The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 27, 2020, 12:06 AM   #151
Metal god

What ever dude , I was very clear the second time around with my point .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 27, 2020, 12:07 AM   #152
44 AMP
Staff

Why spoil a good story with the Facts?

I had a 4.2" mortar tube made by Whirlpool...

My Grandmother had an International Harvester refridgerator!

We've had guns or parts made by all kinds of people, besides traditional gun makers...What was Rock-o-la famous for? it wasn't M1 carbines
Singer??

Union Switch & Signal?

The list is long...

However, all of those on that list have been documented. Most several different and unassailable ways.

Mattel making M16s (or any parts)??

not so much...
Old May 27, 2020, 06:53 PM   #153
Bart B.

What about folks who don't spell the rifle's alphanumeric military designation correctly?

Ditto for he Garand.
Old May 27, 2020, 07:29 PM   #154
TheGlimmerMan

What's Your Favorite Firearm Myth?

My favorite myth is 1911s are obsolete and unreliable and 45 ACP lost the caliber wars.

My second favorite myth is the FN 5.7x28 is just a 22 magnum unsuitable for self-defense.
Old May 27, 2020, 07:33 PM   #155
Metal god

Bart , like AR-15 when talking about all AR/M-16 like firearms ? Isn’t it kind of like bumping the shoulder or Case headspace ? If it’s the excepted norm by the vast majority does it really matter what everybody else thinks ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 27, 2020, 07:39 PM   #156
RickB

Something that I had read, more than once, is that during the Vietnam war, only Colt made M16s.
Years and years later, I saw a pic of a Harrington & Richardson M16, and figured that must have been fake, because I'd read only Colt made them.
But, H&R did make M16s.
Old May 27, 2020, 08:11 PM   #157
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlimmerMan View Post
My favorite myth is 1911s are obsolete and unreliable and 45 ACP lost the caliber wars.

My second favorite myth is the FN 5.7x28 is just a 22 magnum unsuitable for self-defense.
FN Five Seven will mess you up.
Old May 27, 2020, 09:51 PM   #158
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
What about folks who don't spell the rifle's alphanumeric military designation correctly?
M-Sixteen? M--16? M16-A1?
Old May 28, 2020, 06:55 AM   #159
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
Bart , like AR-15 when talking about all AR/M-16 like firearms ? Isn’t it kind of like bumping the shoulder or Case headspace ?
No.

Quote:
If it’s the excepted norm by the vast majority does it really matter what everybody else thinks ?
Depends on whether you want to be factually or emotionally correct. It's kind of like typing a space between letters and punctuation marks.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 28, 2020 at 07:18 AM.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:12 PM   #160
Erno86

Pronounce it what you will...M-1 Garand --- I'm not going to argue...

Sorry "Guh-Rand" fans --- But the correct pronunciation is "Gair-und".

--- George Orwell
Old May 28, 2020, 12:22 PM   #161
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Something that I had read, more than once, is that during the Vietnam war, only Colt made M16s.
Years and years later, I saw a pic of a Harrington & Richardson M16, and figured that must have been fake, because I'd read only Colt made them.
But, H&R did make M16s.
The M-16E1, yes that is an E, not an A though the configuration was basically the A1, I was issued in basic training at Fort Ord in 1977 was made by GM Hydramatic (sp?) Division. At least that was on the lower receiver. I don't remember if there was any date.

https://www.military.com/veteran-job...g-of-m-16.html with some additional evidence that there were lots of non-Colts floating around during the Vietnam War.

Last edited by ballardw; May 28, 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old May 29, 2020, 01:35 PM   #162
Ruark

You always fire a machine gun from the waist (like Rambo did).
Old May 29, 2020, 01:46 PM   #163
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
Pronounce it what you will...M-1 Garand --- I'm not going to argue...

Sorry "Guh-Rand" fans --- But the correct pronunciation is "Gair-und".
Phonetically, it's string of characters are pronounced....

Em dash wun gare und

Last edited by Bart B.; May 29, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old May 29, 2020, 05:44 PM   #164
Sevens

I always walk a fine line between stating what I believe in my heart and peeving off 95% of the people who read it when I post it:

Myth: “Guns were made to be shot”

Me: No. Military contract guns, yes. All commercial guns from the pot metal clunkers up to the irrationally engraved and one-off customs... all of these were made to be sold

The myth comes up every time the term “safe queen” is used.

I find it endlessly frustrating that folks believe their own personal axioms and mantras should apply to others. “I won’t own a gun I don’t shoot!” This is fine and God love ya for setting stringent rules for yourself but you’re wrong when you believe this is “just how it should be.”
Old May 29, 2020, 06:07 PM   #165
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I always walk a fine line between stating what I believe in my heart and peeving off 95% of the people who read it when I post it:

Myth: “Guns were made to be shot”

Me: No. Military contract guns, yes. All commercial guns from the pot metal clunkers up to the irrationally engraved and one-off customs... all of these were made to be sold

The myth comes up every time the term “safe queen” is used.

I find it endlessly frustrating that folks believe their own personal axioms and mantras should apply to others. “I won’t own a gun I don’t shoot!” This is fine and God love ya for setting stringent rules for yourself but you’re wrong when you believe this is “just how it should be.”
I love my safe queens.
Old May 30, 2020, 01:55 PM   #166
Erno86

SAKO rifles are not pronounced "sa-ko" --- It is correctly pronounced "sock-o" in the Finnish language.

Along with Lapua --- Not "La-pua"...but "Lap-wa", as in Lapland.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; May 30, 2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 30, 2020, 08:54 PM   #167
Bart B.

Well, last time I checked, a universal set of names, terms and conventions was written or spoken, everyone understood them the first time sensed.

SAAMI has a glossary for most if them.
Old May 31, 2020, 01:32 AM   #168
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Well, last time I checked, a universal set of names, terms and conventions was written or spoken, everyone understood them the first time sensed.
Just make sure to keep checking!

If your job is selling "news" or your opinion, disguised as important, using terms in the accepted way is only relevant when you want it to be.

Seems a number of people in politics do the same thing.

And, its not JUST guns!

There are a number of things that I wouldn't call myths, so much as opinion.

Mostly a "this is no good for that" kind of thing. Now if you add a because "it annoys them" or this is best for that because "if the bullet is even close it will knock them down" and, fools repeat it, then you're into a "myth".

Other myths interpretations of something in the past for which we have no conclusive proof.

Some of them are humorous, some just go too far.
Old May 31, 2020, 06:10 AM   #169
reynolds357

Quote:
SAKO rifles are not pronounced "sa-ko" --- It is correctly pronounced "sock-o" in the Finnish language.

I was at a shoot last year where one of the executives of Lapua USA was there. I guess he needs you to teach him how to pronounce it.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:41 AM   #170
Sevens

Sorry, but THAT^ isn’t a definitive answer either. I chatted with a paid, traveling and factory-outfitted company rep for S&W at an expo who had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that S&W had made all steel 10mm pistols from 1990-1994.

Oh and this conversation went down a decade ago, not last week. He kept trying to steer the conversation toward his display of M&P pistols (which his company refuses to chamber in 10mm, I might add)
Old May 31, 2020, 05:56 PM   #171
Metal god

Quote:
Sorry, but THAT^ isn’t a definitive answer either. I chatted with a paid, traveling and factory-outfitted company rep for S&W at an expo who had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that S&W had made all steel 10mm pistols from 1990-1994.
Knowing every model and metal they were made of the company you work for has made and knowing how to pronounce there name is two different things don't ya think . How often does that pistol come up in his daily , weekly monthly , yearly conversations compared to how often he has to say Lapua in that same time frame .

Not saying either of you are right or wrong , just that would not have been my opening argument haha .

Last edited by Metal god; May 31, 2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old May 31, 2020, 07:43 PM   #172
Sevens

*their (don’t ya think)
Old May 31, 2020, 08:56 PM   #173
dogtown tom

Quote:
reynolds357
Quote:
Quote:

I was at a shoot last year where one of the executives of Lapua USA was there. I guess he needs you to teach him how to pronounce it.
Straight from Lapua:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INK-8K9xx_c

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 31, 2020, 10:09 PM   #174
Metal god

Stevens , lol I always forget there’s another thier here . I don’t even know when to use that one :-(

Old May 31, 2020, 11:23 PM   #175
Colorado Redneck

Sevens.....just saying