The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 20, 2005, 10:08 PM   #1
Monty

If you are in need of a flashlight...I'm giving one away!

Here is a link to a review of a good, bargain priced one (Brinkmann Maxfire LX) you may have overlooked that is worth your attention.

http://www.tacticalgearreview.com/E2evsMaxfire.html

Click here for details on how to win a Brinkman Maxfire LX Flashlight from TacticalGearReview.com

Thanks!

Last edited by Monty; June 21, 2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old June 21, 2005, 05:01 PM   #2
liliysdad

I bought one of these, and ordered a dozen batteries from Syrefire, and could not be happier. Excellent light. As a matter of fact, as soon as I get a Taser, this light will replace my Streamlight PolyStinger as my belt light in order to reduce weight, its that nice.

The batteries it comes with suck, however.
Old June 22, 2005, 11:08 PM   #3
Monty

Mine came with the Energizers which seem as good as the Surefire batteries. I know alot of people have complained about some of the batteries that came in theirs. Had to beat Surefire's prices for the replacement though.
Old June 25, 2005, 12:15 AM   #4
Bravo25

Batterystation.com

$1.00 each in bulk of 20.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old June 26, 2005, 02:28 PM   #5
PSE

tough to beat...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=33951514
Old July 18, 2005, 11:33 PM   #6
fastforty

I've been off of the forums for a few weeks, found this thread last night & thought it was worth BTT'ing. I went to my local Target store tonight & got one of the Brinkmann lights, they are STILL on sale for $16.99. I got home & did all of the side-by-side comparisons with a Surefire 6P, switched batteries and had the same results as the article. The Brinkmann did seem to have a very slightly whiter light (hmmm, maybe the lens on my Surefire needs wiping off) and yes, there was a slightly different spread but nothing noteworthy. The tailswitches look, feel & operate identically (with the exception that on the Brinkmann you can push very deep & it clicks to "constant on"). In a dark room you really can't tell which light is which. With a replacement bulb for the Surefire costing almost as much as two Brinkmann flashlights complete with batteries, these lights are a HOT deal
Old July 23, 2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Eisande

I picked up two of these just the other day after reading this thread. Bonus is that the lights fit in the standard issue flashlight holder on our leather belts at our PD. I like to have it there as a back up light in addition to the Streamlight I normally carry.
Thanks for the tip.
Old July 26, 2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Daniel BOON

Brinkman??

can you hang it on a Bushmaster? short of duck tape?
Old August 2, 2005, 02:30 AM   #9
Dead-Nuts-Zero

liliysdad -

I have a Poly Stinger that I have used for about 3 years now. I love this little light and I almost never use my Maglite because the Poly Stinger is nearly as bright and a ton smaller. The Polly don't have the knock down power (if ya know what I mean) that the Kellight or the maglites have but don't always need a big heavy light these days. I had to send the Polly in for a switch replacement, and they messed up the threads so sent it back and got a new light for free. However, the lens on the new Polly is not as good as the old one. Well worth the 85 bucks with two chargers IMO.

Anyway, is this new Brinkman any where near as bright as the Polly? I have an hours drive to get to Target but if it's a good replacement for the Polly, I will make the trip.

I would like to know your thoughts on the brightness. I think the Polly is 15,000 candlepower. I don't know how this compares to lumens. Maybe someone knows the formula to convert.

Also, where did you send for the batteries?

Thanks to all. This looks like a nice light, but I need the rechargable bright light. I hope this Brinkman is the answer.

Does WallyWorld sell them yet?
Old August 2, 2005, 10:07 AM   #10
doubleaes2

Wally World doesn't have them. They do carry Brinkman, but not that model. I could only find them at Target. $16.99
Old August 3, 2005, 01:21 PM   #11
mini14jac

Walmarts here carry the Brinkman, but they stay sold out.
They actually have two "pegs" for the Brinkman, but you seldom see any in stock.

$16.99 is a better price though.
Walmart wants $20+.
Old August 3, 2005, 05:51 PM   #12
shooter_john

Do any of the rail mounted light holders hold one of these lights? I'd like to put one on my AR.
Old August 3, 2005, 11:41 PM   #13
doubleaes2

I know that the Brinkman will fit in a standard scope ring. Atatch light to ring and ring to rail and there you go. Probably not the prettiest way to do it, but it sure is cost effective and functional.
Old August 4, 2005, 02:41 PM   #14
blackmind

In the low-end of LED flashlights, Brinkmann is king. They make some really good ones that are available at Walmart for under $20.

LED is all I will buy. I will not buy any flashlight that has a filament/is incandescent. They are a thing of the past, as far as I am concerned. They break, they dim, the color of the light goes sickly yellow as batteries fade... And LED technology has rapidly begun to approach the brightness achievable with incandescents -- but without the short lifespan and fragility.

I have a Brinkmann model that uses four LEDs and two or three D batteries (I forgot which), and it can be used with either 2 or 4 LEDs engaged. It throws off a LOT of light for the money. I'd say it's about as bright, at distance, as a 2 or 3 D cell Maglite.

I have on order two LED flashlights by Inova -- the T2 and T3, which are 2 and 3 watt LED respectively. The T3 is rated at 85 lumens; I have their X1, which is far fewer lumens (maybe 20-something?) and even that is quite bright. I suggest that people go to defensedevices.com for a REALLY good price on the Inova line. I found them to be cheaper than any other site at which I found Inova lights. I'm talkin' twenty dollars cheaper than some!

-blackmind
Old August 4, 2005, 11:01 PM   #15
Bosshoff

Monty your the man. I just picked one up today for $16.99. A VERY good buy, couldn't be happier.
Old August 4, 2005, 11:15 PM   #16
blackmind

Bleah. Go LED. You'll be even happier.

-blackmind
Old August 5, 2005, 03:51 PM   #17
Monty

Bosshoff, glad you are happy with it, I'm very happy with mine.

Blackmind, if I could buy a LED that would perform like the Brinkmann for the price of the Brinkmann I would certainly buy it. I much prefer the LED lights. Recently bought one of the Inova X1 lights and so far am very happy with it for the price. I look forward to trying some others in the Inova line, don't expect I will be disappointed.

Thanks for the defensedevices.com link. With the exception of e-bay, those are the best prices I have seen and their shipping is reasonable so I expect I will give them my business.

If you have a chance, please drop by my site and let me know what you think of them and the services from defensedevices.com after you receive them.

THANKS!
Old August 6, 2005, 01:43 AM   #18
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Does anyone know how to compare Lumens to Candlepower? Seems like Lumens is the more common in recent times. Is it ment for LED's?
My household lightbulbs are rated in Lumens on the package and they are not LED's. My rechargable Maglites and Streamlights are in Candlepower.
Old August 6, 2005, 11:30 AM   #19
butch50

One candlepower equals 12.57 lumens.

For figuring out LED equivalents, first you must know how many lumens your LED's each produce. Then divide that value by 12.57 and you have candlepower of the LED.

Candlepower is a rating of light output at the source, using English measurements.
Foot-candles are a measurement of light at an illuminated object again using English measurments.
Lumens are a metric equivalent to foot-candles in that they are measured at an object you want to illuminate.
Divide the number of lumens you have produced, or are capable of producing, by 12.57 and you get the candlepower equivalent of that light source.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry

Last edited by butch50; August 6, 2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old August 7, 2005, 05:35 PM   #20
chris in va

Since we're on the topic of LED flashlights...

WalMart now carries these Luxeon LED flashlights. One is the small sized aluminum and takes 3 AAA batteries, the other is a long MagLite size that looks to be plastic like the Brinkmann.

I have the LED and Maxfire flashlights and both seem to put out about the same light...bright. I like the Maxfire better as the button doesn't have a rim around it.

BTW, here's the website with a video on how they're made.http://www.lumileds.com/
Old August 8, 2005, 05:54 PM   #21
ssgmac27

Does anyone know if there are any remote pressure switches that will fit on the Brinkmann?
Old August 10, 2005, 10:29 AM   #22
Bravo25

Lets Clear up a couple of things

First there is no real conversion between candlepower, and lumens. The 2 are like trying to compare apples to oranges. Several people have tried to come up with this formula, and exponentially it doesn't play out. Candle power is basically the brightest spot of light at a given distance. Lumens are a rating of total output of light including sidespill. For further infor check here. Candlepowerforums.com

Second Led, and incadecent are virtually as different as candle power, and lumens. While they can both be rated using the systems they provide different types, and colors of lights. Even as LED approches, and in some case exceeds "throw" distance on incandecents, and increase battery runtimes, they sometimes fall short on the color spectrum. Take one of each into a heavily wooded area, and you will find that a wide spread led can provide a lot of light, but somehow lacks depth beyond the first few trees. Even if the distance is outrated of the incandecent bulb. Something in wave length of the incandecent will give you more depth of view.

Don't think I am putting down LED lights, they are gettin very good, and I own a few, but you will see things differently with the two.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old August 10, 2005, 05:08 PM   #23
sig-it

i cant believe that there is a forum concerning canldepower that has over 1000 members let alone 10,000....

i guess i need to spend more time looking into flashlights.....

(just my novice opinion....i like the three and four D maglites....)
s&w model 41 (.22lr)
cz 97B (.45 acp)
Old August 10, 2005, 06:24 PM   #24
blackmind

The 3- and 4- D Maglites are fine for crushing skulls, but the first time you drop it to the pavement accidentally and the bulb filament breaks and the light is useless except as a club, you will wish for an LED flashlight.

I can now in good conscience recommend the Inova T2 and T3 LED flashlights (2 watt and 3.2 watt, respectively). They are not burn-your-retinas-out bright, but they are quite bright for not costing $200+, they use common batteries, they get a good amount of run time, and they are compact and light.

I got mine from the best-priced website I could find, which is defensedevices.com Click the LED flashlights link, and then the Inova link (with picture).

Their T3 was like $20 less than on other sites I found.

-blackmind
Old August 11, 2005, 09:57 AM   #25
308Enfield

Photon Lights

I don't know about their bigger flashlights for tactical use but the keyring sized Photon Lights are great to keep in your pocket and have handy whenever you need a light.

The small ones are about the diameter of a quarter and I can tell you from experience that the orange and yellow photons put out almost as much light as my 2-AA cell mini-mag. Depending on color they get up to 120 hours of continuous use on one battery. I make my living as a techie so I'm predisposed to gadgets, but these really work