The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
GeeRawkz

Conceal Carry G17

How's everyone doing? Was trying numerous holsters with my g17 and finally found one that I love to use to conceal carry my g17. Grant it I know it is not the best ccw due to the size but sometimes I like to change it up. Typically I carry my ruger sr9c at my hip and sig p238 in my pocket.

Anyways, back on topic, I started researching good mods for glocks that are used for ccw / home defense and was wondering what all of your opinions were. From what I have found, I heard people recommending cutting down the grip to a g19 size making it better for concealing purposes, changing the connector and getting a trigger job. As I said though, I take what everyone says on this forum heavily and would appreciate your insight. Thank you!
Old November 2, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Much easier to change your clothing and as far as it not being the best CCW, I disagree. Accuracy is everything in a carry weapon IMHO. Should you be in a firefight, you will be glad you have that accuracy.

As far as mods I would not cut the grip down.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3
GeeRawkz

Conceal Carry G17

I agree easier to change clothes but only so much I can change in Miami, FL with this heat.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:36 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
Accuracy is everything in a carry weapon IMHO. Should you be in a firefight, you will be glad you have that accuracy.
I'd much rather use a Glock 19 myself. I've never found it to be lacking in the "accuracy" department, especially to a slight addition of barrel length and sight radius the Glock 17 buys you.

If you want a Glock 19, get a Glock 19. I wouldn't advise cutting it down.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 2, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5
GeeRawkz

Conceal Carry G17

Don't want a glock 19 love my glock 17 for carrying purposes. Was just curious as to any mods people recommend to have done to it. The g17 was my first gone that I got for a killer deal that I simply could not pass up.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:52 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
Don't want a glock 19 love my glock 17 for carrying purposes.
If you love it for carrying, why do you want to cut it?
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #7
GeeRawkz

Conceal Carry G17

Not necessarily wanting to do it but heard of people doing it for better conceal purposes
Old November 3, 2013, 12:11 AM   #8
boondocker385

Clothing a good heavy duty belt and a quality holster... that's my ticket for a Model 21....same should work for a 17.
Old November 3, 2013, 10:35 AM   #9
amd6547

Contrary to the naysayers and unimaginative here, shortening the G17 is a popular modification, and one that is not too expensive to have done.
I have seen them shortened even to G26 dimensions.
Likewise the G19 with a G26 sized grip.
One of the best regarded Glock smiths is Cold Bore Customs. They only charge $70 to shorten your grip, and have other similarly reasonably priced grip mods.
Here is a pic of a G17 they did to G19 dimensions with a few other mods.
http://www.coldborecustom.com/DSC_0291.JPG

Last edited by amd6547; November 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old November 3, 2013, 11:09 AM   #10
boondocker385

Most shootings occur at very close ranges. If you really want something that is concealable get something smaller. The shorter sight radius will not be an issue.
Old November 3, 2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Sharpsdressed Man

A Glock 17 should be WAY easier to conceal than a Colt Commander, due to it being lighter. Otherwise, I'd bet they are very close in size. People have been hiding Commanders for about 60 years.
Old November 3, 2013, 03:03 PM   #12
AK103K

I carried a Commander daily for about 25 years, and never had a problem hiding it. I carry my 17 the same way, in the same place, IWB at around 4:00.

The holster Ive come to like a whole lot, is the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Next to that, a Blade Tech IWB. In a warm moist climate, especially if you sweat, Id go with the Blade Tech or something similar.

If you arent willing to be flexible, and dress around the gun, then things probably wont work. If you "want" to carry it, then youll figure it out, and find a way. "Cant", simply means you dont "want" to, and that goes for pretty much everything.
Old November 3, 2013, 03:16 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Conceal a Glock 17....

Rather than spend a lot of $$$ on custom work or upgrades, Id advise buying a Glock gen 03 or gen 04 model 26 9x19mm for regular CCW use.
The small compact Glock 26 can be worn on the ankle, the pocket, the belt/hip, or in a shoulder rig. The 26 can also handle 19 or 17 size 9mm magazines in a pinch.
You can add night sights like Trijicon HDs or the XS Big Dot.
For other Glock items & services see: www.glockstore.com www.glockworx.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.brownells.com www.glockbooks.com .
Old November 3, 2013, 04:03 PM   #14
RBid

Conceal Carry G17

The 19 carries perfectly for me, but the 17 grip pokes out just far enough that I have to push the pistol from 4:00 to 5:00 to hide it. That location change screws with my draw enough to keep me on the 19. I can see why someone with a 17 would cut the grip down. Starting from 0, I'd just grab a 19 and leave it stock except for a sight swap. I'm the first to admit that many pistols have better triggers (1911, PPQ, P99, Ruger SR, etc), but I'll also point out that the stock Glock trigger isn't a challenge to be accurate with.
Old November 3, 2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Dave Chuppa

I carried a Glock 21 for Two months one Summer, just to prove to the guys at the Gun Shop I worked at that I could. T-Shirt is all I need to cover anything. I move it around IWB to keep it comfortable.
Old November 3, 2013, 08:50 PM   #16
baddarryl

For legal reasons I wouldn't modify any gun. A good lawyer can make you look like a gun nut with a modified carry weapon. That includes trigger jobs. I carry a G19 all the time and imagine I could a 17 95% as easily. I do it all through the Carolina summer so that is not an issue.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:03 PM   #17
DT Guy

That old saw...can you cite a case where it's happened? And if your mods make the gun MORE accurate and make you LESS likely to hit an innocent, does that still apply?

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old November 3, 2013, 09:03 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

Add-ons & custom work, carry guns...

I disagree about the legal issues.
In 2013, you can add custom features or modify a carry pistol but you need to be prudent about it & be fully ready to explain your actions in open court or a civil action.
I would not remove or change any safety devices or features. Id also have a professional gunsmith or Glock armorer do any trigger work.

Most prosecutors or lawyers are going to reach for any point they can to get a conviction. A good defense lawyer or legal expert like Massad Ayoob can defend your actions.

Clyde
Old November 3, 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
blackwaterstout

Re: Conceal Carry G17

While it would be nice to be able to carry anywhere I want I have to look at it from the business owners side. Who am I to tell them they have to cater to me. Their business, their rules. If you disagree with it show them by not giving them your money.
Old November 3, 2013, 10:51 PM   #20
stormyone

I cc a Glock 17 in a Supertuck easily.

Mods? To a Glock? Night sights.

Just night sights.
Old November 4, 2013, 11:18 AM   #21
batmann

While a full size Glock is not an ideal CCW, with the right holster it can be concealed.
I carry my Glock 22 in a Galco Model 224B Concealed Carry holster in the winter and it hides well enough with just a sweater on that nobody knows I have it on. Summer? That is another story!
If you really want a slightly smaller Glock, trade or buy a G19 or a G26. I would advise against cutting on your G17. By the time you find someone to do it, buy the shorter mags and then lose value on the pistol itself, you could buy another Glock.
Old November 4, 2013, 02:01 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I agree easier to change clothes but only so much I can change in Miami, FL with this heat.
I'm in Miami, FL too. I always carried full sized. I've only recently started carrying a Glock 19. Before I've carried a SIG P226, SIG P220, Glock 17, 22, 34, M&P-9...you get it. So I never had an issue. I'm thin and 6'2 though. Either AIWB or IWB strong side.

As for cutting the Glock 17 to a 19 size...I have that done to my competitive Glock 17. It fits the Glock 19 magazines flush and everything is stippled. Now for you of course, since it'll be for CCW..Not a bad idea at all if you want to do it. I live in Miami, so PM me. Maybe I can be of further assistance.
Old November 4, 2013, 04:35 PM   #23
obiwan1

I'm also in Miami. Never a problem with Beretta 96, G19 or H&K USPc. Just use decent quality concealment holster AND BELT. If you really have a problem due to body type, try the "Check Six" holster (Blackhawk i think). It's sort of a MOB holster but without the full horizontal positioning. Looks to be about a 35 degree cant. Carried at 5:00 should work well with the G17. Remember the covering garment! Loose, dark and with pattern.
By the way, I just can't see cutting the frame of a G17 to that of a G19. I understand the arguments, but I'd rather have G19 and carry G17 mags as spares. Barrel length/sight radius difference is so small that it makes little practical negative impact.