show off how good and caring they are by removing Elmer's gun.

I will admit to a degree of bias, but to me the modern kids cartoons, including "new" adventures of our old favorites are nearly all crap. And some of them are crap pushing social messages I disagree with.

One has to go search the internet to find cartoons from the WWII era because today they are deemed racist. Ethnic character cartoons have been removed. We're no longer allowed to see the past for what it actually was, only the "approved" version, and its been going on for decades, at least. Today's fanatics pulling down statures is just the most recent action of something that's been going on for some time.
Old July 4, 2020, 09:05 PM   #43
jag2

If Elmer was dumb enough to try and shoot his gun after Bugs tied the barrel in a knot maybe he shouldn’t own a gun.