The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 24, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1
sigcurious

AR Lower Assembly Tool Kit?

Kit

Would this suffice for putting together a lower?

One of the guides on AR15.com basically uses these tools, but with one additional punch (5/32). As from the different guides I've seen people use a wide range of proper to improvised tools, so I'm not sure what to get.

Would I just be better off getting an AR multiwrench/tool and a complete set of punches I could use for other things too?
Old March 25, 2012, 05:18 AM   #2
NWCP

Get a simple, but adequate gunsmith's tool kit. It all comes in handy sooner, or later. Don't forget a decent torque wrench while you're at it. That and a good assortment of fasteners.
Old March 25, 2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Mobuck

I use the following tools:
8 oz brass hammer
5/32 pin punch(I have several extras as these bend/break if not struck square)
Brownell's detent install tool(pays for itself in time and lost detents/springs)
padded lead block for support while driving trigger guard pin
screwdriver/allen wrench that fits pistol grip screw
pin punch that matches size of trigger/hammer pin as a slave pin
magwell lower receiver holding fixture
small bench vise
bits and pieces of the flotsam that floats around the top of my workbench as needed

I have assembled a couple of lowers using a pad on the kitchen table and an extra pair of hands but the magwell fixture is worth the cost.
Old March 25, 2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Marquezj16

I assembled my lower using regular punches. You will need a needle nose plier and a small ball peen or brass hammer for setting the two roll pins (bolt catch and trigger guard). Unless you plan on buying roll pin holders.

The kit you are showing is okay if you are only doing the lower receiver. If you plan to do the upper, then you might as well get an armorers tool and a upper/lower vise clamp kit (I picked mine up from PSA).

I think the hardest part on the lower is getting the roll pin for the bolt catch in. Take your time on this and your receiver will come out with out a scratch.
Old March 25, 2012, 08:58 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Depending on what tools you already own you could get by with a pair of vise grips and duct tape.

A few "gunsmithing" tools are nice to have and make the job easier. You well also have less chances of damaging the finish when installing roll pins, something I see a lot of.

The Lyman hammer and punch set is nice quality and affordable.

Roll pin punches are nice to have.

A Armors tool is not really needed but sure makes life easier.

You can use a allen wrench to install the pivot pin detent. The 23&P has instructions on making a tool for the pin detent.

Add a torque wrench to the above and you have everything to do upper and lower.