The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 5, 2017, 07:13 PM   #1
44caliberkid

Revamping Mauser 98

I have had a nice sporterized Mauser 98 collecting dust in the closet for years. I have decided to do something with it this winter and am going to send it to E.R. Shaw to be rebarreled to 28 Nosler. It is currently still an 8mm Mauser. It will be a hunting gun. So my question is, do I go with the light weight sporter contour at 2lbs 11 oz. or the Magnum Sporter at 3lbs 2 oz. Barrel diameter at the muzzle is .550 and .600 respectively. And 2.00 vs. 2.25 at the breach end.
The potential targets will be antelope and mulies out west with a possibility of Canadian moose or bear. I just need advice on the contour, don't try to talk me out of the 28. I handload and want an unltra modern cartridge. I also have two milsurp 7mm Mausers, so I have bullets on hand and like the caliber.
Old August 5, 2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Scorch

Not trying to talk you out of the 28 Nosler, sounds like any other 7 mag on steroids. Just suggesting you consider a different action. Mauser actions were never designed for 65,000 psi hot rods. I have seen many, many Mausers suffer from locking lug setback in 7mm Mag and 300 magnums over the years. Military Mausers are mild steel carburized for strength, they were never intended for that kind of abuse.
Old August 5, 2017, 08:20 PM   #3
44caliberkid

Thank you. I will take that under advisement.
Old August 5, 2017, 09:10 PM   #4
HiBC

I know nothing about the 28 Nosler .So,I have nothing to add.
For myself,I'd look at the brass the rifle was designed for.(the 57 mm Mauser brass)
From there,I'd neck down,up,AckleyImprove,etc.
IMO,there was a time I'll call the "Weatherby" era,where it was all about high vel and flattening trajectory. That was before we learned as much about ranging ,ballistics,and having accurate turrets on our scopes.
These days,with .308 velocities we can use our tools to whatever range we have sufficient velocity to make our bullets perform.
Just one man's opinion,but even a 7x57 AI will give you velocity enough for at least 400 yds. (+)
How far do you want to shoot?
Now,to your original question....About half the folks will argue either way.
For myself,I spend hundreds of times more time carrying than I do shooting.
Up to a reasonable point,I'll take the lighter rifle .
Some want the weight. You choose.
I'm not knocking E.R.Shaw,but if the point was the last gnats .....elbow? of accuracy from the heavier barrel, I might go with a lighter contour of a more premium barrel.
If good hunting accuracy,say 1.5 MOA works,The lighter contour is fine.
I have a #3 Lilja on a Husky Mauser that cuts that in half,easily.

You will have to figure out your own preferences.
Old August 5, 2017, 10:22 PM   #5
std7mag

I just received my barrel from E.R. Shaw.
284 Win.
24"
1.5 contour
Polished, blued
11 degree target crown.

They do a beautiful job!

I'm putting mine on a "commercial" Mauser action. Actually an Interarms Whitworth.

As mentioned, i wouldn't got with that high of a pressure on a surplus Mauser action.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old August 6, 2017, 03:23 PM   #6
SaxonPig

Bear? What kind of bear? Unless very small I would want more than a 284 caliber.

Sounds like a very high velocity long range caliber. Need that? Useful where you plan to hunt? Oh, you said not to question your caliber choice as you want something modern. Right. Forget all those antiquated cartridges that have only been doing the job for 100 years or more.

IMO don't need a bull barrel for hunting where one or two shots will be fired. Why carry the extra weight? Of course with that modern high intensity cartridge you might want a lot of barrel length to get full potential.

Other than that I have nothing to offer. Good luck on the build.
Old August 6, 2017, 03:41 PM   #7
44caliberkid

While I am old, and shoot old stuff, I was thinking of trying something new with this project. I hadn't considered Scorch's point, just figured they wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe. But he makes sense, so I guess I'll go more retro with 50's-60's style Jack O'Conner 270. The gun is already styled like that anyway. Thanks for everyone's comments.
BTW, I used to live in Alaska and a lot of bears have been taken with a 7mm, including by me with my brothers Ruger M77 7mm Mag.
Old August 6, 2017, 06:02 PM   #8
Paul B.

Just a thought but wouldn't going to a 28 Nosler require some drastic action work on the magazine a well? Come to think of some Mauser customs on military actions have magazines too short for even 30-06 length cartridges.
I had a nice commercial FN Mauser action made into a neat 7x57 stalking rifle type sporter. I may use it this December on a cow elk hunt I have planned. Just have to get a load worked up that makes the rifle and me happy.
Paul B.
Old August 6, 2017, 06:32 PM   #9
RC20

Well going by SAAMI pressure, the 280 is about twice what the 8mm was.

It sounds like you are headed elsewhere, good for that, as I would call that a show stopper.

If you want real retro, try a 7.5 x 55 Swiss. It has a lot going for it and a huge range of 30 caliber bullets (yes they are the right size)

I still live in Alaska. I was more than willing to use my 7mm on a bear if I needed to.

It sure was not my first choice though.

My step dada father took something like 8 grizzly bears (property protection and they were big ones, something about his homestead area everything was BIG, wood Caribou the size of a small moose, moose the size of a hill) with a 30-06.

Again it was what he had, he was extremely experienced.

That said as much as I love the 30-06, not my first choice either. If I lived in that country I would have a 375 HH or equal for that kind of work.
Old August 6, 2017, 06:41 PM   #10
44caliberkid

I have a K31 Swiss milsurp in 7.5. Mine is like new and shoots great.
Old August 6, 2017, 06:54 PM   #11
std7mag

44caliber,

If your thinking of going the 270 route, let me know. I can sell you my original barrel on the cheap.
270 Win
24"
Nice polished blued.
Fits large ring Mauser.
Old August 7, 2017, 08:12 PM   #12
ligonierbill

CIP MAP:
.280 Rem 4,050 bar
8x57 3,900 bar

To go with the new Nosler rounds, you would have to open the bolt face as well. If you want a classic hunter, think about 338-06 or 35 Whelen. Unfortunately, Shaw doesn't sell this bore, or I'd say go 9.3x62 Mauser (on that kick right now).
Old August 7, 2017, 10:05 PM   #13
Geimer

I don't see the attraction to the 28 Nosler, and I can see
why you re-thought that and are thinking 270, much better
idea. Also the 7X57 is great, and the 7X57 AI better yet.
I have had a bunch of guns chambered 7X57. W D M Bell
used the 7X57 most, killed almost 800 elephants with it,
yet it is mild on recoil, and you can shoot it all day long
without discomfort. Another one I like is the 6.5/257,
a 6.5 mm using the 7X57 or 257 Roberts case.

Last edited by Geimer; August 8, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old August 8, 2017, 08:24 AM   #14
tobnpr

What Scorch said....

Kuhnhausen (most regard as "the man" for Mausers) recommends all be re-heat treated, especially if converting to a Magnum chambering (receiver, bolt and cocking piece).

I would not consider it if the receiver is dated '42 or later.

You should have a smith pull the barrel and inspect for suitability. Can't see lug setback (which is different than typical wear and could be an issue) without doing this. If it looks like a "go", all the truing work can be done on the action/bolt and then sent out for heat-treat before assembly.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 8, 2017, 12:44 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...rebarreled to 28 Nosler..." Buy as much brass as you can afford at the same time. Even if you don't reload. The MBA's running the assorted manufacturers think nothing of discontinuing stuff with zero regard for existing customers.
.28 Nosler ammo is currently available only from No$ler starting at ~ $60 per 20. Midway has it on sale for $55ish. $67.99 per 25 for brass. Also No$ler only. Currently on 'Backorder OK' at Midway. On sale at $64.99 per 25 at Graf's. Graf's is showing loaded 168 grain ammo as on sale at $44.99 per 20. 3 or more boxes at $42.74 per box.
Anyway, as mentioned, the Nosler is larger in diameter than the 8mm Mauser. 94 thou at the shoulder and 80 thou at the case head. It has a rebated rim that is .543" diameter. So it'll require bolt head work. OAL shouldn't be an issue.
SAAMI Max pressure is 65,000 PSI. SAAMI Max pressure for 8mm Mauser is 35,000 PSI. CIP says 56,560 PSI though.
Old August 8, 2017, 01:20 PM   #16
emcon5

Good thread, I just picked up a Czech made Israeli K98 action I am planning on building into a light weight utility/hunting rifle, more or less a Jeff Cooper Scout concept.

How does E.R. Shaw compare with other barrel makers? Seems like I could send the whole thing to them and get it how I want it fairly inexpensively.
Old August 8, 2017, 08:51 PM   #17
44caliberkid

Part of my reason for choosing ER Shaw is that they inspect the action and do the trueing work. I don't know a 'smith in Iowa that I would feel comfortable doing the work.
I would consider the 7x57 but I have two already, both milsurp Spanish Mauser, one rifle, one carbine. Also have a spare sporter barrel in that caliber.
I'll take Std7mag up on his offer to buy his 270 barrel, but then need a gunsmith who is good with Mauser, close to the Midwest.
Today I took the rifle to the range with some civilian 8mm, 170 grain Bullets, and it shot incredibly. Three holes cloverleafed with the fourth about half inch away. I bought this at an auction years ago, brought it home and stuck it in the closet. Less than $100 because it was old and an 8mm. If I lived in a rifle state for deer hunting I could probably use it or resell it. It is a very well done sporterization.
Old August 9, 2017, 03:15 AM   #18
HiBC

There is nothing wrong with 8x57.If your original barrel is shooting cloverleafs...You say its a nice sporter...Seems like I've been seeing 8x57 brass lately...maybe Hornady? Look to Midway,etc.
I might be considering what other project could I spend all that money on.
300 yd elk won't know the difference.
Old August 9, 2017, 06:32 AM   #19
ligonierbill

Shaw did an excellent job on my '40 Borsigwalde Mauser. I sent them the action sans barrel, and they installed a .257 Roberts and blued the whole thing. Nice job, and it shoots good. If you research the net, you will find that some have a negative opinion of E. R. Shaw. They have attempted to up their game recently, and I think they have always been a good choice for hunting rifles. They are now offering complete "precision" rifles. I don't know how they stack up.
Old August 9, 2017, 09:06 AM   #20
tobnpr

Shaw barrels are OK (I personally own a rifle fitted with one)- but for the same $$, I'd go with Shilen (and do).

As with any gunsmith, "Truing" or "Blueprinting" an action varies widely- there is no standard.

The fact that they say they true every action, but lapping lugs is "optional"- tells me that their standard "truing" is squat.

Quote:
Your new Shaw barrel can be installed onto your supplied action by our in-house gunsmiths. Each action is trued before barrel installation, and other services may be requested such as the lapping of your locking lugs,
Be sure you know what you're paying for. EXACTLY what operations will be performed on the action and bolt? True receiver face? True receiver threads? True boltface? True lugs?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 9, 2017, 10:15 AM   #21
SaxonPig

I confess that I have zero experience shooting bears. But I have seen bears and for something that large that I know can and will kill me I want something bigger than a 7mm. Maybe just my ignorance showing...
Old August 9, 2017, 11:19 AM   #22
emcon5

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with 8x57.If your original barrel is shooting cloverleafs...You say its a nice sporter...Seems like I've been seeing 8x57 brass lately...maybe Hornady? Look to Midway,etc.
This. 8X57 will kill anything in North America, even with the wimpy US SAMMI Spec commercial ammo. For more detail on what I am talking about, read this thread.

Don't fix what ain't broke.
Old August 9, 2017, 11:50 AM   #23
GeauxTide

I have 3 Shaw, two Interarms and a 700, in 6.5-06 and 280 Rem. One 280 Interarms sports the 26" Fluted Heavy Sporter, and the 280 700 has a 24" Remington #1 (Light Sporter). I'm suggesting the Spiral Fluted Heavy Sporter because it comes in 26", which the 28 will need for designed performance. Love ER Shaw Barrels.
Old August 9, 2017, 09:34 PM   #24
std7mag

Sent PM to 44Caliber.

As for Shaw barrels, i just received my second one.
First was a "special". 250 Savage for a Savage 10. 24" polished blued for $125.

Second was special order. Both look great. Haven't had chance to shoot either yet.

I've seen/held several of their rifles. I really like them, especially for the price.
1 in particular. 7mm Rem Mag. Polished stainless with the barrel grooves painted black. Had muzzle brake screwed on. Couldn't tell where narrel ended and brake started. I looked hard. Couldn't see any line. Guy at counter did unscrew it to prove it was separate.
Old August 10, 2017, 06:28 AM   #25
HiBC

I did not intend to put down Shaw barrels.
The OP asked about heavy vs light contours.This is just my opinion.
If the intent is a practical hunting rifle,with good hunting accuracy,IMO,a light contour mid quality barrel,such as a Shaw,can certainly deliver.
I have been very happy with every Douglas barrel I have used.
Frankly,the most mediocre barrels I've seen were from the major firearms manufacturers.
Again,just my opinion,if the desired rifle is to be in the sub-MOA zone of HUNTING rifle,my priority would go for the higher cost of a top tier barrel in a #3 or so before I would go a #5 or target contour in a more affordable barrel I prefer lighter rifles. That's just me.
It was never intended as a slam on Shaw.