The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 15, 2018, 02:17 PM   #1
lockedcj7

First time Kimber experience

I've owned, and own, several 1911s but never a Kimber. My experiences have been very positive with the platform, not having had many malfunctions at all. At least none that weren't easily explained by poor quality ammo, user error, etc. My 1911s have been at least as reliable as any other modern handgun I've owned.

I became enamored with the Kimber Pro Carry II recently and just had to have one. Lo-and-behold, the LGS took in a used one just a few days later and I got it for just under $700 OTD.

First impressions: not good. I couldn't get the first round in the magazine because the follower would cant forward and hang up on the front of the magazine. I finally figured out how to load it and put in 4 rounds of Hornady 185 gr. FTX. Shooting at 15 yds. offhand, my first group was 7-8 inches and I had a failure to feed. The slide locked back with a live round just sitting on top of the magazine. The second magazine was 7 rounds of Aluminum cased Federal 230 gr. ball. This time, the slide failed to lock back on the empty magazine and the group was no better. When I tried to eject the magazine, it wouldn't budge. As it turns out, the follower had moved forward and hung up just below the feed ramp. I did succeed in moving it back into position with a pencil and freeing the magazine. This was no easy task since I had to hold the slide open with my other hand.

Second try: Loaded up a G.I. magazine from CMP, chambered a round, and then topped it off. Again with the Federal aluminum. This time I shot a 3 inch group at 10 yds, reloaded and put 8 more in the group.

I realize that 27 rounds isn't enough to form much of an opinion but... I am very happy so far. The accuracy is good. I'm sure I can work the group size smaller as I get used to the trigger and the recoil on the 4" aluminum-framed gun. It ran flawlessly with decent mags so I'm expecting good things with the Wilson magazines I ordered. I've read often about Kimbers needing a break-in period and the OEM magazines being junk. Mine certainly is. Are the magazines not hurting brand reputation? Do they just not care?
Old December 15, 2018, 02:29 PM   #2
mk70ss

I have had a Kimber Eclipse Target Elite and a K6S revolver. Both were top notch quality and function. The K6S serves as my wife’s daily carry gun. Good luck with yours.
Old December 15, 2018, 02:46 PM   #3
45Gunner

I have 9 Kimbers, one chambered in 9mm, and one chambered in .40s&W. The rest are chambered in .45ACP. Each gun has been excellent and very accurate out of the box. All but the .40 were purchased brand new. Never had a problem with any gun from Kimber. My first pro carry had well over 200,000 rounds thru it. I sent it back to Kimber to add night sights and some reconditioning.
NRA Life Member
Old December 15, 2018, 03:34 PM   #4
dontcatchmany

I just purchased a K6S. Put about 50 more rounds through it today.

So far with a total of approx. 150 rounds it has been a fine gun. Still trying to figure out what ammo I can use in it. Somehow settling on 38 Spcl and lower grain/power 357 mag....it is a beast with more powerful +p 357 Mag.
Old December 15, 2018, 04:07 PM   #5
Hammerhead

I have a 9 mm target 2 on order and I'm getting nervous!
Old December 15, 2018, 04:15 PM   #6
JMag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
I just purchased a K6S. Put about 50 more rounds through it today.

So far with a total of approx. 150 rounds it has been a fine gun. Still trying to figure out what ammo I can use in it. Somehow settling on 38 Spcl and lower grain/power 357 mag....it is a beast with more powerful +p 357 Mag.

Planning on acquiring the DA/SA K6S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 15, 2018, 04:26 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
it is a beast with more powerful +p 357 Mag.
Hard to handle beast or beast as in powerful?
Old December 15, 2018, 08:32 PM   #8
dontcatchmany

Hurts my old arthritic hands beast .... lol!

I put a rubber Hogue Beavertail grip sleeve intended for the Shield 9/40 or a couple of Rugers on it today and much, much better.

Shot some Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P through it (38 and 357) and it was not bad at all. The 357 was somewhat ouchy, but tolerable with the grip...… better than before the grip. And the overall 10 yard accuracy improved drastically than before the grip sleeve add on.

I have a bunch of different ammo brands in both calibers on order and I am going to find a suitable round for me. Speer Short barrels in 357 and 38 special +P and non +P and Kimber Micro as well as 38 special wadcutters.
Old December 15, 2018, 09:40 PM   #9
cw308

My EDC is a Colt New Agent in 45 ACP 1911 3" barrel , it has trench sights and came with CT Laser grips , I love shooting it . A friend of mine loved the gun and bought a Kimber 3" 1911 with trench sights and CT Laser grips . The gun is the same dimensions but all the edges are rounded you can see Kimber did some custom work making it a sweet looking pistol . We both love our pistols but I must admit his looks prettier . They make nice firearms , may take some breaking time the frame to slide fit is pretty tight . He had a few hiccups from not cleaning after shooting , he's new to shooting . I think it set him back $ 1600. from the custom shop . I have him shooting 230 FMJ's only to start until it's 100% reliable
Old December 16, 2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Reloadron

A friend needed money which led to the below:

I never planned to keep the little gun but after firing several flavors of ammunition the gun performed extremely well proving itself reliable. The accuracy also surprised me and the end result is I still have the little gun and have developed a fondness for it.

Ron
Old December 16, 2018, 08:58 PM   #11
Road_Clam

I have the Kimber Target II in 10mm . Had some initial "new" feeding issues as well. I took some 600 emery cloth and some oil and did just a small anount of frame rail and feed ramp polishing and I also like to polish the underside of the mag feed lips. This seemed to make a improvement. I also realized that my 10mm is a bit fussy as far as TC type bullitt profiles. My Kimber doesn't like Sellior & Bellot 180gr TC's. It did cycle Sig 180 RN ammo perfect. My Kimber has about 500 rounds and things are breaking in nicely. Keep your kimber clean and lubed and I think it will run well. My Target II and my handloaded Berry's 180 rnfp's has some VERY impressive groupings .I think it has a lot to due with my Target II's 6" bbl (longer sight radius). About 1210 fps seems to be my barrel's sweet spot with the 180's.
Old December 17, 2018, 11:09 AM   #12
cw308

Reloadron
I'm sure it was a good deal but they don't look like reloads ? That's a no no .
Old December 17, 2018, 12:50 PM   #13
Reloadron

The picture was taken with some 230 grain FMJ and I have no idea what ammunition I used in the photo. The pictured magazine is also something which came with the gun like the holster and magazine pouch.

Ron
Old December 18, 2018, 06:14 PM   #14
rodfac

Quote:
Kimbers needing a break-in period and the OEM magazines being junk. Mine certainly is.
Hope it works out for you...dealing with Kimber has been frustrating for the 4 1911 owners that have been out to our farm range eager to try out their new guns. Kimber's mantra that it takes 200-300 rounds to 'break-in' a self defense gun, and before they would deal with obvious problems is excessive in my book. Again, hope it works out for you. Best Regards Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 18, 2018, 07:56 PM   #15
dontcatchmany

rodfac,

Welcome Home Brother!.....Vietnam 68/69....and I agree with General Sherman.... "War is Hell"!
Old December 18, 2018, 11:14 PM   #16
Charlie98

I wanted a Pro Carry II as well... my Pro Eclipse II, with it's stainless frame, is just too heavy and pulls my drawers down. I went through about 3 gun shows looking for one... and couldn't. A local forum member had an early 2000 NRA commemorative that was almost NIB... and I snarfed it up quick! Fantastic pistol!

The only thing I don't care for is the sharp recoil impulse with 230grn factory (or my reloads) so I've gone to 200grn bullets for the alloy pistol alone.

I did have issues with standard magazines when I bought my Eclipse, the last one or two rounds would nose-dive in the magazine, so I bought a dozen Chip McCormick PowerMags... haven't had a problem since.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 19, 2018, 06:25 PM   #17
rodfac

dontcatchmany, and a 'welcome home to you as well sir!'...and a Merry Christmas to you and yours. Rod Btw: True words from the old General.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 19, 2018, 07:04 PM   #18
turkeestalker

I own two Kimber pistols that I bought used, with four factory magazines between them I've personally never had an issue with their magazines but maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old December 20, 2018, 09:40 PM   #19
Martowski

My 1996 Kimber Classic Custom Target shoots neck and neck with my Les Baer PII. Only thing I did to the Kimber was put in a short solid trigger and have EGW make a bushing to my custom dimensions to tighten up the barrel to slide lock up.
Old December 21, 2018, 06:17 PM   #20
The Happy kaboomer

I have 2. A Custom Classic and a commander size CDP II..........Both have been flawless.
Old December 21, 2018, 11:32 PM   #21
jglsprings

Kinda sounds like someone put the magazines back together wrong. I’d double check.

Both of my kimbers run great. Always have

Commas save lives...
Old December 27, 2018, 08:54 AM   #22
Barr

I have owned several Kimber’s and have only had a problem with one. Kimber customer service took care of the issue without question and have nothing but positive things to say about the company.
Old December 27, 2018, 12:04 PM   #23
Hammerhead

Picked up my Kimber Stainless Target II 9mm.
Pretty impressive for the money I must say.
Very nicely fitted. Everything works like its supposed to, great trigger, reliable with factory ammo and handloads that have enough power. Had a few bobbles with some work up loads.

The soft recoil of the 9mm in a heavy gun combined with the awesome 1911 trigger makes for a great target gun. 2nd time out with the Kimber and I shot my best groups at 50 yards since 2004. It shoots like a laser with XTPs and HAPs.

It may seem like a small thing, but I really like Kimber's fiber optic front sight. Very large and bright dot compared to most. Very easy on my 58 year old eyes.
Old December 28, 2018, 07:49 AM   #24
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead
I really like Kimber's fiber optic front sight. Very large and bright dot compared to most. Very easy on my 58 year old eyes.
+1, I added a Dawson FO red front to my Springfield 9mm RO 1911 and a very positive enhancement to clear and crisp target acquisition. I'm 52, and extremely nearsighted so i'm all about enhancing sights and optics any way I can to help in my situation.