The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 4, 2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Scimmia

Barrel band removal

I've got a Winchester Model 52 from 1935 that needs some cleaning up. It has surface rust spotted across most of the metal and had some mildew on the stock.

In disassembling it, the barrel band won't move. Yes, the cross bolt has been removed. I know it just needs to slide forward, but I'm hoping someone has some tips for me to do this without damaging things; I put a screwdriver on it and hit it with the heal of my hand and it doesn't even budge.

Thanks.
Old December 4, 2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Blacktimberwolf

Use a stick of brass or copper, some material softer than steel, knock softly on it with a rubber hammer, some hits on the left, some on the right side and so on.
Never use a srewdriver or you scratch the band and damage it.
Old December 4, 2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If it's seized, you might have to put some penetrating oil on it for it to break loose. Just let it sit for a few hours to let the oil work, then give it a try. I'd try to use a nylon or brass punch, etc, to keep from scuffing anything, and use about a 4-6 oz. ball pein hammer behind that, as you may have to tap it loose with the punch.
Old December 4, 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

If that is the target rifle, the band is attached to the adjusting screw in the stock, so beating on the band won't work. Remove the screw (it is crossways) and then the band should come up with the barrel when the barrel is removed.

Jim
Old December 4, 2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Scimmia

Alright, I'll get the penetrating oil out and give it a shot with a brass punch. Thanks, I've never had one this tight before.

@James K, yes, it's a target rifle, but it has a solid band completely around the stock and barrel, it's not just going to come up with the barrel. The early Model 52s had this, not the later ones. Early on, they were trying to make it look more "military" to try to sell it to the government as a trainer.
Old December 5, 2013, 12:06 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

OK, good, and you are correct.

Jim