The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2018, 08:36 PM   #1
CDR_Glock

Walther PPK/S

I saw an Interarms SS Walther PPK/S at the gun shop the other day

I had to have it. Mainly for the nostalgia of a gun owned by the likes of Elvis and portrayed in the movies, James Bond. It even lead to the demise of Hitler. The

I have read reliability is hit or miss, even between the Interarms and the S&W versions. In many cases, I have noticed that it boils down to maintenance, magazines, and ammunition.

So I ask the following :

1) What Ammunition works for yours?
2) Which magazines work for you? OEM, MEC GAR?
3) What type of lubrication do you use?
4) I read in a review that the trigger was 17 pounds. Felt like it was 11 # to me. Is it really that heavy across the board?

I don’t plan to carry it for CCW, by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 19, 2018, 10:26 PM   #2
stephen426

Congrats on the new purchase. My mom had one but we ended up trading it for a Sig P230. The recoil is pretty snappy for a .380. The gun was pretty accurate for a compact pistol, but the trigger pull was pretty heavy in double action. Good luck with yours!
Old September 20, 2018, 12:12 AM   #3
Ignition Override

CDR Glock:

The beautiful "Made in W. Germany" PPK/S which I recently owned required a new magazine to feed correctly.

It also required a weaker Wolff recoil spring, due to the Weak modern .380 ammo being sometimes unable to push the slide far enough rearward to feed properly.

Both the original DA trigger pull and the blowback recoil (reminded me of the Polish P-64) were not as pleasant as I had expected, but maybe the hammer spring would have been easy to replace with a lighter spring...
Old September 20, 2018, 12:35 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

The Interarms guns made in Ranger Alabama are sort of hit and miss. My PPK has been 100%, but you can never really tell what you're going to get. Because of that I won't recommend them even though I've had very good luck with mine.

Try different ammo until you find some it likes.

The DA trigger pulls can be pretty awful--at least in terms of pull weight, but the single action tends to be pretty nice. The DA pull on my PPK is between 17 and 18lbs with the SA pull about 4lbs, 5oz.

Recoil is probably stiffer than most people expect, but on the nice side, it seems to come straight back without much muzzle lift.

I've only used Walther marked mags in my PPK.

If it works with your carry ammo and you can stand the weight, you could do worse for a carry gun--especially since your DA trigger sounds like it isn't as stiff as some are.
Old September 20, 2018, 01:52 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

James Bond and Hitler used PPKs, not PPK/S.
Old September 20, 2018, 07:22 AM   #6
PSP

Nice find. Looks to be in outstanding condition. I shot WWB with no problems.
Old September 20, 2018, 08:35 AM   #7
mk70ss

I have had several of these. My favorite was the stainless Interarms version. I stuck with the factory magazines and had great luck with no issues. I forget what ammo I fed it, but at the range it was some version of generic ball ammo. Clean and lube it like any other semi auto. Nothing special needs to be done to it.
Old September 20, 2018, 09:51 AM   #8
RetiredMajor

[QUOTE)James Bond and Hitler used PPKs, not PPK/S.[QUOTE)

Not entirely true! James Bond was issued a PPK/S in Skyfall.

I own both a PPK and a PPK/S. Love em!
Major
Old September 20, 2018, 10:23 AM   #9
cw308

Who cares what they used in movies . The PPK/S is a great little auto , It is a great carry pistol with one on the chamber hammer down , SA & DA it would fire any 380 ammo I fed it with out a problem . Mine came with one flat base magazine and one extended . Ballistol is a great cleaner and lube , just spray the slide down SS is easier to clean , mine was blued . Went to the range with my daughter , I was shooting a 45 she was shooting the PPK/S at 25 yards 3" bull after around twenty five rounds l was going down range to change my target that looked like I was shooting a skater gun , her's was untouched , to my surprise all her shots were in the black . I couldn't believe it , l changed her target and left my Swiss cheese looking target . Handed her her target and she said , Dad I love this gun . I couldn't say a word . Well the gun now is hers , l never shot that good with any hand gun. I'm still speechless , she didn't even save the target just showed her husband when we got back . Great hand gun and accurate in the right hands I guess.
Old September 20, 2018, 02:20 PM   #10
223 shooter

I've owned 3 of the Interarms PPK/S 380s , one blue and two stainless. They have all been very reliable.

I picked up my current PPK/S last year after a long 25 years without a Walther. Is has been totally reliable with PMC and Remington factory FMJ ammo. Also with Hornady factory 90 grain XTP and XTP reloads as well. Also loaded up some "heavy" Sierra 115s and they ran with no problems but hit high on the target.

Earlier this year picked up a 1971 German PPK/S in 22lr - super reliable with high velocity ammo.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:14 PM   #11
HisSoldier

I have both PPK and PPKs and feel that the PPKs is a fortunate mistake. The anti gunners thought they were hurting us but getting around their stupid rules created an excellent shoulder holster gun, small, flat and accurate. I also like the full grip frame on the PPKs over the shorter wrap around grips on the PPK.
I shoot 95 grain FMJ and TMJ at medium velocities for range fun, there's no plus I can see in stressing the gun target shooting and the difference one would feel using it with defense JHP would not be noticed.
Maybe some day the new pistols will be released, and I'll have to have one if they don't cheapen them.
I've also only used the mags that came with the PPKs, I haven't shot the PPK.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old September 21, 2018, 03:51 PM   #12
libiglou

I have the FEG smc 380 version of the ppk/s. It shot everything I put through it without a hiccup but man was it rough on my hand. I could barely get through a box of ammo without pain. Its in the process of being sold(so far no takers). A great gun for the price but not for me and I have small hands. The gun has iconic looks
Old September 21, 2018, 05:12 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hydrashock.

Every firearm is different. Spend the money and find out what works best in yours.
Old September 21, 2018, 06:02 PM   #14
Charlie98

They are fun little pistols, my brother has one. When you hold it, you know you are holding a solid hunk of (stainless) steel, that's for sure. I don't know that it's ever had a problem digesting anything I've fed it, including handloads. I'm not a big DA/SA guy, but it's a reasonable pistol, I've not found the DA trigger to be hugely heavy or anything.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old September 22, 2018, 03:58 PM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

Beautiful!! I love German Quality. The closet I have is the replica BB gun. I was stationed in ULM Germany, wish I had taken the time to visit the Plant.
Old September 22, 2018, 04:30 PM   #16
claydoctor

The post- war Walther PPK guns and variations like the PPK/S were actually made in France by Manurhin, then were sent to West Germany, where they were proofed and stamped "Made in West Germany". I have a very nice Manurhin-marked PP in 380. I have in the past had both the American-made PPK/S and the "West German" version. The European guns were superior in both fit and finish and accuracy. My American PPK/S shot a foot high at 50 ft.
Old September 23, 2018, 10:28 PM   #17

My BIL bought a PPK/S brand-new. He didn't shoot it until they came to visit us.

We went to an local indoor range and gave it a try. I hated it! One of the very worst handguns I've ever shot.

My BIL was so disappointed with it, as soon as they returned home, he traded it in on a used Beretta .380.
Old September 24, 2018, 03:13 PM   #18
lechiffre

[PPK Nazi]

PP = full length slide and frame

PPK = short slide and short frame

PPK/S = short slide and long frame

PPKs = plural (more than one PPK)

PPK's = possessive (belonging to a PPK)

[/PPK Nazi]

do the interns get glocks ?
Old September 24, 2018, 04:45 PM   #19
Groundhog34

I had several many years ago. IMO the 32 is more reliable than the 380. FMJ ammo is best. Blued are better than stainless. French made are much better than American, German post war in the middle. The double action trigger pull is very heavy the SA has lots of take up. Some are trustable carry pistols most are not considering today's options: Glock 43, Sig p365, Ruger LCP.
Revelation 13:11
Old September 30, 2018, 06:21 AM   #20
shurshot

I love my old Interarms PPK/ S .380. Very accurate weapon.
Old October 10, 2018, 08:59 PM   #21
Jackson Hammersmith

I run Walther mags and have used Fiochi, Win white box, PMC, LAX, Blazer brass, and Federal HST’s with zero malfunctions. And yes, you’ll need a winch or a come-a-long to pull the trigger in double action.
Old October 18, 2018, 02:15 PM   #22
jaughtman

I have one....Interarms stainless, made by Ranger in Alabama. GREAT little pistol. It is one of only two pistols I own that has never jammed (the other being an HK P7) and is my most accurate small/pocket pistol (I think the fixed barrel contributes to that). That being said, the double-action trigger is one of the heaviest you will ever pull - about the only thing bad I can say about it. Mine is pure stock and I shoot most commonly-available 380 out of it. IT has had hundreds upon hundreds of rounds and not a hiccup. BTW, Hitler carried both a PPK in .25, and a PP in .32, so it is debatable which one actually led to his demise. But the most common thought is the PP in .32....

J
Old October 20, 2018, 08:30 PM   #23
smee78

Nice addition, I also have one of the stainless Interarm guns but haven't shot it yet. Put a nice set of Turkish walnut grips on it due to the factory ones being cracked.
Old October 21, 2018, 03:56 PM   #24
Dfariswheel

In order........

1. Ammunition.
Since all guns are individuals, what works great in my gun may choke your gun.
So, the best answer is to select a brand/type of ammo and test fire it.
If it fails, try another until you find one that works.
This is especially critical in a defense gun.

2. Magazines.
The factory mags tend to work best.
Keep the magazines clean.

3. Lubrication.
The Walther's seem to "like" slightly heavier amounts of liquid lubricants, and tend to love a good grease.
Use grease on the outside of the barrel, the outside of the recoil spring, the slide and frame rails, the sear where it contacts the hammer in double and single action, and the end of the draw bar where it contacts the sear on the right side of the frame.

4. DA trigger pull.
The DA trigger on the Walther's is heavy and there's not much that can be done about it.
No one has ever managed to put that many features in that small a pistol and the trade off is the heavy DA trigger pull.
The problem is that Walther squeezed a lot into a then-tiny frame, and the DA pull is a matter of leverage.
You could install a lighter mainspring, BUT that very often causes miss-fires and other stoppages.

What to do is simply use the gun and get used to the trigger. After you get used to it and strengthen your trigger finger, you actually stop noticing the heavy pull if you use it enough.
Some fun can be had by handing your Walther to someone unfamiliar with them and having him shoot it.
Often you can watch as they pull and pull, then ask if the safety is on.

The Walther PP series of pistols are sort of the 1911 of small autos.
It's the .32/.380 that all other .32/.380's were judged by and very few were ever able to rise to the Walther level.
Old October 25, 2018, 11:37 AM   #25
JERRYS.

I owned a ppk in 380 in the 90s. was only 100% reliable with FMJ. I had the chance to get another about a year ago but opted for the Sig P232. neither of which are my preferred caliber in this style gun.