The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 17, 2018, 02:40 PM   #26
turkeestalker

Quote:
Found this little guy on gun broker.
Semi automatic pistol... too funny!
Based on the serial number it's a 1994 production, should be a decent one.
Old August 17, 2018, 02:43 PM   #27
Cosmodragoon

I like .44 special. The lower pressure makes it relatively comfortable to shoot. The big bore and heavier weight make it relatively effective. Even without the historical value, it's a nice cartridge. In places with cold weather and magazine restrictions, I'd consider it for EDC.
Old August 17, 2018, 07:56 PM   #28
rclark

What is EDC? First time I've seen that acronym. 'Extremely Dedicated Carry' maybe?
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. Ok.... the .44Spec is growing on me ... but the .45 Colt is still king.
Old August 17, 2018, 08:09 PM   #29
Sevens

EDC means "every day carry", basically means your primary carry gun.

Also... EDC is an abbreviation. An acronym is an abbreviation that you can also pronounce as if it were a word such as SCUBA or SNAFU.

I suppose if we called our primary carry gun an EDDICK, then we could call "EDC" an acronym.
Old August 17, 2018, 11:10 PM   #30
Chainsaw.

Oh man. That Taurus is sweeeeeet. Actually came to the site to look for info on them. I've been feinding after a shortish barreled 44 special but cant come to love the bull dogs. That Taurus would do very nicely. If it built anywhere near as good as my rossi model 33 its a keeper for sure.
Old August 18, 2018, 06:27 AM   #31
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow_c View Post

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/782907909

I made a pretty low offer that I doubt will be accepted. It looks like it would be a good shooter, but has certainly seen some use.
The last few I saw on GunBroker went in the $450-ish range. Add shipping, and transfer, and one could easily be $500+ into one of these. I would think that if you could get that revolver for anything under $450, it would be a reasonable price.

That may seem excessive, for a Taurus, but one needs to remember that these were built for only a few years, and built in the stretch of time that many consider to be the high point in Taurus quality - from the early 80's to about the mid to late 90's.

I own more than a few Taurus-made (Taurii ?)revolvers from that time period, and without exception they are robust, well made revolvers. What do you suppose a S&W 44 Spl in 3" would run ? $800+, I am certain.

I just recently purchased a 1986 Taurus Model 66, a blued 6" half-lug .357 that is just beautiful. I would put it up against any of its' S&W contemporaries for a quality comparison.
Old August 18, 2018, 09:22 AM   #32
Chainsaw.

A s&w 696 3" in 44s will cost you at least $800 these days, closer to a grand for a cherry peice. So yeah, real nice Taurus!
Old August 18, 2018, 11:29 AM   #33
lee n. field

Back in the late '90s I watched as a guy and a gun store clerk couldn't reach agreement, on the Taurus .44 Special snub the guy wanted the gun store to buy off him. I still kick myself for not catching him in the parking lot and trying to dicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow_c View Post

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/782907909

I made a pretty low offer that I doubt will be accepted. It looks like it would be a good shooter, but has certainly seen some use.
I'd say offer $350, and see where it goes.

Except

Quote:
Inspection/ Return Policy
AS IS - No refund or exchange
This bothers me.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 18, 2018, 01:09 PM   #34
GeauxTide

Love my 44 Bisley.
Old August 18, 2018, 05:53 PM   #35
tallball

I would really like to have a Taurus 431 or 441. I will as soon as I run across one at a good price.

I have owned half a dozen or so late 80's and early 90's Taurii, and they have all been good. My 1990 or so Model 689 is my preferred HD handgun.

The Rossi 720's are also fun shooters from the same era in the same caliber.

44 special is one of my favorite calibers. In my big 44 magnum revolvers it is fun and not painful. In my CA Bulldog it is a lot of "oomph" in a small package.
Old August 18, 2018, 09:59 PM   #36
Buckeye!

I really like my Charter Bulldog , light & small
Old August 19, 2018, 07:47 AM   #37
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
Love my 44 Bisley.
I've got one of those too, but it's hardly a concealed carry piece. I use it around the property, in a no-name cross-draw holster.
[IMG][/IMG]