The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Prof Young

Glock 42 - Beretta Pico . . . Hmmmmm . . . .

So I know that there are a bazillion factors and opinions about this kind of thing, and it's all relative . . . Nonetheless I'm thinking about replacing my pocket carry gun, a Beretta Pico with a Glock 42. Not sure yet. Range didn't have a 42 I could rent to try out. Am thinking this because while an Okay gun, the pico is kind of sloppy. There is space (tiny space) between the slide and the body. You can literally compress it closed. Gun still shoots just fine, so . . . . ?

Talk to me.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old September 18, 2018, 04:59 AM   #2
elde

What are you calling "the body"? Are you meaning the frame? If so, take another look at the 42....you can see plenty of light between the frame & slide.
Old September 18, 2018, 09:48 AM   #3
lee n. field

Yep, that's normal for a lot of automatics. As long as it functions, it's not a problem.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 18, 2018, 09:57 AM   #4
74A95

If the gun shoots fine and is reliable, you don't have a problem that needs to be fixed.
Old September 18, 2018, 10:12 AM   #5
MarkCO

For pocket carry, I look at three things.

1. It is light, 2. Can I shoot it reasonably well and 3. Is it 100% reliable, even if filled with dust, dirt and lint. If you have a sample that meets those criteria for you, and the mags and ammo and such, I see no reason to change. My "4th" criteria is cost, which moves one of my 3 pocket carry 9mms to the top of my list. I'd rather be without (or have to replace) a $250 pistol than a $600 pistol, provided 1-3 are fully satisfied.
Old September 18, 2018, 02:53 PM   #6
TailGator

If you haven't had your hands on a G42 yet, you will see that it is a bit bigger than the Pico. It doesn't really work as a pocket pistol for me. It does for some people.

And the comments above about function reflect my thinking, as well. You might be looking for a problem that isn't there.
Old September 18, 2018, 04:24 PM   #7
reteach

I have a Glock 42 that I carry in my pocket and it's great and I have urged friends to get one for themselves, but not when they already had something that worked for them. I say ditto to what others have said - if your Pico is functioning well, there is no point trading.

Now, if you're just looking for an excuse to try a new gun, then by all means do it. A new gun is fun.
Old September 18, 2018, 05:55 PM   #8
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young:
There is space (tiny space) between the slide and the body.
With a striker-fired pistol, you need to see a little daylight between the slide and the frame for the striker engagement to function properly. As stated earlier, if that Pico is otherwise functioning properly, you don’t have anything to worry about with this.
Old September 19, 2018, 08:28 PM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

I am a total Pico Fanboy. Own two of them. Little suckers run like crazy and mild. If you just want a bigger gun, there are many out there. I would suggest you go to genitron.com and go from there.
By the way, there is no space in either of my Pico's. Nor any of the others I have seen at my club. Maybe you changed grips and did not seat it Properly. The Pico is as tight as any gun I have ever owned. Solid.
The G42 is larger, just not for me, since I own a micro 9mm and a Ruger LCR9mm for winter when I move up to a bigger size. Even then the Pico still tags along as a backup.
Old September 19, 2018, 08:34 PM   #10
Prof Young

Okay . . . and thanks!

Gotta love this forum.

When a bunch of guys tell you that the gun you have is fine . . .you suddenly realize maybe you just have a hankering for a new gun. Which I take as a good thing.

I do have the laser body installed on my pico. May not have trigger mechanism seated at tightly as it could be. Will take a look.

By the way laser on that sucker is not very high quality. Gets dirty and blurry fast. On/switch is also starting to malfunction. But at the distances the pico is designed for . . . who needs a laser.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old September 22, 2018, 10:15 AM   #11
Carl the Floor Walker

I have have been a fan of any laser. Had one when they first came out, but fast became a toy for my Dog to chase the beam around. The Pico has wonderful sights and easy to change out to night sights which I believe all carry guns should have. And I have been a dedicated point and shoot for decades.
The Glock is a very nice gun. But IMO two different animals. Bigger for sure. Maybe it suites you better. That is fine.

Old September 23, 2018, 05:46 PM   #12
tallball

I don't consider the G42 to be an actual pocket pistol. A Pico or an LCP or a P3AT? Yes. A G42? No. I have handled them. If they shoot as well as my other Glocks, then they're fine pistols. But they're significantly larger than the "micro 380's".

If you're not liking your Pico so much... I got one recently. I haven't shot it yet (too much rain), but as far as ergonomics and controls go, I prefer my LCP and P3AT. If you want a different "micro 380", I would try one of those. The sights aren't as good, but I like the triggers better and there is a little more space on the grip for your ring finger.
Old September 23, 2018, 06:17 PM   #13
OhioGuy

I've shot both. The G42 is a lot bigger than the Pico. Also MUCH easier for me to control and manipulate. I find true Pocket guns so hard to shoot well, I've found ways around needing a gun that Small.
Old September 23, 2018, 07:52 PM   #14
elde

I can legally carry a gun @ work. From a pocket carry standpoint I can choose from a Pico, 42, Rohrbaugh, 938, Seecamp, CM9 and others. The gun absolutely cannot print. Of those mentioned, the Pico is easy to totally conceal, accurate (within reason) and reliable. It's my personal choice.

Last edited by elde; September 23, 2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old September 24, 2018, 07:39 PM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

For someone that has two Pico's and shot thousands of rounds, I can work the controls very well, and shoot it confidently at fast action shooting. And I have a large hand wear a extra large glove.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; September 24, 2018 at 08:03 PM.