The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 7, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Polinese

New fixed power scope SWFA or Leupold

I prefer fixed power scopes. Had a bushnell 10x that I liked but when it failed on me (even though bushnell supposedly fixed it, i've been scared to mount it up again) I bought a redfield which is a decent scope for the money but I want to pick up another fixed power for my 308. The two main scopes I"m looking at are the Leupold FX-2 6x and the SWFA SS 6x or 10x with the mil/mil adjustments.

Anyone prefer one to the other? I've read good things on the adjustments and clarity of both scopes. Guess I'm looking for which one tends to be a little more rugged (even though I baby my guns)

Last edited by Polinese; October 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2
SCDeac82

Are you thinking of the FX II's for the Leupolds?
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old October 7, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Polinese

Yes I changed the original post, all the different ones confuse me as I can make no sense of it other than higher number higher price.
Old October 7, 2012, 01:46 PM   #4
old roper

Leupold been making below scope for few years 6x42AO and I have that on one of my varmint rifles been a good scope solid everything track greats but it's pretty expensive compare to the others.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...x42mm-adj-obj/

I have two early Leupold 6x compact with AO, one I left original other I had target knobs and dot install both are good scopes.

Fixed powers I like AO's. Another good 6x is the older Weaver T-6 steel tube and you can find them in the $200 to $250 range and they been holding their value.

Well good luck
NRA Life Member
Old October 7, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Polinese

Thanks I was actually looking at that scope but being a "competition" scope I didn't know if that would make it more or less fragile.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
old roper

Polinese, The Leupold I posted was made for the Score Hunter Class and Varmint-Hunter Class matches which is limited to a 6x . Varmint for Score can use any X scope.

Below is some information

Score Shooting
score shootingIn the sport of Benchrest there are two completely different scoring methods. In group shooting one must put five shots in the smallest group possible. In score shooting each and every shot is scored separately. Therefore, in essence, one could say that score shooting consists of twenty-five one-shot matches at a set distance (100, 200, 300 yards). By this statement we mean that once the shot is fired, and on the target, there is absolutely nothing that can change the score.

A score shooting target consists of 6 targets (a sighter target and 5 record targets) each having rings with a bull and center dot called an "x". The value of the shot is determined by the highest scoring ring touched. If the shot touches the center dot or "x", it is scored a 10X -- the highest possible score. The five record targets are added together to determine the match score -- highest possible score is 50- 5X. The sighter target may have as many shots on it as you need. The five matches are added to determine the day's score -- highest possible score is 250-25X. Since the inception of score shooting, the Varmint for Score class has reached this highest possible score of 250-25X and now records are kept by wipe-outs. A wipe-out is when the center dot or "x" is completely gone. The other classes will do the same once their records reach the 250-25X mark.

The dot that is mention for the 10x score at 100yd is only .060" in dia at 200yd dot is .110" dia you not only have accuracy rifle but scopes to match. The 10 is always easy but the x with 6x that hard.
NRA Life Member
Old October 8, 2012, 08:35 AM   #7
kahrguy

Might want to look at Sightron scopes too. These are a very good quality scopes and can be viewed as good or better than leupold for bench shooters. There do have some models in close out at SWFA -

http://swfa.com/Sightron-6x42-SII-Bi...ope-P9153.aspx

http://swfa.com/Sightron-10x42-SIII-...pe-P45294.aspx
Old October 8, 2012, 08:51 AM   #8
coyota1

I think SWFA is a company that deals with scopes.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:48 PM   #9
kahrguy

coyota1 Might benifit you to ckeck there web site first and see the couple scope they sale under there name.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MOA-Scopes-C4226.aspx
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx
Old October 10, 2012, 05:13 AM   #10
HiBC

I have used a 6x by 42 mm Leupold for a long time.Mine has no PA or target knobs,just a standard duplex.Unless they made a change,that duplex is one mil,like the mil-dot,from center to the tip of the heavier crosshair.That is useful for range estimation and some Kentucky windage.

The 42 mm lense provides a 7 mm exit pupil,which means about as good of low light performance as you will get.

The 6x by 36 is an FX2,iirc,and the 6x by 42 mm is the FX3 series.iirc,better lense coating.

I am thinking about getting another one.

I rate them very high.
Old October 10, 2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Muler44

I have an SWFA fixed 20x scope on my 30-06. It is mainly a long range rifle for me and I really like the scope for the money. I have seen many of SWFA's scopes on the range, most in the 10x to 16x magnification format, and I've only spoke with one person who's had a problem with the scope. It was sent back to SWFA and they reportedly fixed it. Overall, I think it's a good choice in a fixed power scope.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Polinese

I do like a lot of the features of the SWFA over the leupold in the price I"m looking at. Leaning that way
Old October 12, 2012, 06:37 PM   #13
Fusion

The SWFA SS would be my choice by a long shot.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:16 PM   #14
publius

You can never go wrong with Leupold.
Old October 14, 2012, 02:00 AM   #15
highbrow

For the price, it is hard to beat SWFA's Super Sniper scopes.
I use the 20x for F class competition and it works very well.
I think they have 6x, 10x 16x and 20x. I would get a higher power if they made them.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old October 14, 2012, 02:50 AM   #16
5RWill

In this case for fixed and price i'd go SS as well. They're great scopes for the money.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:23 AM   #17
stubbicatt

To add to the confusion

I have really grown to appreciate my 6x IOR scope. You can get it with mil or moa adjustments. The glass is phenomenally clear. SWFA sells them too.

YMMV.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Clifford L. Hughes

I have used Leuolds for fourty years with complete satisfaction. I have these fixed power scope. 3X, 7.5X, 8X and a 12X with AO and target turrets. I also have a 3x9.

Leupold has a life time warranty on the scope not the life of the purchaser. So, you can buy a used scope an it will still be under warranty. In all my years selling guns, I never saw a Leupold go back for warranty work.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; October 14, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 21, 2012, 03:37 PM   #19
publius

That's where I am , Cliff. I've been using Leupolds forever and have had Burris, Nikonand Redfield also. had a problem with a Nikon and they jerked me around about fixing it, which they finally did. I've pretty much decided it's Leupold from now on b/c I've never heard of someone getting a bad one and have heard nothing but excellent reports about their service.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:41 PM   #20
HankB

I've had a Leupold 6x42 with heavy duplex reticle on my .375 H&H for over 20 years now with no problem - the current equivalent model can be seen at http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...s/fx-3-6x42mm/

This has been on a couple of African safaris and has never given me the least bit of difficulty; since you mentioned you were " . . . looking for which one tends to be a little more rugged . . . " this may be a good data point.

Last edited by HankB; October 21, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old October 22, 2012, 04:02 AM   #21
Polinese

Indeed it is hank. Thanks for the info everyone. Still undecided on which way to go.
Old October 22, 2012, 03:50 PM   #22
MJ1

;)

I received this 10X SSM in '99 and it has thousands of round shot and I prefer it to my Leupold 3-10 M3 LR. I remove it for transport and cleaning and it always shoots to the same point the next time I mount it. I don't know if anything has changed in how they are made now but I did hear SWFA changed manufactures at some point in the last ten years.

Cheers
..MJ..
- David Hackworth -
Old October 22, 2012, 07:20 PM   #23
10mmAuto

Currently manufactured SWFA scopes are better than Leupold's - what really stands out to me compared to Leupold is glass clarity, their more expensive scopes are on par with Nightforce. They have a lifetime warranty and their customer service is pretty good, which can also be said for Leupold.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:14 AM   #24
5RWill

In that price range i agree. Leupold though has re-entered itself in the top of the line optics with their new Mark 4 (locking turret), Mark 6s, and Mark 8s. Of course they also hold the price of S&B, USO, and premier. They made some strides for sure though.
Old October 23, 2012, 07:32 AM   #25
nicknitro71

SWFA SSs are built in Japan and they are quality scopes, possibly the very best for the money.

Of course, nothing wrong with a Leupold! I had a fixed 10 Leupold on my M21 while in the service that took some serious abuse and never lost its zero.