The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 25, 2021, 05:33 PM   #76
stagpanther

Of course I will post results--except that the barrel is presently MIA and the whole project is just vaporware at this point.
Old October 25, 2021, 07:06 PM   #77
BornFighting88

Stag,

Do tell me about these 25 cal pills you posted a picture of. Have you had good luck with solid copper stuff in the past? How much have you used them?? Are they ok for waffling varmints, or will the governing bobbleheads lose their collective minds over it??

Do they behave considerably differently than jacketed lead with a poly or soft metal tip??

Would you suggest I look at this Patriot Valley Arms for my future loading components, too?
Old October 25, 2021, 09:29 PM   #78
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag,

Do tell me about these 25 cal pills you posted a picture of. Have you had good luck with solid copper stuff in the past? How much have you used them?? Are they ok for waffling varmints, or will the governing bobbleheads lose their collective minds over it??

Do they behave considerably differently than jacketed lead with a poly or soft metal tip??

Would you suggest I look at this Patriot Valley Arms for my future loading components, too?
Bullets like this are a single-purpose use--match accuracy. Solids typically need some kind of built-in mechanism for making them open up, split etc to be useful for hunting. PVA does make a hunting version of their bullets. When it comes to hunting--I'm not much of a hunter so I can't really make sound recommendations based on my personal experience results. There are plenty of real hunters on this forum and I would direct this question to them. Cutting Edge is another manufacturer that is known for making hunting versions of their well-regarded solids.
Old October 25, 2021, 10:22 PM   #79
stagpanther

Just received an update from the USPS on my barrel. After being inducted and shipped last Friday from their center in Utah--it was successfully shipped to the same center and received at the same center on Sunday. On Sunday it left that center and was in transit to the next destination--the same center, where it arrived this evening. Is this a great country, or what?

Last edited by stagpanther; October 26, 2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old October 26, 2021, 02:32 AM   #80
std7mag

Bornfighting88,

No, monos don't really perform like lead core bullets.
Barnes bullets are designed with 4 petals that peel back, expanding the frontal area, but otherwise normally stay intact.

Hammer and Cutting Edge have petals that open, then shear off after 1-3 inches. The petals continue forward while radiating outwards. While the jagged edged base continues forwards. They create essentially 5+ wound channels.

I'm not sure how the PVA & Peregrine bullets are designed to operate.

Wish we could get some Peregrines here in the US to play with!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 26, 2021, 05:52 AM   #81
stagpanther

Mono's need a rather acute awareness of their performance characteristics relative to the velocity/range you're shooting them at if you use them for hunting. Woodleigh is another manufacturer that has a very good reputation for hunting monos (not entirely copper).
Old October 26, 2021, 06:38 AM   #82
stagpanther

Just got another update from USPS--my barrel has for the fourth time circled back and returned to Utah and delivery estimate has been nixed until this weekend--which I know means next week (USPS doesn't do deliveries on weekends here). I know from past experience the more the package is tossed around in trucks, conveyor belts and piles of waylaid shipments--the higher the probability of damage or loss. I'll call Preferred today. They used Stamps.com--that probably explains it.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 26, 2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old October 26, 2021, 12:56 PM   #83
stagpanther

BTW--I just received notice from Mile High Shooting that they just got in some Berger 133 gr hunting hybrids--I bought a couple boxes--just in case. : )
Old October 26, 2021, 06:59 PM   #84
std7mag

If you run accross any 115gr VLDs, let me know!
Please...

Old October 26, 2021, 07:32 PM   #85
stagpanther

Quote:
If you run accross any 115gr VLDs, let me know!
Please...
You limited by 1:9 twist or slower?
Old October 27, 2021, 02:38 AM   #86
std7mag

All 4 of my quarter bores are 1:10 twist.

Old October 27, 2021, 06:45 AM   #87
stagpanther

Quote:
All 4 of my quarter bores are 1:10 twist.
You're going to hit the wall with most of the "modern" high BC .25 bullets (sorta like trying to get high performance 223 bullets to work with "traditional" 22-250 barrels). Time to order a new barrel!!
Old October 27, 2021, 10:54 AM   #88
std7mag

I just got my Shilen barrel for my bench rest build!

Most of my shooting is 400 yards or less.
With the 110gr ELDX & Tipped GameKing. Along with the 115gr Berger VLD, i'm good.

Heard of one guy hitting out to 1,250 yards with the 110gr Sierra.

Old October 27, 2021, 11:31 AM   #89
stagpanther

If you're already getting good results with 115 gr--seems like the 117 Seneca wouldn't be much of problem--except maybe if your chamber doesn't accommodate it without sinking the ogive into the case neck.

Finally got a piece of good news from the USPS today, they finally figured out which way east is and my barrel is hopefully headed in that direction!
Old October 27, 2021, 05:09 PM   #90
BornFighting88

Thanks all. I am pretty sure I am going to go with Hornady 143 ELD-X's. They seem to be the best for what I want to do. I have also had really good luck with Sierra tipped boattails in the past. Hopefully they offer something in the 6.5mm range.
Old October 27, 2021, 06:25 PM   #91
stagpanther

6.5 is one of the most popular calibers--should have no problem finding suitable bullets.
Old October 28, 2021, 08:46 AM   #92
stagpanther

Barrel finally made it to the post office. One of the end caps looked like it had been partially pried off, other than that the mailing tube looked to be in good shape and not run over by forklift or used as a tire iron. whew! Got a couple of projects ahead of this one but will get at it asap.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5933.jpg (188.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5932.jpg (176.5 KB, 75 views)
Old October 28, 2021, 08:58 AM   #93
sako2

HURRY up.
Old October 28, 2021, 09:05 AM   #94
stagpanther

Oh what the heck--here's a quick test fit into an old hogue stock I had lying around, I may put it together this way for the initial break-in while I figure out what stock and trigger I'll eventually end up with.

Almost forgot to mention the PVA barrel nut and jet blast brake. PVA--simply superior engineering IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5934.jpg (146.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5935.jpg (124.9 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; October 28, 2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old October 28, 2021, 09:55 AM   #95
sako2

Looks awesome. Should be a real blast shooting. The 6.5 prc isn't a heavy recoiler.
Old October 28, 2021, 11:03 AM   #96
stagpanther

The brake isn't so much for recoil reduction--I shoot much bigger magnums without brakes regularly--more a question of where that exhaust gas is directed to. Anyways, as much as I would like to use the hogue stock I decided to put the action in my MDT chassis so I can ditch the silly bottom bolt release altogether. I HATE those things!
Old October 28, 2021, 04:05 PM   #97
stagpanther

Got impatient, went ahead and did the install of the barrel and fitted to the MDT chassis. The 20 MOA Warne steel rail I picked--said it was for LA 110's-- of course does not fit-- so I have to revert back to a 0 MOA weaver aluminum rail which is barely adequate IMO. Just have to pick a scope and I'll be ready to get the first shots down the bore.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5942.jpg (208.1 KB, 71 views)
Old October 28, 2021, 06:21 PM   #98
BornFighting88

Those photos look great, stag!

I am excited to see this thing come together for you!

https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/?brand=764

I don’t know if that link will get you to the Savage rails, but the site is really easy to navigate. I picked up one of their rails for my Dumoulin. I like it a lot and it fits PERFECTLY!

Maybe you can find something that will work for you, too.
Old October 28, 2021, 10:18 PM   #99
stagpanther

Thanks--I didn't read the fine print on the size of the screws, which in my receiver are the smaller ones.
Old October 29, 2021, 04:49 PM   #100
BornFighting88

Ouch, talk about getting screwed. =-p

Can’t wait to see this thing finished. Anticipation is killing me. Almost as much as my build.