The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 24, 2017, 03:36 PM   #1
cmdc

Red dot suggestions needed

I know that Aimpoint is the Gold Standard in red dots, and I have several, but I’m looking for a couple to put on some inexpensive builds/rifles
I have. I’ve been looking at the SIG Romeo series and Primary Arms and would like suggestions/opinions or other recommendations.

Thanks
Old November 24, 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
turtlehead

I believe the PA's and Romeos are both made by Holosun. So any of those three should be good. Find the one with best warranty.
Old November 24, 2017, 04:08 PM   #3
turtlehead

I've been using the Gen 1 PA for 5 years. Good dot.
Old November 24, 2017, 04:20 PM   #4
marine6680

The new PA Gen 2 advanced red dot or the Romeo 5 are around the $150 price point right now.

If they have not sold out, PA had their Gen 2 on sale for $70, as a factory defect. They messed up the screw hole locations for the mount, so they only work with the mounts they include with it. Still a good deal, if you don't plan on using aftermarket mounts.

Last edited by marine6680; November 24, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old November 24, 2017, 04:21 PM   #5
CDR_Glock

Primary Arms Advanced Microdot is what I use. Works extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old November 24, 2017, 08:38 PM   #6
DMK

I have a few Aimpoints, but I'm also pretty impressed with the Primary Arms MD-ADS. It has a 50,000 hour battery life. That's continually on for 5 years on the middle setting.

Apparently, it's pretty tough too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om4jA00lxfg
Old November 25, 2017, 07:20 AM   #7
brasscollector

I will second, third or fourth the Primary Arms red dots. The gen1s come with a lifetime warranty and 50K hour battery life. Auto on/off so it's ready to go as soon as you pick it up. Get a riser.
Old November 25, 2017, 09:08 AM   #8
cmdc

Well then...it looks like I’m getting a PA MD-ADS. I missed out on the blems, though. I ordered it and the lower 1/3 co-witness mount for an upper with A2 FSB.

Thanks to all for the input.
Old November 25, 2017, 09:37 AM   #9
ms6852

Based on personal experience I can only recommend the vortex spitfire. I have the prism in 3X but is also made in 1X. Very sturdy and well built.
Old November 25, 2017, 10:04 AM   #10
Chipperman

Vortex Strikefire II
Excellent red dot for the price.
I have two
Old November 25, 2017, 03:17 PM   #11
marine6680

Only the Gen 2 Primary Arms Advanced Red dot sight has the lifetime warranty.

The Gen 1 is 3 years.
Old November 25, 2017, 04:01 PM   #12
Uncle Malice

I've got the first gen PA red dot that's got the side turning selector, similar to the TRS-25. Got thousands of rounds through it on my DDM4. I've been so impressed with it that I picked up the newer model of the PA dot with the buttons on top for brightness selection and the 50k hour battery life when I built my new 10.5" pistol... the glass is significantly better than the early model. The old one is notably more "blue" in the glass where the new one is much more clear. I really like having the buttons for brightness adjustment instead of the turret style. I would recommend that one a lot.

I would also recommend the Vortex SPARC. They normally run about $199, but PSA has had them on Black Friday sale with a code to get it for like $129 or so. They don't have the 50k hour battery life, but they do have the Vortex warranty, which is similar to ESEE knives - no questions asked, lifetime warranty. Throw it out in traffic. Shoot it with a shotgun. Take a blow torch to it and cut it in half.... they will replace it.

Primary arms also has a great warranty and customer service, but they aren't THAT blatant about it. I wouldn't worry either way, and I obviously don't, since I have the PA's, not the Vortex... but I was tempted with the BF pricing on the SPARC.

I did recently upgrade my DDM4 with an EOTech EXPS2-0 for a stellar price($350), so the old gen 1 PA red dot has been moved to a backup pistol that was previously running the gen 2 Lucid HD7 - which I will say is also a nice optic. I like that it has 4 reticle choices and is quite tough. My only complaint about the Lucid is that it's larger, design-wise it's sort of like an ACOG in appearance, and has some weight to go with it.

So yeah, my recommendation is the 50k hour Primary Arms red dot. I also recommend spending a little extra money and getting a nice mount - American Defense or Geissele. You'll appreciate the difference over the cheap chinese mount that you can get with it for like $25 bucks. I got that on my first one and decided to spend the money with the second. It's a night and day difference.
Old November 25, 2017, 04:06 PM   #13
rickyrick

I like PA red dots, I bought a second after trying out the first, the only time I’ve ever bought a duplicate rifle sight of any kind.
Old November 25, 2017, 09:41 PM   #14
Tacticool1976

i have a Lucid HD7 on my Windham, and a Vortex Strikefire II on my Cobalt Kinetics... both are solid and good RD's.. weight wise probably not optimal vs something like a Holosun or something similar.
Old November 26, 2017, 01:01 AM   #15
brycewise

I have the Sig Romeo 5 I got it for a good price and its worked very well for me but I would look at Holosun too. I really like the Sig Romeo I just like the ACSS and circle dot reticle offered by holosun better. Both are "Mid" grade sights but they are durable and will survive 90 percent of the abuse an aimpoint will.

Last edited by brycewise; November 26, 2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old November 26, 2017, 10:25 AM   #16
cmdc

This is good information. I had no idea the PAs were so highly regarded. As well as the SIGs, etc.

I have several ARs, including Knights Armament SR15, DDM4v11LW as well as a bunch of lower-end ones. At the risk of being jeered, I will tell you that I picked up a Del-Ton mid length lightweight upper for cheap to put on a lower that I had, and was looking for a good cheaper red dot.
Old November 26, 2017, 11:47 AM   #17
Uncle Malice

I don't see anything wrong with picking up budget guns to have fun with when you already have at least one quality gun. For example, I just picked up a PSA AK-47 for under $550 to play with. Will it be replacing my Arsenal SGL21? Absolutely not... but it's surprisingly nice for the money. I like trying out budget stuff to see just how close they can get to the 'good stuff' - after buying the good stuff. I'm often pleasantly surprised.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:30 PM   #18
Metal god

I bought the Primary Arms Advanced micro Red dot sight after my Vortex Strikefire took a dump . That's after my Vortex crossfire took a dump . Both sent back and replaced no questions asked . But after the only two Vortex products I've ever owned needed to be sent back I decided to go with a different manufacture . The new Strikefire has a pretty big starburst/cluster for a dot . I've not even put it on anything . It's just sitting in it's box .

I've not used the PA much to date but did have a huge POI shift from the first time out to the second ( 3" high at 50yds ) which concerns me . Not sure what that was but left it alone after rezeroing to test next time out .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 26, 2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old November 26, 2017, 01:50 PM   #19
brycewise

Quote:
This is good information. I had no idea the PAs were so highly regarded. As well as the SIGs, etc.
Here is a "Torture" test I came across for the Sig Romeo 5 when Deciding on a red dot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuq_N129SAI&t=40s

The Holosun, and primary arms tests are about the same... if deciding between the three durability and size is pretty much the same, and its more a question of specific features and price...Optics Planet was running a sale on the Sig at the time I purchased so I went with it.. but like I said earlier... I would have rather had the reticle of the Holosun, but the Sig has done everything I have needed it to do.... and well... I just feel better because it says "SIG SAUER" vs. "Holosun" on it

Last edited by brycewise; November 26, 2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old November 26, 2017, 04:48 PM   #20
Viper225

I have an UltraDot 6 on one of my AR15's. I like it very well. Made in Japan.
It has multiple reticles. UltraDot's/MatchDot's have a great reputation for not breaking.
Very good battery life. Takes common watch batteries.
It also has an exposed functional Elevation Knob that works.
I would get another one without hesitation.

I handgun hunt, and have 4 other UltraDot's/MatchDot's on hard kicking handguns such as my 357 Maximum Contender and 480 Super RedHawk. No problems with any of them.

Bob
Old November 27, 2017, 11:07 AM   #21
Chainsaw.

I have two holosuns, one an aimpoint type reddot, the other a holographic type, I am wholey pleased with both.
Old November 30, 2017, 10:00 AM   #22
Bamashooter

I have an EOTech 512 thats been on one of my carbines for years and Ive seen them for a lot less than I paid for mine lately. My newest is the Vortex Strike Fire II and in my opinion its a great sight. I will probably buy the Sig Romeo for my brother for Christmas. He needs a new one for his carbine. Lots of decent red dot sights out there right now at good prices.
Old November 30, 2017, 11:23 PM   #23
mellow_c

If your looking for affordable quality, id go for an EoTech 512. They are still having rebates on them, I think?
After the $75 rebate and sale prices from places like Grabagun.com you can get one in the neighborhood of $280 I believe.
Old December 1, 2017, 09:15 AM   #24
G.barnes

I don't believe the sig red dots have a very good battery life. A couple months ago I almost bought one. Went to our newest gun store that had been open about 6 months, they are a major sig seller. Looked at the 3,4,and 5 they had setup on guns. All 3 had dead batteries even with the auto shutoff feature. Ended up getting a used aimpoint pro for 300 hundred offline and the battery will last for a couple years being left on constantly