The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 22, 2011, 10:22 PM   #126
Wagonman

Police are allowed to lie except in official reports and court. I believe SCOTUS. Codified that.

There is a difference between lying to benefit yourself personally i.e. "I wasn't there when the offender was struck" and lying for a Police purpose. "your buddy just told us you shot the dead guy, but if you tell us where The gun is and what happened we can help you" when he is in fact confessing to the murder

I am not implying any such thing. I am merely stating that the Officer deserves the same due process that any other citizen receives. While, what he has been alleged to have done may be a violation of regs of his department and perhaps a law or two... I can't say I wasn't there and frankly don't know the specifics of the case.

the fact that the thousands of positive interactions mean nothing to you just cements your animus and or prejudice against Cops.

It doesn't matter if there are thousands of uneventful interactions, you get on your high horse and scream about ONE guy who screwed up.

I read grousing about everything.....from PC to the temerity of a Cop parking in a no parking zone even though there isn't such a thing for emergency vehicles do you also believe that double parked delivery trucks should be cited also?...to pockets on pants

Seems like screaming before you are hurt to me.
Old July 22, 2011, 10:34 PM   #127
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
the fact that the thousands of positive interactions mean nothing to you just cements your animus and or prejudice against Cops.

It doesn't matter if there are thousands of uneventful interactions, you get on your high horse and scream about ONE guy who screwed up.
Man, I am sorry I didn't express with my words how I feel about the good contacts... I am happy for all involved in these... But I expect that. That is what the job requires.

Quote:
Police are allowed to lie except in official reports and court. I believe SCOTUS. Codified that.
But that doesn't make it right with me.

I think I am going to watch this continue "in real life" as I think the off with pay might be a CBA however I understand he started out on AL and it was changed to the sick leave.

Brent
Old July 22, 2011, 10:50 PM   #128
Wagonman

Your expectation is met 99.99 percent of the time, in the rare instances of TRUE bad acting punishment is always meted out, heck in cases of "bad" acting punishment is meted out if the PTB make a political choice

Why would you care what a Cop says to the dregs of humanity?
Old July 23, 2011, 12:19 AM   #129
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Enough!

This thread hasn't been about bashing cops, despite the opinions of two people early on in this thread.

It is not cop bashing when one officer makes an utter ass of himself and tarnishes the reputations of the other 99%.

Given the nature of the interaction between the officer and the citizen, it is not cop bashing for people to expect the officer be given the same treatment a citizen would have been given had the situation been reversed (if such a thing is even possible).

Anyone who has been here for any length of time, knows I shut down such threads as soon as I see them. This thread is not one of them.

Therefore, before tempers get any higher, and I am forced to send some of you packing....

Closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
civil rights , concealed carry , threaten