The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 4, 2017, 07:25 PM   #26
marine6680

You need to post that in the for sale section... The mods don't like sale posts in the general forum sections.
Old July 4, 2017, 07:29 PM   #27
Rob228

Quote:
Considering the ak safety is a giant lever u can see from space and can be engaged if the rifle is cocked or not compared to the AR safety that can't be engaged until the hammer is cocked I would say it's a matter of opinion.
The downside to that is that it gets snagged on things. For a well trained person that isn't an issue, but time and time again when dealing with poorly trained US and third party militaries, that isn't the case. The amount of people who will throw a slung condition one weapon around their back, where they have no control over the firing controls blows the mind. Now I can't say that an AK will come off safe easier than an AR due to the massive size of its safety, and honestly my whole argument comes down to training, but in the end I am going to come around and agree with you that the size of the safety doesn't matter (if that is what you were getting at?)
Old July 4, 2017, 08:13 PM   #28
jdc1244

Quote:
Yesterday was the final straw for me and I made the decision to seek an amicable divorce from the AK style rifle.
And you’re at liberty to do so, however subjective.

True, the AR is clearly the superior platform, and you make some valid points as to why that’s the case – but to abandon the AK platform altogether really isn’t justified.

I have three AR rifles and two AK rifles, and at least one of each platform comes to the range with me, I also enjoy shooting both platforms.
Old July 4, 2017, 08:23 PM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
True, the AR is clearly the superior platform
Until it goes down, anyway.
Old July 5, 2017, 12:03 AM   #30
dvdcrr

If we were ever in a land war all out with the Russian Army, their boat loads of AK74's would be very much an asset for them.
What the modern AK74 equipped with a red dot provides:
More than adequate battlefield accuracy.
Extremely controllable in full auto, due to low impulse round, massive reciprocating assembly, and muzzle brake. This yields very effective suppressing fire.

Extremely reliable operation.
Logistically equal to or slightly better than our system.
Rifles, magazines and ammo are as light or lighter.
So, you equip the 3.5 million active and reserve Russians and get them moving forward offensively, and you have a very formidable opponent.
Also during the recent Russian military parade there were marching snipers and some on rooftops with rifles which looked to put the Dragunovs to shame.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old July 5, 2017, 12:20 AM   #31
dvdcrr

"AR safety easier to use and safer than AK safety system.
AR safety faster to manipulate, both on/off.
AR safety is safer than AK.
AR bolt can be easily locked open.
AR bolt locks open on last round fired.
AR magazines are easier and faster to load.
AR ergonomics are superior to AR ergos (unless you modify AK to be more like AR).
AR is easier to get into battery.
AR optics are easier to put on rifle.
AR is more controllable and easier to get on and stay on target with multiple rounds.
AR standard adjustable stock allows for much better LOP options than AK.
AR sights are easier and faster to use.
AR standard 5.56 round is plenty effective.
AR ammo and mags are lighter weight and you can carry more.
AR .223/5.56 ballistic performance superior to 7.62 x 39 (why do you think the Soviets moved over to the 5.45 round)
AR rifles are "America's rifle" and enjoy the longest running status as America's primary small arm.
AR rifles parts and manufacturers are all over the USA and parts are plentiful and the quality of the modern AR is simply outstanding, unlike any "american" AK.
AR ammunition is made here in the USA (for the most part) and we are not reliant on overseas manufacturers for AK ammo supplies."

This is like a list of why I like pepperoni vs. sausage:
Not quite as Salty
More popular in America
Thinner and more red colored.
More round, can be sliced neater
Etc.
Doesnt objectively mean anything. You take a trained platoon equipped with the modern full auto AK74, they can do anything one equipped with the M4 can do.
This guy doesn't seem to care:
https://youtu.be/aiQr5QRO3-E
https://youtu.be/IPF5IyN3BJs
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old July 5, 2017, 01:46 AM   #32
mellow_c

The 7.62x39 wins the war of penetration in most cases I believe, using just standard fmj ammo anyway.

I think that is a pretty relevant difference between the two when it comes right down to it.

I would agree that the AR in 5.56 is generally going to be more user friendly, and as a result, it would probably be safe to say it's a more efficient rifle than a standard Ak.

I think it really comes down to the fact that the AR in 5.56 is about the best thing out there when it comes to a "do it all" semi auto rifle (big game hunting aside), but I still think the AK still has its place, and that it can do some things better than an AR can...

I really enjoy both platforms. If I had to chosen one, it would be a difficult choice, but I think it would be the AR... That being said, id still have a lot of healthy respect for anyone who would opt for the AK, no matter their reasoning.

And that being said, a smooth bore pump shotgun and a pocket full of slugs, is capable of quite a bit, even out past 100 yards if you know the gun.

Reminds me of something from a book I read, Harry Constance, the navy seal from the book Good To Go made a reference at the end of the book to somehow or another needing to possibly go up against a bunch of gang members armed with automatic weapons when he was back here in the states, and he said something like "six shots from a .357 and a pump shotgun is all I need to get the job done."

Obviously, it comes down to the person behind the gun more than the gun its self in most cases.

Annnnyway, yeah, I think most people would feel more comfortable and confident with an AR, and as far as actual measurable advantages, the AR probably wins in most cases, vs an AK, at least in the scenarios most of us would envision.

If I were the OP, id still hang on to the AK just because, you know one day, you'll want to shoot it again, but wont be able to if it's gone! Either that or sell it and buy a fresh one just to have it around...

But only you know what's best for you, and you gotta do what you gotta do. So thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts

Last edited by mellow_c; July 5, 2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old July 5, 2017, 04:25 AM   #33
HistoryJunky

I enjoy shooting AKs more. That's all that matters to me.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old July 5, 2017, 06:47 AM   #34
stagpanther

The funny thing about the 7.62 x 39--it's case design has spawned some of the most accurate cartridges in existence. One day, I hope someone makes AK's more modifiable. My personal feeling is that the AK's simple piston-driven chevy small block bolt and trunion breech is vastly superior to an AR in terms of consistent reliability under the widest variety of conditions.
Old July 5, 2017, 10:04 AM   #35
marine6680

Yeah, the action isn't a problem... It's just that the rifle platform is dated, and doesn't lend well to modularity. The modernization efforts have helped the Russians, but not to the same extent as the AR. The bolt on modernization methods we use over here in the US are not ideal most of the time.

You can take the same basic action of an AK, and put it in a more ergonomic and modular platform, and have a good reliable rifle that can be as adaptable as the AR.

Sig had something similar in their 500 series rifles...
Old July 5, 2017, 10:13 AM   #36
Venom1956

I was just about to ask if your sam7s safety failed you? The factory one not the Krebs u have installed now. Did u charge it while it was on safe and it go ip and out? Looks like u have detent damage on ur top cover.

The Current Sam7s are one of my least favorite aks. The original had all the correct parts but the new ones have a mismatched combination of parts for it's safety and it has been the ONLY unsafe ak I've ever had experience. I saw one literally out of the box for a mere two minutes before the safety failed started to disassemble itself and bind up why they checked the chamber while on safe. The ambi safety gets stuck in the receiver and u need to disassemble it to get it going. Also if u remove the ambi safety it won't bind but worse yet the FA safety lever can go high enough to trip the sear and have a AD or ND. I like arsenal rifles but I had it out with them over that gun over the phone and emails with videos showing the issues. They are aware of it at this point. It should sport the correct top cover or not be sold. If you look at the image of the Sam7sf on arsenals website they have the correct top cover in the images for the rifle and krink.

It really irks me how everyone raved about this gun on yt and review sights when it took a novice minutes to make one fail.

Plus that folding stock is way too long.

Guys seriously if that's the ak he's based his opinion on for this post he's 100% correct. Honestly im glad op or anyone else wasn't hurt.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 8, 2017, 11:55 PM   #37
brian33x51

The proper replacement is the .... ar180 ... which lives on in the hk g36 and the sig mcx to name a couple. But really the point I want to make is that the only real appeal of the ar15/m4 is the availability, interchangeability and for now cost.

The technology is absolutely nothing to brag about, both foreign and US companies have easily surpassed the design of both the ak47 and the ar15. Many of them still need a bit of refining.

Makes me think I should consider dumping my aks and other old semi auto rifles and move to the mcx platform.
Old July 9, 2017, 08:54 AM   #38
Deaf Smith

Yes I have them both and note I have THREE ARs but only one AK (Yogo underfolder.)

Yea I went to the AR platform to. BTW, none of my three ARs have failed to work and one of them I've used for over 10 years.

Deaf
Old July 10, 2017, 12:27 AM   #39
Ignition Override

Austin1776:

With no background as soldier or LEO, I have no qualifications nor experience with which to judge what should be best in any anticipated situation. It can be interesting to read preferences of guys who served in combat or combat support jobs, and I have done so.

Your list of the AR's advantages appears solid.
My hat's off to the other posters, as you guys (or a few gals) seem to have avoided personal attacks resulting from other peoples' choices and arguments.

Although my Preference is for the basic iron sight 7.62x39 AKs, I certainly appreciate the reduced muzzle rise of .223 ARs, aperture sight = quicker target acqusition (plus sight dist. on 20" barrel ARs), and easier mag changes, although this can be practiced and clearly improved with any AK. AR components choices are quite impressive.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 11, 2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old July 10, 2017, 02:54 PM   #40
TrueBlue711

I'm probably not really adding to the thread, but I'm pretty much in the same boat as everybody on the thread. I agree with your points and also favor the AR over the AK, but I would not have sold the AK. I have both and enjoy shooting both, but keep an AR next to my bed instead of the AK. My AK is my "fun gun" with the Slide Fire stock on it.
Another good thing about the AR that I didn't see (I kinda just skimmed the comments, so may have missed it) is the caliber selection. AKs come in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 for the most part. ARs have a variant for almost every caliber AND some of them can be swapped with just an upper change. I think the days of associating the AR with only 5.56 are over. If you don't like the 5.56, get an AR in a different caliber like the 300 Blackout or even an AR10 in 308; keep the ergonomics of the AR and shoot the caliber of your liking.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; July 10, 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old July 10, 2017, 04:34 PM   #41
A pause for the COZ

While not abandoning my AK. Well ok maybe I have since it just sits in the safe for the last three years.
I found that if I wanted to shoot a com block gun in 7.62x39 I was grabbing the SKS. Its more accurate when not just dumping a 30 round mag at a 5 gal bucket. It will do 3 inches at 100 yards. AK is pie plate accurate at 100 yards.

But after purchasing a AR15 in 7.62x39 I have completely shifted to the AR platform. Its shoots the bull out at 100 yards. I.E. Hits what I am aiming at. Turns the 7.62x39 into an actual shooters cartridge. Instead of a noise maker. I do understand though. The 7.62x39 in the AR is never going to be as reliable as a AK. There are some trade offs made to get it into the AR form factor.
But for my over all shooting. Reliability is not the top concern. lets face it I can grab a second gun or take the time to clear a stoppage at the range.
SHTF... Different needs. Reliability may just move up the priority scale.
being able to shoot the bull at 100 yards would give way to accurate enough to get the job done and work every time.

Dont get me wrong I know a guy who can shoot lights out with an AK and it is his number one choice in all guns.
When he went sbr he went with an AK.
For me though, its what I was trained on. Its what I know inside and out.
Counting my AR 10 I have 6 of them.

AR 10 in 308 win
Ar 15 in 73.62x 39 Carbine
Ar 15 in 223 Rifle length
AR 15 in 223 carbine.
AR 15 300 Black out Carbine
AR 15 300 Back Out Pistol ( soon to be SBR)

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; July 10, 2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old July 10, 2017, 05:19 PM   #42
hdwhit

Quote:
Austin1776 wrote:
So here's my "take" on it and why I've decided to focus my resources and training time on the AR platform.
I wholeheartedly agree with your decision. Focusing on a single platform causes every training session to build upon its predecessor rather than splitting it between consolidating different, and competing, pathways in the brain.
Old July 11, 2017, 01:14 AM   #43
Ignition Override

A pause for the Coz: as with your background having training on the AR, it would be a surprise if such a person chose any AK over whichever AR.

With no formal or any other type of AR tng., it's so easy for some of us simply to generally prefer an AK for hitting orange plastic cubes (from Academy) at 50 yards.
Such a gun need not be the most accurate at 300 yards, or have aperture sights.

Were most of our metro area to ever suffer an extremely Unlikely, prolonged electrical blackout (sabotage: on site/hacking etc, followed by overrun retail gas/groceries/pharmaceuticals avail.) it's nice to know that we have a compact rifle for 'car carry'.
My AMD-65 (TGI), SAR-1 or MAK 90 could work quite well. Likewise, the S&W M&P Sport II 'M4'.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 11, 2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old July 11, 2017, 01:25 AM   #44
Nacho Man

I prefer having both
Old July 11, 2017, 09:01 AM   #45
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
A pause for the Coz: as with your background having training on the AR, it would be a surprise if such a person chose any AK over whichever AR.

With no formal or any other type of AR tng., it's so easy for some of us simply to generally prefer an AK for hitting orange plastic cubes (from Academy) at 50 yards.
Such a gun need not be the most accurate at 300 yards, or have aperture sights.

Were most of our metro area to ever suffer an extremely Unlikely, prolonged electrical blackout (sabotage: on site/hacking etc, followed by overrun retail gas/groceries/pharmaceuticals avail.) it's nice to know that we have a compact rifle for 'car carry'.
My AMD-65 (TGI), SAR-1 or MAK 90 could work quite well. Likewise, the S&W M&P Sport II 'M4'.
Thats true. i shoot in the American style for sure. My AK buddy showed me how to properly shoot an AK. It is a completely different style. he is face up to his target with the gun more to his center lower between collar bone and shoulder. he locks the gun into his body in a way that it can not move.
I swear he is not even aiming he is just looking at the target and hitting again and again. Out past 300 yards every time.
Plus his AK is no cheap off the shelf stamped steel model. His are hand made machined works of art. ( he used to build them for a living) He kept his best work for him self.

His skill along with his best in class guns is a pure joy to watch. leaves me with my mouth hanging open wishing I could shoot like that.

Alas I cant. but I can shoot the heck out of an AR.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; July 11, 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old July 11, 2017, 09:42 AM   #46
stagpanther

nice!
Old July 17, 2017, 10:54 AM   #47
brian33x51

In an urban SHTF scenario I could easily see beating the crap out of someone with an AK47 with no worries about its operation....but with an m4/ar15?
Old July 17, 2017, 12:30 PM   #48
Tomas

Why do I have to choose? Why do I have to pick between my Honda and Chevy? If u have Semis u should keep them as investments. They will be coming for all of them again.
Old July 17, 2017, 04:07 PM   #49
Fishbed77

I'll just stick with both.

And a vz.58. And maybe pick up a Tavor/X95 one day too for good measure. And a Bren...
Old July 20, 2017, 01:16 AM   #50
marine6680

Brian... When I was in the military... During training...

I beat on my issued M16 so hard, it was basically abuse.

Buried an attached bayonet into a wooden post as a full Sprint.

Used the thing as a man lift to pick up people over obstacles.

Slammed the buttstock against a hard rubber dummy, braced against a post, as hard as I could. (Admittedly, I didn't swing it like a club, but not even an AK could take that kind of hit)

All scenarios resulted in no mechanical damage... I later used that same rifle to qualify expert on the rifle range.

An AR made to mil specs is tougher than people think.