The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 27, 2017, 09:58 AM   #1
Mystro

300blk platform and Ammo LE Dept trial test. A forum exclusive as to how we do it.

I wanted to give you a heads up of a LE Dept trial selection for a new 300blk platform. I will be one of 6 that will be evaluating the SBR's and ammo to recomend a complete tactical system for SWAT and other tactical law-enforcement applications. The platform has to be flexible enough to be used in a variety of applications. AR uppers will vary in size to fit each teams needs. This will play a role on Ammo selection and other factors.
The SBR's will sometime be suppressed and unsuppressed so they have to function equally well in both configurations.
I have received permission to post some of our findings and evaluations as we go about our selection process. This will take bout 6 weeks and I will post along the way. The LE Departments and some other sensitive info will be left out but most of that info is not forum relative. I hope the forums will find it interesting.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; July 27, 2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old July 27, 2017, 10:39 AM   #2
TrueBlue711

Looking forward to the results! I'm getting into 300 BLK as well and would like to hear about what ammo works great with 10" barrel and suppressed (if that's part of the test trials).
Old July 27, 2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Mystro

We will have about all sizes of uppers represented.

Several SWAT are already using this Ammo. It has worked outstanding in every length of barrel so far and will be one of the Ammo selections in this trial.
Not the cheapest but probably the best being used in real world tactical applications I have seen.

https://youtu.be/hkgxahtohQU

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; July 27, 2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old July 27, 2017, 11:15 AM   #4
themalicious0ne

This is great! I would love to hear the results.
Old July 27, 2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Mobuck

Well, at least we'll know we can "out range" the fuzz.
Old July 28, 2017, 12:25 AM   #6
ed308

Not the cheapest but probably the best being used in real world tactical applications I have seen.

As hard as I try, I just can't get on the BO train. The .300 BO has never impressed me, especially for hunting. When it comes to personal protection, this what I would term as outstanding. LE probably couldn't use it since anybody shoot with it would be DEAD. 45 VRAP....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2edmBTzEo

Last edited by ed308; July 28, 2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old July 28, 2017, 04:55 AM   #7
Ibmikey

The 300 BO has quickly become one of my favorite cartridges for my rifles and AR based pistols, I load only supersonic and prefer 125 gr SP for hog hunting. As far as the ability of this round to take down a foe I put one projectile into a 350# hog which decided to die very quickly thereafter. With smaller hogs and correct shot placement the hogs are anchored every bit as well as calibers with greater energy, the largest factor being the need for short distances to get the most out of the Blackout. In the E Texas area where I have been invited to aid in the reduction of the hog population small clearings and dense woods prevail and few shots over a hundred yards will be available.
I can see the LE ( retired with 30+ years) use of the cartridge in both sub and super sonic applications.
Old July 30, 2017, 05:13 PM   #8
stagpanther

Look no further than Barnes 300BO 110 gr Tac TX. I totally get why LE would want to take a look at 300 BO--Very easy controllable shooting for fast and steady follow-up--sort of like having a 100 yd capable 9mm without the 5.56's hyper velocity and over-penetration issues
Old July 30, 2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Mobuck

"-sort of like having a 100 yd capable 9mm without the 5.56's hyper velocity and over-penetration issues"

I can agree with the 100 yard capable 9mm but not with the "hyper velocity and over-penetration issues". When using similar construction (FMJ) bullets, the 300 will over-penetrate just as easily or even more so than the 5.56. If using quick expanding bullets, the 5.56 is actually less likely to over penetrate because it's higher impact velocity(at the 100 yard mark) will expand it's bullets quicker.
Old July 31, 2017, 01:32 AM   #10
bamaranger

curious

All very interesting, and I must admit, surprising. To move away from .223/5.56 when it is near universal in the LE community, seems a very bold step. In my observations and limited circles here, the AR carbine (.223) seems to have only recenly been accepted as a patrol item on a wide scale, and still not completely prevalent. By way of example, it is still not uncommon for rural deputies (who could likely well use the penetration, power and accuracy of a rifle cartridge) here to still have only a shotgun in the vehicle. And our biggest PD (60-70 officers /50-60,000 residents) does not issue patrol carbines, and a patrol officer can only use a personally owned carbine after a special carbine class (understandable, but not always easily obtained) and then approval by administration.

To read that central PA is utilizing SBR and suppressed weapons, but considering an entire new cartridge (with limited history) is quite an eye opener. Please advise as to what advantage(s) the .300 BLK brings to the table to make it superior to the .223/5.56 for LE? Also, I'd be interested in the scale of use, how many officers/depts, would be making this possible change? I've got some connections to central PA and am going to make some followup calls. Very interested in your test program.
Old July 31, 2017, 04:23 AM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
I can agree with the 100 yard capable 9mm but not with the "hyper velocity and over-penetration issues". When using similar construction (FMJ) bullets, the 300 will over-penetrate just as easily or even more so than the 5.56. If using quick expanding bullets, the 5.56 is actually less likely to over penetrate because it's higher impact velocity(at the 100 yard mark) will expand it's bullets quicker.
Velocity of the 300BO--and hence it's energy--falls off very rapidly after 100 yds or so; and that's with a supersonic load. If you need range and stopping power--than yeah, the 300 BO is not a good choice. Do PD's need designated snipers these days? Don't know--and maybe they may need them in certain situations--but I'm guessing the vast majority of their engagements happen within 100 yds. My 300 BO pistol is very easy to shoot and keep on target shooting freehand, very portable and concealable compared to a regular 5.56 carbine.
Old August 4, 2017, 09:23 AM   #12
Mystro

Just as a disclosure: My location has nothing to do with who and which LE Dept is interested in adopting the 300blk. A NDA is applied to much of our testing, requirements and parties involved. That is SOP.
I will paint broad strokes of the findings along the way. Testing may go into the fall depending all the equipment and Ammo involved. As with other testing I have done in the past for the forums, sometimes it's the info I cant disclose is the most interesting. Depending on the test and equipment, the manufacturer insists any sensitive or proprietary information be left out publicly. It's the only way I can get permission to do any of these forum reviews. This 300blk evaluation is not manufacture related but still has A lot of sensitive info that can't be published. As far as the 300blk and it's current capabilities, I will be working with some equipment and Ammo that is not released yet and may never be available to the general public. From what I have seen so far, the 300blk is in its infancy as to where it is headed. Industry standards of the 300blk is still way too loose and that needs to be be addressed.

Old August 4, 2017, 09:58 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
"Industry standards of the 300blk is still way too loose"
Just curious--in what ways?
Old August 4, 2017, 10:08 AM   #14
Mystro

Not to get into it too much, but Ammo is all over the place in it's manufacturing standard with the 300blk. Uppers also are set up to chase the Ammo inconsistencies. This is just from my own ownership experience. I'm sure we will get into this in depth once the testing starts.

Old October 21, 2017, 09:19 PM   #15
Mystro

Just a update. Due to the hurricane, our testing was interrupted and has been delayed. Not sure how long but it’s gonna be a few months.

Old October 21, 2017, 10:12 PM   #16
Sharkbite

Quote:
Ammo is all over the place in it's manufacturing standard with the 300blk.
I dont understand this statement. 300blk is a SAMMI standardized cartridge. Pressures are established. Cartridge specs are published. All dimensions established. Its not a wildcat.

Lots of load development since its inception.
Old October 22, 2017, 06:49 AM   #17
Bartholomew Roberts

You are doing professional ballistics testing for a police department using Clear Ballistics Gel with no BB calibration?
Old October 22, 2017, 10:24 AM   #18
Sharkbite

I found a post more then a year ago, where you said you were developing this bullet. Now you are testing it for an unspecified LE agency?

At a nonstandard testing distance and in uncalibrated gel??

Seems kinda Bubba-ish