The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2018, 08:06 PM   #1
The Old Salt

.410 Judge Loads

I know this site is full of serious loaders and that Taurus Judge style pistols draw the ire of more serious shooters, but I will post up my thoughts and solicited your reactions. After some reading up on the subject of loading .410's for The Taurus Judge I am thinking of trying the following load.

.410 Brass Case Load:
444 Marlin Brass (fits the Judge chambers well), w WLR Primers, Ballistic Products Stretch .410 Full-Length Wad, 3 ea .380" Super Buck #0000 (tot Wt. aprox 252 gr.) with overshot wad crimped & glued, over 8.0 gr Unique.
Anyone try this one or something similar?

FYI
Alliant Powder web site shows 9.5gr Unique as the max load for 250 gr. LSWC
Old September 3, 2018, 06:54 AM   #2
LE-28

Simular, maybe, but in a .357 mag, not a .410 pistol.

When I was a kid I machined out a die the same internal size as a Speer blue plastic shot capsule and put OO buck shot pellets in it and hammered them down in to cylinders that would slide inside of the shot capsules. I could get three in there.

I shot these out of my .357 mag model 28 6" and got a three shot spread of about 15" at 15yds. The recoil was shaking the caps off the end of the shot capsules so I scrapped the experiment.

I could have glued them on but I couldn't see any practical value to the loads, I was just bored and was looking for something to play with.

If I would have had a smooth bore pistol I would have kept going with it but that was long before the Judge came out.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:59 AM   #3
FITASC

Why not just use .410 plastic hulls? A lot easier to work with.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 4, 2018, 10:32 AM   #4
griz

I haven't tried it, but I thought standard plastic wads wouldn't work well in brass cases.