The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 14, 2013, 11:27 PM   #1
TheToad263

Bolt Rifle under $2000

As far as which caliber, I would say my first preference would be .308Win, but .30-06 would be acceptable. So right now I am thinking the Sako 85 is probably my best bet... most likely the finnlight model, however I have heard some concerning things about the synthetic stock so an 85 with a wooden stock is also an option.

I have no experience with Sako firearms, however pretty much everything I hear is good... does anyone have any legit. problems with the 85?

Also, how much better is the 85 than the Tikka T3? I know the same people make them so I am curious as to the major differences... other than price lol. Tikkas I have also found have little negative said about them. The T3 is definetly more affordable, which would allow me to splurge a bit more on the glass, but if the Sako is truly better then I would pay the extra.

I am curious where everyone would rank the 85 and T3 along side the Rem. 700, Win. 70, A-bolt ect...
Old April 15, 2013, 06:27 AM   #2
jehu

I have 8 Sako's 5 are Mod. 85's and they are very accurate and well made rifles. I would not get the Finnlite because the very thin barrel heats up quickly and groups open up if multiple shots are needed. I had this happen with a Finnlite in 22-250 which is a hot round anyway. I think the Grey Wolf is the way to go.
Old April 15, 2013, 06:31 AM   #3
mxsailor803

Well to start off with, what's your intended purpose? Hunting, target, competition, etc? Of the rifles you've listed, I'd look for a older Win 70 or older Remington 700. Both have a very popular following (in case you were to sell). For all around shooting, its hard to beat the .308 round. Both rounds are well do the job if you were to be hunting in north america without a problem.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
BumbleBug

Does your $2,000 budget include the scope? There is a world of possibilities in that price range depending on your needs.
Old April 15, 2013, 11:33 PM   #5
jmr40

Sako is a darn good choice. If you are looking for lightweight look at the Kimber too. Street price around $1100, or a bit less. A $300-$400 Leupold is all the scope you'll ever need and will come in well under your $2000 budget. Mine weighs under 6 lbs even with scope and mounts. The Kimber synthetic is the best factroy synthetic available. The Sako synthetic stock is nothing special, but one of the better injection molded stocks. It is very well designed, and McMillan makes a much better replacement if you ever want to go that way.

If I were going Sako I could live with the stock. I've never owned a Sako, but have handled enough to know they are a significant step up over a Tikka, which is not a bad gun. I have owned Tikka. I like my Kimber quite a bit, but won't argue with anyone who says Sako is a better gun. They are just different enough to be good at different things.

Old April 16, 2013, 05:50 AM   #6
PatientWolf

Fantastic shooting with that Kimber. They have a strong following on their 1911 pistols but I think they make better rifles and are often overlooked.
Old April 16, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
the rifleer

What is .11? its impossible to shoot a group smaller than the diameter of the bullet?
Old April 16, 2013, 02:05 PM   #8
hooligan1

That's tip to tip Rifler... And he's done it!
Old April 16, 2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Erno86

The Tikka's are fine rifles, with very smooth running bolts. I love the Kimber's too. I like my standard stainless barreled Model 75 Sako {pronounced Socko}, synthetic stock in 30-06. The Model 85 is a step-up from the 75, because of the better designed magazine retention button --- due to when the president of Sako, lost a Model 75 magazine in a mudpuddle in Africa --- which brought about the redesign of the magazine; for the Model 85.

The synthetic 85 lacks the palm swell of the synthetic 75. I love the wooden stocked Sako's --- but if I were going to take a bolt rifle to such places as Alaska, due to the rainy conditions --- I would go with the synthetic.

Standard size barrels are a chore to carry around in the mountains...but may I suggest getting a standard weight Sako barrel --- because it is less whippy, holds a sight better and has less of a tendency to heat-up quickly.

I prefer the 30-06, over the 308. But if I were just going for whitetails...I might prefer the 7mm-08; due to the advantages of a short bolt throw.

I'm not quite sure...but I believe the Tikka's have a plastic magazine.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; April 16, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsailor803
Well to start off with, what's your intended purpose? Hunting, target, competition, etc? Of the rifles you've listed, I'd look for a older Win 70 or older Remington 700. Both have a very popular following (in case you were to sell). For all around shooting, its hard to beat the .308 round. Both rounds are well do the job if you were to be hunting in north america without a problem.
I find this hard to disagree with. You can buy any of the Remington 700 series or Winchester 70 for way under $2000.00. I'm more than sure either will shot MOA. If that's not to you're liking you can get a custom stock and install a Jewell trigger and still be way below $2000.00. I'm absolutely sure with either 308 or 30-06 you could get groups like this. Or better.

Yes I pulled # 2 but that's only a 1/2" diamond. That is with a 70's model 700 BDL 30-06 in a Bell & Carson stock with a Jewell trigger. And I'm no smith. It always shot MOA. But now it's sub MOA by just bolting on a new trigger and stock.

From what I hear the Winchester model 70 will do the same.

Last edited by Jerry45; April 17, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Mausermolt

i dont have any pictures to prove it but my winchester 70 in 300 wsm will do groups like this one ^^^ and its bare bones. its a newer model 70 i bought it in 2005 i think right after they re-introduced them, put a 3x9x40 VX-II on it and never looked back
Old April 17, 2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Jerry45

I don't own a Winchester but I'll vouch for what it can do. I've see it.

BTW I'm probably just an "average" shooter. Just think if someone that know what they were doing was behind the trigger.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:05 PM   #13
Mausermolt

Oh BTW my Winchester and VX-II together was right at 1000$, that gives you lots of room to buy any bells or whistles and lots of ammo.

this is the one i got:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535940
Old April 19, 2013, 02:10 AM   #14
natman

Quote:
What is .11? its impossible to shoot a group smaller than the diameter of the bullet?
Group sizes are measured by taking the physical diameter of the group and subtracting the diameter of the bullet. That way a larger diameter bullet isn't penalized.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:07 AM   #15
sserdlihc

I have a Sako model 75 in 30-06. It is the predecessor to the 85. Very accurate out of the box. I have a grand in the rifle and 300 in the scope and use it primarily for deer hunting. The action on the 75 is ultra slick. None of my other bolt guns come close.