The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 18, 2019, 01:41 PM   #1
rodfac

Smith M19 Holster

Christmas is just around the corner and I've been busy with some leather work for friends and family:

4 OWB holsters for an equal number of Smith Shields
Another OWB for a Glock 19, and one for a Smith M28
Plus a cpl of knife sheaths

This last one, pictured, is for my own Smith M19 & M66. Gotta say, my fingers are sore after all this...all are double needle & awl stitched...(only stuck myself once, but it was to the bone) and I used 9 oz. tooling leather for the outer shell, with vegetable tanned pig skin for the linings.

This is my favorite configuration...OWB, with a slight forward tilt to accomodate the old FBI - 4 o'clock carry. After 50+ years of carrying there, I doubt my hand could go anywhere else.

I line them to minimize wear on gun finishes, locate the belt loop for a 1-1/2" gun belt, and burnish all edges with an antler tip. Lastly, I've got a stamp set to mark the inner face with gun type, our name and the date it was made. There's a lot of satisfaction building one...and it's a pass down to my sons, DIL's and friends that means something to them.

Just an old man's meanderings here...and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and an "accurate" new year. Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 18, 2019, 10:20 PM   #2
KyJim

Nice holster for a couple of nice revolvers. When I think of my favorite gifts, they are almost always something that somebody has made for me. I'm sure your friends and family members will feel the same.
Old December 20, 2019, 09:20 AM   #3
upstate81

Nice work! Some of my favorite shootin irons as well.
Old December 20, 2019, 08:39 PM   #4
rodfac

Thx guys for the kind remarks...that pigskin lining does a cpl things: it makes for a smoother presentation from the leather in that the gun slides easier, and it also precludes the front sight from picking up a bunch of "leather dust", nor does it wear like an unlined holster. It's also vegetable tanned, which makes it less likely to rust your blued steel beauty. The down side is that it more than doubles the amount of hand stitching required. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 20, 2019, 08:57 PM   #5
smee78

Wow, I like those. I bet my M19 6inch nickel would look great in one of those. Great work you did, congrats on the fine gifts you made, I'm sure they will love them.
Old January 2, 2020, 06:36 AM   #6
J.G. Terry

You friends are going to get something special for Christmas. Your holsters are professional quality. Excellent work.
Old January 2, 2020, 07:05 AM   #7
USSR

You are a craftsman, Rod. Good work.

Don
Old January 2, 2020, 10:30 AM   #8
HighValleyRanch

As someone who has done a bunch of leatherwork, I can appreciate your work!
Very professional looking.
What dye do you use?
Old January 2, 2020, 07:30 PM   #9
rodfac

I like Tandy supplied Eco Flow (water based) Gel Antique in black, and the same brand of edge dressing to follow burnishing. It takes 3-5 applications to get a good uniform look but it's deep and takes a beating when done. Thanks for the kind remarks, one and all. The holsters went over big with the guys this Xmas...we all carry and it's fun to get what they want, exactly.

Here's a plug for Tandy Leather....when our #2 son was flying in Afghanistan, our local Tandy sent him all the leather and supplies he could use at their cost. He made up a lot of the specialty harness rigs for the special forces guys working out of Bagram, 6-8 years ago. Good people there at Tandy and very helpful with tips and tricks.

Best wishes for a New Year, Rod