The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 11, 2021, 07:44 PM   #1
Bobgeorge

Outdoor Shooting Targets?

My wife and I are in the process of buying some land and I am thinking about setting up some outdoor targets. Anyone have any recommendations?

I’m thinking about getting some metal ones…but wondering if the bullets ricochet off them?

Thanks!
Old October 11, 2021, 10:38 PM   #2
SSGN-Doc

Yes, bullets will ricochet off of steel targets to some degree if not struck head on. Spalling is also something to consider. This is the bullet smashing and coming apart , sometimes bits can “back splash”.

Most metal targets of decent design and quality will come with a way to angle them so most strikes are directed downward. Swinging targets tend to naturally direct most spall and ricochets downward.

With this said, eye protection is paramount when shooting at metal targets. Also there are minimum distances considered safe to prevent injury.
Old October 14, 2021, 06:07 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

When shooting steel it is important that you are hitting the plate square on. If it is angled to the side a ricochet will occur. When you hit a plate square on the bullet will typically shatter. So the area directly below and to the sides around the plate will be hit with spalling.

Plate manufacturers will have recommendations on how far away you should be to be safe. I have personally shot 1/2" thick AR500 plates from 15 to 25 yards with pistols for years and never been hit with spall. I would not go any closer than that though. I am sure there will be someone along shortly to say I am standing too close to my target.\

ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!!
Old October 14, 2021, 09:17 AM   #4
jmhyer

Steel targets should be of sufficient hardness so as not to dent or pit when struck with projectiles. Ideally, they should also either swing freely or should be angled a bit toward the ground. I feel comfortable (and have done so for years) with a minimum distance of 7 yards for pistol calibers. Eye protection is a must.
Old October 14, 2021, 10:33 AM   #5
Pahoo

Will ricochet, However !!!

Quote:
I’m thinking about getting some metal ones…but wondering if the bullets ricochet off them?
They most certainly will, sooner or later. Some private ranges prohibit there use, unless they have erected them. You didn't give much detail, in their construction; so have to assume you might be referring to swinger of tree type construction. I have seen ricochets off hanging chains and wood. ......

At one of our private clubs, we allow them with certain requirements. We have a high berm and stacked railroad ties. Steel target have to be centered and no more than 18" from the face of the ties, we have four ranges; one for small-bores at close range, another at 50yds and a dual range of 100 & 200yds. Would add that the 200yd target stand has no steel, just a section of tire, stretched and secure to the ties. You won't hear the ring of the steel but at that range, you can hear the projectile "slap" the tread. ....

By the way, I'm jealous of your property. ......

Enjoy andl;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 14, 2021, 12:40 PM   #6
Shotgun Slim

When you see a steel target slightly angled forward you believe that the splatter will be directed downward. However when you see slo mo video of a proper undamaged target so angled you will see that there is a 360 degree splatter on the same angle as the target. 360 degrees. So some splatter goes down,some off to the side, and some mortars up and back towards where it came from. With no roof over the targets this splatter can travel quite a ways. The splatter is usually small and causes no harm but you wouldn't want to catch it in your eye. For your safety, buy targets from reputable folks like Action Target. Do not save a dollar by hanging some junkyard sheet steel or you will sadly learn soon why you should not have done that. Always always always wear eye protection,including bystanders that are behind the shooters.
Old October 14, 2021, 09:08 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Always heard, for steel, 10yds for 22s (or 7yds plus a 2ft buffer zone), 25yds for centerfire pistol 50yds for centerfire rifle, unless using frangible ammo. I have shot it close, around the 7yd line with centerfire pistol. I have caught some minor spauling, bounced off my clothes. it was unwise of me to shoot it that close.

Bullets generally tend to break apart and not go flying off into the distance if that is the concern. Hence the recommended distances to be safe from the bullet fragments.

they also have rubber targets you can hang or place for closer distances.

It really depends on what your shooting, and how far out your hoping to put the targets. Also be aware of your target and what's behind it, make sure you have a good back stop for the bullets.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; October 15, 2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old October 17, 2021, 12:09 PM   #8
Pahoo

Addressing ricochets

Quote:
Folks, it's not my intent to insult anyone, just bring situations to their attention. MODS, If I'm out of line, then by all means, delete this reply. I am a certified RSO and by my measure, this video should speak for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Ywxkkuh0M

Lastly, if you had a home behind this target, how far would you want to be ???

Be Safe !!!
Old October 17, 2021, 02:01 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
Folks, it's not my intent to insult anyone, just bring situations to their attention. MODS, If I'm out of line, then by all means, delete this reply. I am a certified RSO and by my measure, this video should speak for itself.
Having watched the video -- what are you saying it's supposed to be telling us about steel targets?
Jeepaholic
Old October 17, 2021, 11:13 PM   #10
DMY

I regularly shoot a variety of steel pistol targets at a public range. A steel plate rackat 15 yards, steel plates at 25 yards (both hinged at the base to fall backwards) and steel plates angled downward at 15 - 25 yards. There is always splatter. I occassionally feel splatter hit me and there is a considerable amount on the tarp which lays on the ground. Good eye protection cannot be underestimated.
Old October 18, 2021, 11:06 AM   #11
7.62 man

Also the rack you are hanging your steel targets from needs to have down facing angles to the front of it to deflect the spall of missed shots downward.
Be sure to get A400 for pistols at least 3/8 thick & A500 for rifles at least 1/2 thick. Shooting your plates from too close can damage the steel targets.
Old October 19, 2021, 08:59 AM   #12
dahermit

I made a swinging plate device out of common 3/16 x 12 inch. hot rolled steel. However, it should be noted that I only shoot my cast lead bullets at it. I shoot from inside a poll barn to the outside. Over the years, upon occasion, I have heard bullet fragments hit the roof of the building and on one occasion, felt the sting of a bullet fragment hitting my leg. Of course, I ALWAYS shoot with shooting glasses.

Most of the spent bullets are found on the ground about a foot from the plates.
Old October 19, 2021, 01:19 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

If you have a proper backstop (and you should-even when shooting steel targets) you can shoot at regular targets and tin cans.
Old October 21, 2021, 02:28 PM   #14
Ken61

I tilt the steel target so the bullet fragments hopefully go into the ground in front of the target.
Old October 21, 2021, 04:17 PM   #15
chupps

sure they will ricochet. Make sure you range is safe.

My recommendation for targets are fire extinguishers. Charged are best, but either way they are fun.

I get mine from a local fire extinguisher vendor for free. They told me that once expired their customers can get them recharged for free, or pay $10 for a new one. I get the extinguishers that are retired for free ones. Last visit I picked up about 45 extinguishers.
Old October 21, 2021, 07:14 PM   #16
Shadow9mm

You think the OP is going back? Bobgeorge has not logged on since the 11th when this thread was created. I hate it when people post n ghost.
Old October 22, 2021, 10:19 AM   #17
Pahoo

Good "Thread"

Quote:
The OP asked a question that is often asked and in fact, one that needs to be repeated. He's gotten some good replies and by now, he has defined his direction. .....

Ge Safe !!!
Old October 23, 2021, 09:19 PM   #18
tdrizzle

Targets

I will go the other way, non steel. My club seems to have a pretty good method, using for bases either metal holders or ones built from 2x4.

Make about six to seven foot long 2x4 lengths, stood upright in the holders. Put bolts in the back, two in each about 18 inches apart. Naybe put a bit of trim across the top, to keep its shape.

Cut chicken wire to fit between them, putting the holes in the wire through the bolts, cutting more chicken wire pieces as it gets shot up.

Use wood clothespins to hold whatever paper target you have to the chicken wire. The best part of this method is there is nothing to ricochet off of. When the wood or wire is shot enough, get some more.
Old October 24, 2021, 01:50 PM   #19
fotog54

I bought one of the sets from Yankee thunder. I’m happy with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old October 24, 2021, 09:10 PM   #20
101combatvet