The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 22, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1
baddarryl

Marlin 981T trigger upgrade issues.

Hi all. I ordered an aftermarket trigger that included the trigger, weight of pull and sear adjustment screws. It all dropped right in and has made the trigger amazing, but it seems to interfere with my safety function. If I back the weight of pull spring almost all the way out the safety appears to do what it should outside of the stock. However when I put the action in the stock the safety gets bound up and becomes very difficult to engage or does not work at all. The after market uses a different method to catch the safety with a nipple of the side of the trigger to stop at the safety. I think this added with is what may be the culprit. Opinions? Experience?

Fire:

Safe:

Stock opening:

The notch on the bottom of the pic is where the safety rides.
Stock trigger:

See how there is no nipple on the side of the stock trigger?

I have chosen not to include the name of the company I got this from until I hear from them and it is the weekend. Thank you.

Last edited by baddarryl; September 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old September 22, 2013, 02:01 PM   #2
baddarryl

As an addition, as wondering about if it now rubs on the stock, the nipple on the safety is no wider than the pin that holds the trigger.
Old September 23, 2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Scorch

Get some inletting black, cover the trigger with it, then put the action into the stock. Anywhere it touches will leave a mark you can scrape off.
Old December 6, 2013, 11:55 AM   #4
shadjodi

Just installed mine

I just installed a new Rifle Basix trigger in my 981T. Save the swearing over a flying e-clip or two, it was a painless drop in ordeal. I had some minor fitting with my safety to get the take-up adjustment set where I want it. Who ever tries this upgrade will see how that works. This has made a nice shooting rifle just that much better.
Old December 6, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
baddarryl

E clip! That's funny, do did have to go buy one as it is in my garage somewhere! All I had to do was dremel the post so it could clear the safety enough for the safety to engage. Literally took 5 minutes. Be careful though as I cross threaded the hole for the stock screws and had to re tap it. Ooops!

The guy at Rifle Basix was very helpful and told me that on some of these cheap rifles that had to be done due to variances. Makes sense I guess. He also told me that if I screwed up the trigger he would send me a replacement. Can't beat that. As far as the trigger? Best one in my safe now! No longer feels like a cheap rifle!

Last edited by baddarryl; December 6, 2013 at 05:27 PM.