The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 6, 2018, 11:00 AM   #1
ejfalvo

CZ RAMI Quality?

I have a chance to buy a CZ RAMI BNIB, for a great price. I usually carry/shoot Sigs. Curious about CZ quality. Thoughts are appreciated.
Old August 6, 2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Fishbed77

I don't own a CZ RAMI personally, but I own a few other CZs (CZ75s, CZ82s, P07).

I would say quality in terms of accuracy, durability, and reliability will be similar to older West German-made SIGs (with the exception of fit & finish, which favors the older SIGs), and better than newer US-made SIGs.
Old August 6, 2018, 02:46 PM   #3
mk70ss

My Rami was superb quality and a great shooter. It was my EDC until I switched back to a wheelgun, my SP101 .357.
Old August 6, 2018, 02:55 PM   #4
sigarms228

My only CZ is an SP01. I really love my classic P series hammer fired SIGs and when I went looking for a double stack hammer fired sub compact I ended up with an HK P30SK and could not be happier with it. Might be worth looking at too.

Last edited by sigarms228; August 6, 2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 6, 2018, 06:06 PM   #5
PushPuller

If it is for a good price I would strongly consider it. Iv never fired or owned one but know several people that have had them and they generally have amazing reviews! I do own two CZ pistols, and have fired maybe a half dozen and their quality is in my opinion far better than most larger manufactures. Compared to my SIG P238 my CZs are much higher quality.

the RAMIs also seem to sell very fast and can be hard to find at times, which I consider a great indicator of their reputation.
Old August 6, 2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Model12Win

The RAMI is the most popular carrysman's piece in Czech.

They are peerless IMHO. The world's greatest carry gun, without question.
Old August 6, 2018, 09:58 PM   #7
cslinger

Many CZs look like a drunken dwarf hammered it out with a ball peen hammer and a chisel on the inside.

Most CZs I have seen in the inside have given me pause as to will they be reliable with the lack of finishing detail.

That being said........EVERY DAMN ONE runs and runs and runs. They are accurate and the outside polycoat wears well. They really are good guns. Just don’t get too disheartened the first time you field strip one. It’s part of their “charm”.
Old August 7, 2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
The RAMI is the most popular carrysman's piece in Czech.

They are peerless IMHO. The world's greatest carry gun, without question.
That's some serious hyperbole.

In terms of the statistics about carry firearms in the Czech Republic, I'd like to see some documentation.

Quote:
Many CZs look like a drunken dwarf hammered it out with a ball peen hammer and a chisel on the inside.

Most CZs I have seen in the inside have given me pause as to will they be reliable with the lack of finishing detail.
This has not been my experience at all. I own a surplus CZ75B made in 1993 that has excellent machining, and a relatively new P07 whose machining is flawless - as good as anything by SIG, HK, or Walther.

I do own a few CZ82s that are slightly rougher under the slide, but that is to be expected, since these were military-issued pistols and aesthetics were not a priority (like other military pistols I own, including P.38s and Hi-Powers). Still, nothing as extreme as sharp edges that would draw blood.
Old August 7, 2018, 08:47 PM   #9
hammie

I have an aluminum framed, RAMI 2075 decocker. It's a sample of one, but the fit and finish on mine are very good. If you intend to use it for concealed carry, be aware that it's somewhat fat and wide and may not be as easily concealed as slimmer 9mm's.

One downside is that the short barrel makes the recoil springs work hard. Be prepared to replace the outer recoil spring no later than 1,000 rounds and the inner recoil spring at around 2,000 rounds. That's not a big deal, because midway almost always has the two recoil springs in stock for about 7 dollars apiece. I just keep a spare set of recoil springs in my handgun parts drawer.

I don't like the rubber grips on mine and I wish there were after market grips. A set of hogue extreme grips made of aluminum or G-10 would be nice.
Old August 8, 2018, 01:32 PM   #10
Bart Noir

Google for the RAMI grips and you will find a choice made by a company called Cool Hand. They are G-10 and have a number of color choices. They are a little cheaper than VZ grips. I like them enough to keep coming back and putting them on another CZ.

The RAMI has a fatter grip than polymer pistols with the same length barrel, but it carries a 10-round magazine. I find the grip keeps the recoil quite comfortable with no hurt in the hand as I shoot multiple magazines.

But the short sight radius makes accurate fire more difficult. I much prefer shooting the compact CZ-75 models and the P-01 is a favorite.

Bart Noir
Old August 8, 2018, 01:59 PM   #11
jglsprings

When they first came out with the poly frames there was a problem that CZ fixed right away...

https://www.google.com/search?q=poly...h=719&dpr=1.25

Not sure of they gave up on the poly frames or fixed the issue. If you look at the dates on the articles you will notice that they are all quite old. Never hear complaints about the new ones. Very Glock like in size. Loved the gun.

armoredman should be around soon - he has memory of all things CZ

Commas save lives...
Old August 8, 2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Walt Sherrill

CZ discontinued the Poly-framed RAMI. (The frames would bulge, near the upper part of the grip, and they looked strange, but I never heard of it causing functional issues.) Anybody who wanted to could replace their poly RAMI with a metal-framed RAMI. I think some folks kept their polymer RAMIs.

CZ had similar problems with some of the early P-07s, too, but quickly resolved the problems. CZ still makes the CZ 75 Phantom, which is like a 75B (or SP-01) in polymer. I think they've mastered the use of polymer in guns based on the CZ-75 design (as well as their new polymer guns: P-07, P-09, P10c.

(The RAMI seems to be another 75B variant, but uses the barrel design of the CZ-40 which was also based on the 75B design.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 10, 2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old August 12, 2018, 07:47 AM   #13
insman1132

I have a RAMI .40 cal and I am very fond and confident with it.

Enjoy your RAMI
Old August 12, 2018, 11:42 AM   #14
Hdonly

Love my RAMI. Flawless reliability. I have owned it since new in 2009. I did make some wood grip panels. I just like wood.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poplar10.resized.JPG (106.8 KB, 470 views)
Old August 12, 2018, 04:53 PM   #15
luger fan

Can't go wrong with a CZ. Quality, reliability, accuracy, price. Tough to find that in ANY other company.
Old August 13, 2018, 06:07 PM   #16
kymasabe

I had an alloy Rami years ago, reliable as all heck, but heavy as a brick, I traded it.