The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 2, 2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Adizzle19

Considering a Walther P22 (vs a Taurus 94)

I've been looking for a .22 for plinking and recently came across a p22. 4 mags included and there's a Chance I could get it for about 200$. I've read about it online but I'm hoping for a few more opinions on the gun. There is the possibility someone with low tolerance for recoil could be carrying it. So, I'm asking the TFL brain trust, what say you?

Also, for about the same price, I found a Taurus 94 which would be for the same purposes. Again, read a little bit hoping for more.

Not sure which way I'm leaning, I like auto loaders better but I like the reliability in a .22 from the revolver.

Help!
Old April 2, 2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

I've had a P22 for some time. They are a lot of fun, but like many rimfire semi-autos can be quite ammo sensitive. For lower cost range shooting, Remington Golden Bullet works great. But being a bulk pack "value" ammo, the incidence of duds is more often. On the other hand, CCI MiniMags run great, are accurate, and much more reliable. Can't say for sure hiw nany rounds I have down the pipe in my P22, but I'm certain it is in multiple thousands, and I have never had a mechanical failure, or stoppage tgat wasn't ammo related.
Now, get ready to hear about the "potmetal" slides, and how they arejust waiting to crack, and fall apart. Mostly based on a few problems on early models, and in particular the ones with a longer barrel, and fake compensator attached with a set screw that when not installed correctly was hammered by the front of the slide causing the failure.
New prices on Wikiarms start around $195. With free shipping, and a transfer fee from a FFL, you would be around $215-$230 NEW. The mags can be found on ebay in the $17-$25 range, so add another $35-$40 for a similar, new package price of $250-$270.
Check the Walther forum here for a lot more information.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=48
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 2, 2016, 04:28 PM   #3
caleb90

Sr22 and be done
Old April 2, 2016, 05:17 PM   #4
gbclarkson

I have had a Taurus 94 for about 15 years with ~3000 rounds through it. No reliability issues. It is the most accurate (for me) handgun I own and, oddly, also the cheapest. I can routinely hit a 1 foot by 1 foot steel plate at 50 yrds. while shooting with a basic Weaver-ish stance. That is firing SA, though. Its DA pull is AWFUL!!!

When I do get a chance to go to the range it is the gun that always goes with because it is the least likely to lead to accuracy-related frustration.
Old April 2, 2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Adizzle19

Seems pretty split so far, ugh!!! Tentatively decided on the p22 since all my other handguns are semis. But I could see if I could get both...

Been considering a .22 for some time and had planned to get an sr22, but if a p22 works and only costs me 200$ with extra mags I'll probably take it.
Old April 2, 2016, 06:16 PM   #6
amd6547

I'd never try to talk you out of an easy perceived deal, but I have to say that my Ruger SR22 is one of the only guns I ever ran out and bought as soon as it hit the market.
And, it has been great! It's been reliable enough in a few thousand rounds of plinking that I do sometimes carry it.
Old April 2, 2016, 06:34 PM   #7
Ibmikey

Go for your choice on the "good deal" I had a Walther and did not care for it, never had a Taurus but have several S&W kit guns and love them. My favorite of the current semi autos is the S&W M&P compact .22 a real winner in the plinking world.
Old April 2, 2016, 10:26 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

I'm guessing the P22 is used? If that's the case be very wary. Do some research on it yourself.

The Taurus 94 (I have), is ok. Accuracy ok. Finish, just ok. Function . . .after a couple of hundred rounds, the cylinder starts sticking. I'm thinking tolerances are too tight and the heat expands the metal.

Personally, I'd get the SR22. It's a good small plinker.
Old April 2, 2016, 10:59 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

For carry, I would recommend the Ruger SR22 over the Walther P22. I have both and the SR22 has been significantly more reliable than the Walther. The Walther is a lot of fun, but it's not a gun I would ever consider for self-defense use. In fact, I would probably have never purchased it had the SR22 been available at the time. It hasn't been shot much since the SR22 was bought.

In either case, you need to carry only the best quality ammo (CCI is usually a good choice) and make sure you've put at least 100 rounds downrange to insure that the gun likes it. High velocity ammo usually offers a little better reliability because it cycles the gun more "emphatically".

Tags
.22 , p22 , taurus , walther