The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 26, 2017, 11:03 PM   #51
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Push it around 1100-1300 fps and it's fun in a different way- ya get satisfying power without being punishing.
Which is what the famous "Ruger Only" loads deliver.

Just be sure to understand that "Ruger Only" loads were developed back when there was only ONE Ruger gun in .45 Colt. Today, there are more than one Ruger .45 Colt, and not all are suitable for the "Ruger Only" level loads.
Old July 26, 2017, 11:33 PM   #52
the possum

Yeah, that's kinda the point. If ya don't wanna shoot a steady diet of heavy .454's, just think of the gun as a really, really strong .45 Colt, that ya don't have to worry about blowing up or wearing out with those Ruger Only Colt loads.

The main reason I like loads in that range is not because of recoil, but rather cost. Full power loads need relatively expensive bullets to take the pressure (I don't cast my own, and don't plan to unless I get desperate). Drop the pressure levels down into hot .45 Colt range though, and you can use cheap bulk cast bullets. They also only use half as much powder.
Old July 28, 2017, 08:28 PM   #53
4V50 Gary
Staff

Retiree here. I don't need to prove anything and don't enjoy the recoil of anything greater than 44 Mag. Mel Tappan developed carpal tunnnel from a lifetime of shooting magnums. I don't need to go down that path.