The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 28, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1
jcinga

The Benefits of Personal Protection

Here's an article in today's Atlanta newspaper that might be of interest. Personal protection,......because you just never know! Unfortunately, the way things are going in our current society and with with "Steve Urkel" in the White House, this will probably become an increasing trend. "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!"

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ge_tab_newstab
Old February 28, 2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Jon1911

Cliffs

Quote:
Two men knocked on the door of a home in the 3500 block of Bob Hannah Drive around 5:15 p.m., police said. The homeowner was home, but didn’t respond.

The pair continued to knock. When no one answered, they kicked in the door, Gwinnett police spokeswoman Illana Spellman said.

The resident fired, striking and killing one of the intruders in the doorway, Spellman said. The second man ran away.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:36 PM   #3
jpoolsmyd2

Quote:
It is not certain if the invaders knew the homeowner. Police have not charged him in connection with the incident, Spellman said.
This is certaily the situation we all dread, but are glad that we are prepared for it becuase we have protected our family and home.

My question is: What are the legal ramifications here? The homeowner shot and killed a person immediatly after they kicked in the door and entered the premisis. What will the DA's office do? The article said that the homeowner was not charged in the incident. I'm glad, but surprised. From what I have read, I was under the impression that even if you are defending your home and kill someone, you are automatically under investigation.

I am completely on the side of the homeowner, please understand that. I am just trying to figure out what the legal steps are in a case like this.

Anyone have any insight, here?
Old February 28, 2009, 10:49 PM   #4
chibiker

Quote:
My question is: What are the legal ramifications here? The homeowner shot and killed a person immediatly after they kicked in the door and entered the premisis. What will the DA's office do? The article said that the homeowner was not charged in the incident. I'm glad, but surprised. From what I have read, I was under the impression that even if you are defending your home and kill someone, you are automatically under investigation.
Big difference between being charged and being under investigation. Way too few a details in the story as it was posted.... who knows what if any connection there could be between the homeowner and the men at the door, I am sure the homeowner is indeed under investigation.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Viking Josh

LOL owned
Old February 28, 2009, 11:30 PM   #6
jpoolsmyd2

Quote:
Big difference between being charged and being under investigation
Ok, that makes sense. So the guy is probably under investigation, but not indicted. And you're right, not enough details yet to make an armchair judgement on this one.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

While self defense is, in and of itself, a civil right, the discussion in the OP is not about a legal or civil right issue.

Closed for being off topic.
Closed Thread