The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2018, 06:06 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Taurus PT22 questions

After reading the responses in the "Having trouble shooting LCP" thread, I decided that a small pocket .22 was not a bad idea as a trainer for the also small .25, .32, and .380 pistols. Unlike larger, non-pocket/mouse guns, I can shoot 100 or 200 rounds in a session without having any issues with fatigue or shaking, but with the pocket guns, especially the LCP in .380, it's a struggle to shoot more than 20 rounds.

As previously discussed, when I practice with the LCP, I intend to shoot only a couple mags worth at a time.

So, given that I'm not intending to use it for defense, I feel a used DAO .22 would be fine and the Taurus PT22's appear to be the only small, inexpensive option. However, I still want to know what I'd be getting into and I'd like to know some general questions about the line.

1. Does anyone know when Taurus came out with the PT22? What years am I looking at for the non polymer framed guns?

2. In general, how are the older metal framed PT22's? Are they better than the polymer framed ones?

3. Do the metal frame and polymer framed PT22's share magazines?
Old February 22, 2018, 06:11 PM   #2
JERRYS.

lots of threads lately about this gun for some reason. .22lr is not what I would prefer if there was a center fire option. if I had to use rim fire I would opt for a revolver. the Taurus pt22 is rather larger than the original guns, the grips are really oversized for a gun meant for pocket carry.
Old February 22, 2018, 06:16 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
lots of threads lately about this gun for some reason. .22lr is not what I would prefer if there was a center fire option. if I had to use rim fire I would opt for a revolver. the Taurus pt22 is rather larger than the original guns, the grips are really oversized for a gun meant for pocket carry.
It's not for defense, it's for training and plinking only.
Old February 23, 2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I bought my PT22 in 1996, IIRC, and they were out for some years before that.

I really like mine. I've fired it extensively with Winchester Wildcat ammo. With it, it has been 100% reliable - 0 failures to feed, fire, or eject.

I did have some issues with CCI ammo, which apparently has a harder case material, and about 20% of the time it took two trigger pulls to fire the round.

I've carried mine on and off for years, and feel perfectly fine about it being a .22 mouse gun. I know how well I can shoot it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 23, 2018, 08:17 AM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
After reading the responses in the "Having trouble shooting LCP" thread, I decided that a small pocket .22 was not a bad idea as a trainer for the also small .25, .32, and .380 pistols. Unlike larger, non-pocket/mouse guns, I can shoot 100 or 200 rounds in a session without having any issues with fatigue or shaking, but with the pocket guns, especially the LCP in .380, it's a struggle to shoot more than 20 rounds.

As previously discussed, when I practice with the LCP, I intend to shoot only a couple mags worth at a time.

So, given that I'm not intending to use it for defense, I feel a used DAO .22 would be fine and the Taurus PT22's appear to be the only small, inexpensive option. However, I still want to know what I'd be getting into and I'd like to know some general questions about the line.

1. Does anyone know when Taurus came out with the PT22? What years am I looking at for the non polymer framed guns?
Early 90s sometime? I remember seeing a short review on them in Am. Rifleman. Bought one (for my brother then overseas) not long after that.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; February 24, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old February 23, 2018, 08:52 AM   #6
railroader

I had one about 10 years ago. I bought it off of a friend of mine. When he owned it the slide cracked but taurus fixed it. When I had it the gun was really reliable but it shot at least 2" high at 7 yards. There is no adjustment on the sights so that was just the way it is. In it's defense I also had a beretta 21a in 22lr and it shot 2" left at 7 yards. I guess that's just the way it is with this little guns.
Old February 23, 2018, 05:43 PM   #7
kymasabe

I bought mine years ago, pocket carried in a small holster, was OK.
Mine was ammo picky. Standard velocity ammo would not cycle the slide. CCI MiniMags worked most of the time but mine absolutely loved hyper velocity CCI Velocitor ammo. I also replaced my grips with one made by Pearce, very nice replacement grip.
http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/Taurus/PG-T22
Old February 23, 2018, 06:33 PM   #8
tallball

Taurus bought or somehow inherited a Beretta factory in Brazil. That's why their older 9mm's are so much like the Berettas. The PT22 was also originally a Beretta design. Like the PT92, over time they have made changes to the design so it's not just like the original Beretta anymore.
Old February 26, 2018, 02:41 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Anybody know if Taurus still makes these flat wood grips for the PT22/PT25? These are the grips I want on the PT22 because they're flat like the LCP's grip frame is and should mimic the LCP well.

Old February 26, 2018, 09:15 PM   #10
Prof Young

I have this exact gun . . .

I have the exact gun pictured above. Bought it used at a gun auction for $150. Had to replace a plastic piece in front of the slide that is literally called "plastic insert" on the blown up parts chart. Also had lots of trouble with jamming and the the gun starting to "field strip" itself . . . really. Sent it to Taurus and three weeks later it came back running just fine and with one new magazine. It works best with high velocity loads and mini mags. It's fun to shoot, but has been known to do an unintended double tap. That seems to happen when it needs a cleaning. I do carry it some times when I am on a bike ride. If you can find one at a decent price I think you'll enjoy it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old February 26, 2018, 09:43 PM   #11
kymasabe

There are grips for this thing all over eBay.

Tags
.22 , pocket gun , pt22 , taurus