The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1
1chig

oh yea

I got my lee 358-158RF mold the other day, gonna cast me some boolits for my .38, so i went down stairs ,cleand the mold and melted my lead, and pourd me some boolits, well that didnt go so well. They looked like crap and the #s were all over the place, i thought to myself that maybe this wasnt for me. Then a friend of mine sent me some beautiful boolits and it struck a fire in me. Today i took my time and poured just 100 and they turned out very good, i like it a lot !! this leads me to my question They are dropping at 164gn.+or-1 , Im going to load them for target shooting. The new lyman cast boolit hand book list 158gn. lyman cast using bullseye starting load 3.0 and max 3.4 . should i use this load for my boolits or go on up to ther 160gn listing which lists bullseye at 3.2gn starting and 3.6max. Im using bullseye because my local reloading /gun shop only carries it or unique. As you can tell iv never loaded cast boolits so all help is appreciated. Thank you and Thank you again friend!!
Old January 31, 2011, 02:07 AM   #2
458winshooter

Lee 158 RF

I bought one last year and I can say I had a bit of a shock to.I just collected every kind of lead and did not really watch how I was melting them together I just sepparated the zinc weights,filled the pot full and turned up the heat.Well after melting down more than 60 muffin pan ingots I decided to cast some.I had weights all over the board from 162 grs to some up in the 170 range.When I posted this on this forum guys told me that the mixes were the reason.So I ordered a lead hardness tester and sure enough there was a dramatic difference.Now don't be too supprised if the mold drops a little heavy from what I have read on here and other forums 162 gr is about normal for that mold.As far as loading I use Unique so my advice for loading would be error to the side of caution.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:16 AM   #3
GP100man

Lee molds

The last Lee mold I purchased I boiled it cleaned with `bout all the stuff in the house & it still threw wrinkled bullets .

After the 3rd warmup cycle it was throwing good bullets !

There cooling lube while boring soaks into the pours of the aluminum & heating it is the only way to get it out !!

Lee molds use Lyman #2 alloy as a standard for casting weights but I generally go for 10-14 bhn , the 10bhn bullets have less alloy & more lead thus will weigh on the heavy side , but as long as the dia. is correct I`m happy !!!

BE & Unique is a good powder & alot of people swear by it ,but I use CLAYS & IMR700x for my target/plinkin loads , it burns cleaner & generally more avaiable in my area .

Your charges are generally accepted target/plinkin loads .

BE SAFE , Have FUN !!!!