The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2018, 09:24 AM   #26
Ricklin

Glock for the night sights

I will get around to doing night sights on my Gen 3 G19. So far my shopping has indicated that Glock is the best to purchase from, price wise.

Now that I have a sight pusher I won't need to send them my slide. Thanks to the good folks at Defcad.
While the files from these folks are fun the most useful item for me so far is the sight pusher. I printed mine out of PLA, and it seems to be plenty strong. Now that I have a better handle on printing ABS I'll print another one should this one not prove durable.
Old September 11, 2018, 09:33 AM   #27
Fishbed77

Quote:
Now that I have a sight pusher I won't need to send them my slide. Thanks to the good folks at Defcad.
A sight pusher isn't needed to install Glock sights.

A vice, small hammer, and brass punch will work just fine for the rear sight. You will need the proper nut driver to install the front sight (there are cheap options on Amazon and Ebay).

Mrgunsandgear has a good Glock sight installation video on Youtube.
Old September 11, 2018, 09:58 AM   #28
AK103K

The sight tool makes the job much easier, limits the risk to the vial in night sights, and lets you make fine adjustments when zeroing (you can zero without removing the slide from the gun too). Well worth the money, especially if you have more than one gun.

I have a MGW tool for my Glock's, and had one for my SIG's, and with both, pretty much paid for them with the money I got selling the old night sights I removed on EBay. So they can basically pay for themselves too.
Old September 11, 2018, 10:12 AM   #29
2damnold4this

I had a gen 3 G17 and it was a fine full sized auto loader. I do like the Ameriglo pro I dot sights.
Old September 11, 2018, 02:51 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

G17 G4 - too big for EDC, IMHO but I love to shoot it. My go to IDPA gun. I do shoot the smaller Glocks that I carry also.
Old September 12, 2018, 06:11 PM   #31
kramden

I have a Gen III Glock 17. One of my favorites.
Old September 22, 2018, 07:39 PM   #32
Sneakerh3ad

a must have for any gun collector. I try to practice with the 17 as much as possible.
Old September 22, 2018, 08:30 PM   #33
FITASC

Mine is an older Gen 2 (although 9mm, it was when 40S&W was just coming to market to give you an idea) and it has never failed to fire anything I fed it from factory to reloads. Is it the most accurate Bullseye pistol ever made? Absolutely not. Is it totally reliable and boring in that regard? Absolutely yes.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 23, 2018, 12:52 PM   #34
dgludwig

Quote:
The sight tool makes the job much easier, limits the risk to the vial in night sights, and lets you make fine adjustments when zeroing (you can zero without removing the slide from the gun too). Well worth the money, especially if you have more than one gun.
Once you break one of the expensive to replace tritium capsules on a typical night sight whilst changing the windage direction with a hammer and brass drifting punch, you'll appreciate the wisdom of AK103K's argument.
Old September 23, 2018, 01:18 PM   #35
FAS1

I have a Gen2 that I purchased new w/trijicon night sites. It's a great HD gun and I shot a lot of steel matches with it initially so that I would become very confident with it. It's been as close to 100 % reliable as you could get, even with my light hand loads for competition.

It is still my dedicated HD gun.

Old September 23, 2018, 01:42 PM   #36
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Once you break one of the expensive to replace tritium capsules on a typical night sight whilst changing the windage direction with a hammer and brass drifting punch, you'll appreciate the wisdom of AK103K's argument.
In addition to the loss in terms of property, inhaling tritium isn't something you want to do. It's perfectly safe in the vials, and even as long as it stays outside your body since the radioactive particles it emits can't penetrate the skin. But once it is inhaled it is carcinogenic.
Old September 23, 2018, 04:41 PM   #37
Model12Win

Like I said I’d be sticking with Glock steelies. No tritium required, I’ve had my fun with nighters and find them an expensive, fragile, and largely useless gimmick. I’ll take the rugged simplicity and durability of the steel Glock sights thank you, and a weapons light on the gun.
Old September 23, 2018, 05:09 PM   #38
AK103K

Ive been using night sights on most of my pistols for about 25 years now. In all that time and about 35 some odd sets, I think Ive had one vial fail, and that was on a gun that was used hard.

I havent found them to be fragile, especaily compared to other things. At least those of mine that get used regularly, have all stood up to constant use, and with a couple of guns, heavy use, and they have certainly been more robust than the fiber optic type Ive tried.

Price wise, They really arent all that much more expensive than a good set of steel sights, especially if you shop around. So far, I usually get about half of what a new set go for selling the old sets on EBay. Paid for my sight tools that way, and recouped some of the money spent on new sets.

Gimmick they arent, or at least I havent found them to be. The give you a 24 hour sight, in any light and against any background. They arent just for "night".
Old September 23, 2018, 05:38 PM   #39
tallball

Mine is a police trade-in. I don't even know what generation it is. It goes bang every time and I shoot it maybe a little above average for a full-sized service pistol. It's just a range toy. It looks like it was holstered and unholstered a whole lot of times, and the sights are still okay, so I'm not going to worry about them.

If you want one, get it. Why wouldn't you? They're good solid pistols.
Old September 23, 2018, 06:25 PM   #40
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Like I said I’d be sticking with Glock steelies. No tritium required, I’ve had my fun with nighters and find them an expensive, fragile, and largely useless gimmick. I’ll take the rugged simplicity and durability of the steel Glock sights thank you, and a weapons light on the gun.
I've had idk how many pairs of night sights. None of them were what I'd call fragile, and I'm not exactly easy on my things. The last pair I bought was $80 for the set. That isn't very expensive, especially when I spend as much as I do on ammo. I'm also missing how they aren't "simple".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 23, 2018, 08:03 PM   #41
Buckeye!

I have a Glock 17 LAV .. Im a happy 17 owner

Last edited by Buckeye!; September 23, 2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old September 24, 2018, 02:29 PM   #42
TailGator

Be sure it fits your hand well before you write the check. Some combination of the back strap hump and the spacing of the finger grooves makes the 17 a bit awkward feeling to me. The 19 sits in my hand better, and the 26 best, curled pinky and all.

Nothing wrong with changing the front sight and leaving the rear as is, either, in my opinion. The front sight on my 26 got dinged in short order and was replaced, but the rear sight is still original and doing fine.
Old September 24, 2018, 04:46 PM   #43
Glenn E. Meyer

There are waves of new Glock variants coming up to confuse and delight you.

Scroll through https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/

for info and videos. I don't know the guy, just FYI.
Old September 25, 2018, 08:44 AM   #44
Fishbed77

Quote:
There are waves of new Glock variants coming up to confuse and delight you.
I wonder how many shooters are going to end up with the wrong ammo for their Glock 45.
Old September 25, 2018, 09:11 AM   #45
Glenn E. Meyer

I once asked an officer carrying a Glock if it was a 22 as that dept. got new guns. He was incensed and said it was a 40.

Oh, well. Glock is heading for the Golden Days of SW with variants galore.
Old September 25, 2018, 01:19 PM   #46
Fishbed77

Quote:
No tritium required, I’ve had my fun with nighters and find them an expensive, fragile, and largely useless gimmick.
A set of OEM Glock night sights runs about $60 - less than non-illuminated sights for many pistols.

I've never had a set break. Even if a tritium vial were to break, you'd still have the functionality of non-illuminated sights.