The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old June 4, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Venom1956

Want to get your take on an AOW argument.

So I stumbled across a video on Youtube that pertained to the Draco pistol.

Long story short They had installed MI Rails and had a magpul AFG on it. A pistol with a foregrip becomes an AOW, now if its a properly licensed AOW no issue but it wasn't mentioned in the video what so ever. So for the sake of keeping people out of prison and trouble with the ATF I mentioned that in the comments.

I got the usual screaming name calling death threats and what not.

But one person said he didnt feel that a AFG qualified as a 'foregrip.' I totally disagree 100% but I thought I would ask here to satisfy my curiosity.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Tom Servo; June 4, 2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Removed quoted "F***"
Old June 4, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
But one person said he didnt feel that a AFG qualified as a 'foregrip.' I totally disagree 100% but I thought I would ask here to satisfy my curiosity.
The actual wording is "vertical foregrip." The AFG isn't really "vertical." That said, the ATF hasn't put in their two cents yet.
Old June 4, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
musher

Quote:
the ATF hasn't put in their two cents yet
and THAT is really what counts. If the AFT declares a 40 degree angle to fall within the definition of vertical, then that's what it is--until a court decides otherwise.

risk-reward analysis applies here, I would think.
Old June 4, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Toxdoc

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0qy...zUx/edit?hl=en

Page 3, last question/answer is directly on point.

http://www.dustyjacket.com/shooting/atf-afg.jpg
The question directly asked to the ATF. Basically, an AFG is not a vertical foregrip.
Old June 4, 2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxdoc View Post
The question directly asked to the ATF. Basically, an AFG is not a vertical foregrip.
Great find! I was unaware they'd issued an opinion on that.
Old June 5, 2013, 05:24 AM   #6
Justice06RR

Yes, as far as I know it is legal to have the Angled ForeGrip, but not a Vertical ForeGrip of any kind. I made sure of that, and the preceeding documents above definitively confirms this.

Which is why I have the Magpul AFG on my Draco AK.
Old June 5, 2013, 07:48 AM   #7
teeroux

Lots of open class pistols in the Bianchi cup use an angled forward bar with a flat on the bottom as a finger grasp. If those don't count as a vertical foregrips I doubt that anyone could ever consider the angled thing from magpul a vertical foregrip.
Old June 20, 2013, 01:00 PM   #8
WV_gunner

I'd never put any kind of forward grip on my Draco. Way too easy to have legal issues. They'd seem like it'd just get in the way anyways. Got a red dot for a dust cover mount awaiting to be installed and gonna get a single point sling.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:55 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
WV_gunner I'd never put any kind of forward grip on my Draco. Way too easy to have legal issues....
Did you not read the post above with a link to the ATF ruling?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old June 20, 2013, 07:31 PM   #10
WV_gunner

And the ATF is always so clear on their rules and never changed their mind. And with my luck, I'd run into a cop that knows about the vertical grip thing but not the ATF ruling on a specific product. I'll make the arresting officer reads the link to the ATF ruling.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

The question has been answered, and this is veering into bickering. Let's close this on a high note.
Closed Thread