The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 11, 2018, 06:52 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Moms Demand Action Tell Upstate NY Dem to Keep Quiet on AWB

http://freebeacon.com/politics/new-y...-say-publicly/

Tedra Cobb, a candidate in New York, was caught on tape saying she supports a gun ban; but that Moms Demand Action told her to keep quiet about it or she’d lose her race.

Considering Ms. Cobb is in NY, which already has one of the most draconian gun bans on semi-autos in the U.S., I can only imagine what her “new and improved” gun ban would look like.
Old July 11, 2018, 07:36 AM   #2
thallub

The good news is that MS Cobb stands a snowballs chance in hades of being elected:

https://ballotpedia.org/New_York%27s...election,_2018
Old July 11, 2018, 12:09 PM   #3
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
Considering Ms. Cobb is in NY, which already has one of the most draconian gun bans on semi-autos in the U.S., I can only imagine what her “new and improved” gun ban would look like.

If she is from upstate N.Y., there may be more of a pro-gun movement/support there than, say NYC.
Old July 11, 2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Polinese

The tumor that is in NYC has a majority of uneducated voters but geographically speaking most of New York is a red state.
Old July 11, 2018, 02:02 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Yes, there is a HUGE difference between NY City and NY State. She represents NONE of the counties of NY City which has the draconian gun laws.
Old July 11, 2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

The urban county/ non urban county opinion difference occurs in many states. The split is threat to gun rights every where as the population difference can lead a state to bans which most of the counties oppose.
Old July 11, 2018, 05:08 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Yes, there is a HUGE difference between NY City and NY State. She represents NONE of the counties of NY City which has the draconian gun laws.
Regardless of whom she represents, the draconian gun laws are found in counties outside of NYC.
NY state is a patchwork of counties with different levels of pro- and anti-gun laws on the books and opinions in places of power.
The overall atmosphere may be much better outside of NYC, but it is still hit-and-miss and pretty much a county-by-county subject.

I've lived there. You can't just draw a circle around NYC (and Albany) and say, "Everything on the outside is pro-gun!"
Old July 11, 2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

Cuomo’s SAFE Act is draconian and statewide. If that ban doesn’t satisfy her, I’d hate to see the one that does.
Old July 12, 2018, 11:15 AM   #9
Polinese

The SAFE act is rarely enforced on account of 1. Most cops not knowing the actual laws and 2. The ones that do not caring enough to enforce it as long as there isn't somethign else going on i.e. getting drunk and brandishing your gun in a bar/menacing someone etc.
Old July 12, 2018, 01:06 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
I've lived there. You can't just draw a circle around NYC (and Albany) and say, "Everything on the outside is pro-gun!"
Me too, 41 years, unfortunately.

If you include Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester and Ithaca/Tompkins County (which is often referred to as "The San Francisco of the East"), you can almost say that.

Unfortunately, along with NYC those areas encompass probably 95% of the states population in about 5% of it's geographic area.

The particular area in question (the Northeast quadrant, more or less) is mostly VERY rural but based on governor election results is likely a mixed bag on firearms. The 3 extreme north east counties all went (barely) for the D, all the rest went (barely) R.

I do love the "Shhh. Don't talk about that!" aspect of politics, by both parties. What does it say about us, that the candidates and their supporters know they can't win if they're honest? What does it say about us, that we're dumb enough to keep electing known liars participating in a known dishonest process?
Old July 13, 2018, 09:26 AM   #11
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
I do love the "Shhh. Don't talk about that!" aspect of politics, by both parties. What does it say about us, that the candidates and their supporters know they can't win if they're honest? What does it say about us, that we're dumb enough to keep electing known liars participating in a known dishonest process?
Although everyone has political representatives, if they don't represent your interests and there aren't any other ones that do, I'd skip the whole voting thing altogether. Better not to vote than vote for someone who has the moral compass of a mass murderer.
Old July 13, 2018, 04:50 PM   #12
DaleA

Quote:
What does it say about us, that we're dumb enough to keep electing known liars participating in a known dishonest process?
You are correct sir and the fact is disheartening.

That said I actually HAVE voted my conscious on occasion casting my ballot for folk that had absolutely no chance of winning and several years ago one of them won! (Jessie Ventura.) I guess we should just keep trying because giving up would be worse.
Old July 13, 2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's not wander into general politics.
Old July 13, 2018, 10:00 PM   #14
LogicMan

The area of Upstate NY I live in, between Rochester and Buffalo, is VERY conservative, maybe one of the most conservative in the country. So being pro-gun around here is generally a good thing. This state has some horribly draconian regulations/laws for getting a handgun but for a long gun, the regulations are actually pretty lenient. You just go to the gun store, go through the background check, buy the gun and that's that. There is no waiting period (like in mostly pro-gun Florida now!), I don't think the age limit is at 21 like in Florida now either, and I am not sure about the extreme protection orders. The major sticking points here are the magazine capacity limitation, assault weapons ban ("SAFE Act"), and crazy handgun regulations. As part of the SAFE Act, they also ended all mail-order ammunition sales and were going to make it where all ammunition purchases required a background check too, but thus far, they haven't been able to create such a background check system (apparently doing so is insanely complicated).

We can still own AR-15s, but they are of the Frankengun variety.
Old July 14, 2018, 01:44 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

I grew up in "upstate" NY, and for those of us living there, that didn't mean anything in the west, it meant north of Saratoga!

Got my NY State pistol permit at age 18. (that's right, 18, NOT 21)

When I went into the Army in 75 there were 3 gunshops, 2 gunsmiths, and numerous sporting goods stores and dept stores that sold guns, within bicycle distance of my home

When I returned to NY in 2003, I had to drive 80 miles to find a dealer so I could get my late father's pistols shipped to a dealer in my home state.

The rural areas of NY are still pretty pro-gun and pro-hunting. The urban/metro areas are the exact opposite. And they have the numbers of votes to rule everyone.
Old July 14, 2018, 01:52 PM   #16
TXAZ

Anyone think that hypocrisy by a politician should be a very serious or capital offense?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 15, 2018, 12:20 AM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Expecting honesty from a politician? What's next, charity from a banker??