The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 01:18 PM   #1
Jacket67

Travelling Through Illinois

Hey TFL,

I leave tomorrow for grad school, and have to travel a bit through Illinois to get to my new home. I read up on their gun laws pertaining to the transport of firearms of non-residents and just wanted to verify what I read with you all. From their govt website, my understanding is that non-residents do not need a FOID card, and the guns need to be unloaded in cases that are inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle. I have disassembled my shield for good meaure, and my 30-30 I plan to bring is in its own separate case. Ammo for both firearms is in a separate bag entirely which will be in a different vehicle than the guns themselves.

To the best of your knowledge, does it seem that I am in compliance? Even though it's a very small portion of the state I'm travelling through, I want to make sure I'm abiding by their laws.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 31, 2018, 01:32 PM   #2
HistoryJunky

I don't know if its different for non-residents.

Make sure your firearm is unloaded and cased.

Put the ammo in a separate container(maybe?). I have heard conflicting opinions on this so I would just err on the side of caution.

As for being out of reach, I don't think that applies since you have it cased. I don't even think thats part of the law.

Now I need to check. I have been carrying my SKS in a gun sock behind my back seat for almost a year now.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old May 31, 2018, 01:38 PM   #3
UncleEd

You're OK.
Old May 31, 2018, 01:40 PM   #4
HistoryJunky

This brochure from the Illinois DNR should help you out.

Here is the link if you dont want to open from my shared file.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._2oai3GSoJ1F8J

Basically, unloaded, enclosed in a case, and out of reach for out of state people. Couldn't hurt to disassemble too just in case.https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b10418e...armLegally.pdf

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old May 31, 2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Jacket67

They are literally buried in the back of the moving truck. Shield is disassembled in a locked case and the slide has a gun lock through it. Its about halfway in the back. Henry is wedged so deep I'd have to unpack half the truck to get it.
Old May 31, 2018, 03:41 PM   #6
Jacket67

HistoryJunky, the link you posted was the one I read earlier too. So as far as I can tell, I'm well within the law.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

Pretty much a duplicate of the previous "Traveling through Illinois..." thread, so closed as redundant.