The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Emerson Biggies

Are my Barrel and Receiver out of line?

I mounted a new scope and rings on my Henry .22 lever. The receiver has a dovetail groove for the scope. The scope would not track to the left at it's extreme adjustment limit. The closest I could come to bullseye at 25 feet is 4 inches to right.
Moving the rings and scope to a new Savage 22 rifle, the scope adjustments were close to center of their limits.
I'm beginning to believe my Henry's barrel is not pointed in the same direction as my receiver.
Maybe a gunsmith has some way of checking this alignment?
Prop the barrel and butt stock between two rests and sit on the left side?
Old July 2, 2017, 12:26 PM   #2
g.willikers

If you have a large piece of glass or mirror or a glass top table to lay the gun down on, check it for yourself.
Compensation for the differences of the thicknesses of the receiver and barrel will have to be considered.
Old July 2, 2017, 12:46 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

It sounds like the dovetail isn't straight.
Got any precision measuring tools like a Vernier calipre? Measure the distance from the dovetail to the edge of the receiver(a straight edge like a steel ruler, a piece of window glass or something you know is flat, held on the side will make that easier.). Should be the same on both ends.
A good, well equipped(not all are), smithy should put an alignment bar in that will tell him the rings are aligned. A hunk of turned metal that fits in the rings will do the same thing. And as daft as it sounds, so will a long dowel that fits the rings.
Old July 8, 2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Emerson Biggies

Thank you gentlemen!
Old July 10, 2017, 09:27 AM   #5
tango1niner

For a rough check hold a good straight edge or rod in one side of the dovetail and sight along it checking the relationship of straight edge to barrel. Should give you an idea of an alignment issue.

"or"

put a small " FLAT " block on the receiver and a round rod in the dovetail. Measure from top of block to edge of rod. Repeat on other side. Look for discrepancies in the measurement.