The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 30, 2016, 05:47 PM   #1
Road_Clam

Took a High Power clinic , my takeway

So today I enrolled in a local gun clubs High Power instructional clinic. Couldn't have picked a more perfect spring day to shoot, sun and clouds 60F ad just a very slight breeze. The first half of the day was positional instructional lecture and I took a lot of notes. Great instructors detailing and showing us the do's and don't and why. This is the things you just can't learn by reading on the internet. As for my shooting i't work in progress. I shot a 259-3X. I had to take quite a few "missed" shots as I was purposly shooting slowly in the rapids, and a few missed shots simply from arm fatigue. I had a fantastic instructor and he stressed over and over "shoot patiently for a quality score, not the spray and pray". As I expected my very poor eyes are holding me back. I used the loaner match aperture iron sighted AR and I struggled with identifying the black bull especially when I started sweating. I was there not for score but for the instruction and I definitely learned a lot. While i'm frustrated that I didn't do great I had understand that I was using unfamiliar equipment, in unfamiliar and uncomfortable shooting positions , and with bad eyes. I definitely shoot more comfortable with my rifle as it's fitted with a 1-4X optic and a sling that fits me perfect. Bottom line I had fun, learned a lot and look forward to getting into HP and becoming more "at one" with the rifle. Everyone seems to dislike the off hand relay but oddly that seems the relay I like best. My off hand NPA seemed to come easy where prone and sitting I struggled a lot to gain my NPA. The sitting relay really beat my body up as my back did NOT like bending way foward getting up on the sight but i'm sure with practice my muscles will stretch out.

Last edited by Road_Clam; April 30, 2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old May 1, 2016, 02:48 AM   #2
gyvel

I thought this was going to be a thread about shooting the Browning High Power in competition.
SIFE
Old May 1, 2016, 06:11 AM   #3
Jimro

Excellent write up!

Now that Optics have been allowed for Service Rifle (both CMP and NRA) you should be able to use that 1-4 optic as long as the objective bell diameter is below 32mm. That should help you not have to focus on position and irons at the same time.

Good luck in competition!

Jimro
Old May 1, 2016, 06:53 AM   #4
Road_Clam

Thanks Jimro,
I built a WOA match service rifle last september with the "hope" that the proposed CMP optics rule would fly. I can shoot irons "ok" at 200 and 300, but 500 and 600 is no go. I can't define my lane # board. I was very pleased with myself at my clinic for the fact I never cross shot another target. There was lots of cross shooting going on other lanes. The shooter I scored for shot the offhand string starting 10-10-10-X-M-M (the M were both cross fires). The shooter kept moving his feet way out of position after each shot, this, our instructor commented is a BIG no-no. "ONCE YOUR NPA IS ESTABLISHED, DO NOT MOVE YOUR FEET POSITION!"
It was very helpful to not only receive instruction on what I was doing wrong, but to listen and learn from what the other shooters were doing wrong. All in all I think I have the potential to become a good shooter. I frequently shoot at 600 yards and my focus this year is practicing sling prone service rifle ! I'm working up some 80 grain Nosler CC loads as we speak. The 80's are the recommended bullet for 600 yard prone.
Old May 1, 2016, 07:38 AM   #5
4EVERM-14

Nice report. Getting a good start like that can be encouraging as it is difficult to get into XTC without help. I wish I could have had something like that when I started.
Be sure to keep an accurate data book. It's really a diary for the things you find important. Sight setting,conditions,ammo details ,etc. It can also be a nice memory when you look back on good days.

Keep shooting
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old May 1, 2016, 08:31 AM   #6
Jimro

Quote:
I frequently shoot at 600 yards and my focus this year is practicing sling prone service rifle ! I'm working up some 80 grain Nosler CC loads as we speak. The 80's are the recommended bullet for 600 yard prone.
80gr Nosler CC's will be fine. If you can't get them to shoot tight try Hornady 75 and 80gr Amax bullets. They have a different ogive profile so they will likely need a different seating depth for max accuracy.

Make sure you get an air rifle to practice standing with in the off season

Jimro