The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2000, 03:53 PM   #1
Eric of IN

My search for a used RCBS press turned up negative. Evidently the people that have them don't get rid of them. At a local gun store, they have an RCBS "Special-5" kit and a Redding kit. The Redding kit includes a few things that the RCBS kit doesn't. (Powder trickler, reamer) They are both the same price. ($220) Is the RCBS worth the extra $30 or so to buy what it lacks, and are the prices decent or should I keep looking. This store is the only one in local area that carries reloading equipment, so I really have nothing to compare it's prices to.
Thanks,
Eric

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.
Old June 24, 2000, 06:20 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

Both good.

Check on the net; Midway, Natchez, Pantera, Graf & Sons......

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old June 24, 2000, 06:31 PM   #3
WINTERVILLE WILL

Check eBay or Auction Arms...usually always something there.
Old June 24, 2000, 09:31 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I had a Redding powder scale for years and it was a good one until a full box of Sierra 190 grain match Kings got dropped on it . End of scale. Most everything I have is green (RCBS) and some orange (Lyman) Most of the Lyman stuff is bullet casting or case tumblers. I will swear by all of it. If it was me I would go RCBS but I think you will be OK either way. One point for RCBS is the lifetime warranty.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old June 25, 2000, 06:23 AM   #5
slickpuppy

My personal preference for gear would be Redding. The only thing RCBS I use is their decapping die in a crappy Lee single stage press for decapping large amounts of brass. My Dillon uses all Redding dies though. RCBS makes good stuff. You can't go wrong with either.
Old June 27, 2000, 05:34 PM   #6
alan

Redding dies have a good reputation. Personally, I have used RCBS for many years, without problems of any kind.
Old June 27, 2000, 09:27 PM   #7
swifter...

I have a Redding Ultramag and a RCBS Rockchucker on my bench. (And a dillon 550, and ... ) The Redding is perhaps a bit stronger/sturdier, the RCBS has easier access. You'll not go wrong with either.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...