The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2017, 12:49 PM   #1
ViperDriver

7MM Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) Brass

I frequent several reloading websites and have noticed lamentations about the scarcity of 7MM Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) brass. I shoot the 270 WSM and, while the problem is not as severe, have a hard time finding brass, too. Thought folks here would appreciate knowing there are three lots of 7MM WSM brass (over 100 pieces total) up for auction right now on Gunbroker.com. Auctions end on Sunday, August 20th.

Love my WSM, but don't know how long that family of cartridges will survive, especially the 7MM and 325, without ammo or loading components being readily available.
Old August 14, 2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Leaveammoforme

What's the going rate?

I had over 300 Winchester head stamped 7 WSM brass that I lost in a move some how. Figures.
Old August 14, 2017, 03:38 PM   #3
ViperDriver

With the scarcity of 7MM WSM ammo or brass, the market has driven brass prices to between $1.50-$2.00 a piece. You were sitting on a goldmine!!!
Old August 17, 2017, 10:42 PM   #4
std7mag

Try buying actual 284 Win brass.
6.5-284 no prob.
Many places olmost $2 a piece.
Old August 18, 2017, 07:15 PM   #5
jmr40

The 300 and 270 WSM aren't in danger of going away. The 7mm WSM may well be the best of the bunch, but because of production snags it was late to be introduced into a niche market. Most everyone who wanted a WSM went ahead and bought a 300 or 270 WSM rather than wait. I could see the 7mm declining enough for production to stop. Or at least become something where a run of ammo is only made occasionally.

I never could understand the 325 WSM. It is too close to 300WSM and there simply aren't any good 8mm bullets. The 300 WSM can be loaded with all the same bullet weights, with much better bullets, and beats it in every category. If they wanted something bigger than 30 caliber then a 338 WSM would have made sense.

It should be possible to make brass from either 300 or 270WSM and I'm starting to see 300 WSM brass again at reasonable prices.

I owned a 300 WSM for a number of years and only recently sold mine. In the time I owned mine I NEVER found any brass for sale at any price. But I'd often find great deals on factory ammo that I shot up for the brass. I bought 10 boxes altogether on 2 different occasions for $10/box.

Winston Churchill
Old August 18, 2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Dufus

Quote:
I never could understand the 325 WSM. It is too close to 300WSM and there simply aren't any good 8mm bullets.
I don't know why you way there aren't any....MidwayUSA alone lists 36 different 8mm bullets.

Plus:
Barnes 3
Nosler 5
Cutting Edge 3
Woodleigh 7
Speer 3
and so on.
Old August 19, 2017, 12:14 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Only made by Winchester and they are not currently making any. This is why when you buy anything that is remotely unusual or new, you should also buy as much brass as you can afford. The assorted manufacturers' MBA's think nothing of discontinuing stuff with no regard for existing customers.
"...never could understand the..." Don't try. It'll give you brain damage. snicker.