The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2009, 07:19 PM   #26
Colt1911forever

I do not believe that comment was directed at you but if you want to take offense please do not let stand in your way.

To be honest I think that people suggesting revolvers in semi auto forum is poor forum. It insults the OP. They are here asking what semi should I buy in the semi auto forum. They are not in the revolver forum asking what gun should I buy....

Old June 22, 2009, 07:33 PM   #27
2ndAmendmentForever

I've got an XDm 9mm, which my wife enjoyed shooting not as much as I do....

The handgrip seeing how it carries 19 was just a bit bulky for her hands....

So we went out and got her a S&W 3913 Lady Smith.....

She LOVES IT!
Old June 22, 2009, 07:55 PM   #28
Lost Sheep

Mention of a revolver is not an insult, per se

super_grrrrl78

Some objections have been raised to suggesting a revolver. Have you considered a revolver and rejected it or are you open to the idea?

Lost Sheep

P.S. I am sure that you already know that when you shop around for a gun, you will receive a lot of condescension and unwanted advice. Please do not let us do that to you here.
Old June 22, 2009, 07:56 PM   #29
Laserlips

For home protection?

My choice for a home defense pistol is a 3rd Gen S&W 5906. Equipped with Crimson Trace Lasergrips it's awesome...

I was quite surprised when my wife (65 years old, 5' tall) took a liking to the large all steel 9mm pistol. I knew I would like it, but thought it might be too large and bulky for such a small person.

JoAnn says the 5906 has low recoil, I guess because of the heft of the pistol, and she can place the red dot on a target and nail it 16 times at any reasonable self defense distance.

I do agree with those who suggest your wife pick out whatever SHE likes the best, and is able to shoot well in her self defense. What you or I might prefer means nothing.

She loves shooting it.

So, just another option for your consideration...

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Old June 22, 2009, 07:57 PM   #30
J.T.

A good friend of mine just had his little .45 Taurus (millenium I think) confiscated by his girlfriend. She likes the gun. He has shot countless rounds through it without a hiccup, so it seems to be trustworthy. I have shot the gun and will say that the recoil is a little punchy yet manageable.
Old June 22, 2009, 08:27 PM   #31
Quentin2

super_grrrrl78, a lot of excellent suggestions here and the best is to go shopping and try lots of sizes and shapes. Take your time and don't go cheap, get what you like best. Also, 9mm is an excellent suggestion and I'd hesitate to go smaller. As pointed out before 9mm ammo is cheap and it is the smallest caliber that's considered a reliable manstopper.

Make it a point to try DA/SA and DAO and then Single Action Only like the Hi-Power which like others here I think is after all these years still the best 9mm you can buy. (Colt1911forever put up some pictures of a nice one.) But the HP is hard to find new and expensive plus there are many, many worthy alternatives. If you want a very simple gun that always works definitely look at the various Glock models. And the small and inexpensive Taurus Millennium Pro PT111 DAO is a very simple, reliable gun like a Glock but also has a safety. A DA/SA pistol requires a little more training than a DAO so give a lot of thought to which type of action you like best.

Since you're in the gunshop you might as well look at smaller 38/357 revolvers unless you've definitely ruled them out due to feel or that they hold fewer rounds.

Last edited by Quentin2; June 22, 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old June 22, 2009, 08:36 PM   #32
wnycollector

S&W 39xx single stack 9mm's are excellent shooters and fit well into smaller hands.
Old June 22, 2009, 09:45 PM   #33
Dot_mdb

super_grrrrl78,

My suggestion is based on 35 years of gun ownership and I would suggest the same to man or woman. For home defense the revolver, with 5, 6, or 7 shot cylinder in steel or light weight alloy is going to be the best choice.

The reason is based on simplicity. With a revolver you can load and unload as many times as you want and not have to worry like with a semi about how many times the bullet has hit the feed ramp and caused set back. That means that with a revolver you can unload it and dry fire it or wipe it down and clean it as many times as you want and load it up and you are ready to go without any hassles.

Remember home defense and self-defense are not war. I doubt if anyone can find one instance where a trained person proficient with a revolver failed where using a semi he/she would have succeeded.

The first gun I bought was a semi-auto. The second was a revolver. I have bought many of both types since. I carry a revolver everyday and it is the first gun I would reach for when something goes bump in the night.

Bill
Old June 22, 2009, 09:56 PM   #34
hknut

super_grrrrrl78, first off welcome. Second there are 2 meh=thods I used with my wife to select a pistol. ! I took her to the Puyallup gun show. As a member she can handle as many difrent guns as she wants to. I wrote down the guns she liked then we went to the gun shop and used the rental guns to she what she liked. My wife didn't want a revolver at all. I let her choose the gun she liked best. The next Puyallup show is in July. You can try rental guns at Wades in Bellevue. PM me if you want any other info. By the way my wife choose a double stack 9mm S&W 6906. :barf:

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old June 22, 2009, 09:59 PM   #35
buck9

Super grrrrl78

My wife wanted a glock . She bought a glock26 and could not hit anything with it got some crimson trace grips and she is back in the black.
Old June 22, 2009, 10:13 PM   #36
KBOlsen

Lots of interesting opinions here... and a few good ones as well. Here's some advice from another new chick:

Heavier, slower bullets (i.e., .45 acp) will offer better stopping power (this from the instructors at the IA CCW class).

After that, I would look at how much you can afford to spend... and then I would go try out as many different guns as you can in your price range.

I quickly learned that, like learning to ride a motorcycle, the best gun for any one is the one that you feel most comfortable/confident handling. I have yet to find a gun, bike, car, etc. that could discern the gender of the person controlling it (sorry, couldn't resist). All have their quirks and limitations, you just need to decide what works best for you.

I bought a .45 XD because I wanted a durable, "simple" automatic. I'm an average-size woman with average-size hands. Manipulating the slide was awkward at first but after a couple of days of handling, it got a lot easier (and is now a non-issue).

Most importantly, get some good instruction on the fundamentals so that you can develop good habits early on. And then practice, practice, practice.
Old June 22, 2009, 10:13 PM   #37
Colt1911forever

Quote:
super_grrrrl78,

My suggestion is based on 35 years of gun ownership and I would suggest the same to man or woman. For home defense the revolver, with 5, 6, or 7 shot cylinder in steel or light weight alloy is going to be the best choice.

The reason is based on simplicity. With a revolver you can load and unload as many times as you want and not have to worry like with a semi about how many times the bullet has hit the feed ramp and caused set back. That means that with a revolver you can unload it and dry fire it or wipe it down and clean it as many times as you want and load it up and you are ready to go without any hassles.

Remember home defense and self-defense are not war. I doubt if anyone can find one instance where a trained person proficient with a revolver failed where using a semi he/she would have succeeded.

The first gun I bought was a semi-auto. The second was a revolver. I have bought many of both types since. I carry a revolver everyday and it is the first gun I would reach for when something goes bump in the night.

Bill
If we are not sticking to semi-autos as already stated why not a shotgun..... Does not get any simpler than a Remmy 870 and nothing more deadly.
Old June 23, 2009, 12:32 PM   #38
Quentin2

SG, I forgot to say in my previous post to fire rental guns. Glad that hknut stressed that in his (and gave good info on resources local to you). It is important to fire different models and calibers. 9mm is the bare minimum but it's smart to try 40S&W and 45 too. Adding to what I said about DA/SA, DAO and SA, the best way to choose which type of action you prefer is to fire good examples of all three.

Hopefully the gun rental/firing range will have professional staff who can assist you with unfamiliar guns, and be sure to have someone you trust and is knowledgeable go with you. Whatever you choose, become proficient with it.
Old June 23, 2009, 06:42 PM   #39
doc540

this:

Inexpensive: $339.95 at Academy Sports
17 rounds
Intentional trigger
"Don't-have-to-aim" laser

My wife shoots it well and feels safe with it in the house.
Old June 23, 2009, 09:31 PM   #40
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
Or maybe the Sig P238 Straight blow back design but it is small. Plus its cocked and locked.
The Sig P238 is tilt-barrel, locked breech, like many of the newer 380's (P3AT, LCP, etc.), but unlike any of them, it is SAO.

Andy
Old June 23, 2009, 09:35 PM   #41
Colt1911forever

Quote:
The Sig P238 is tilt-barrel, locked breech, like many of the newer 380's (P3AT, LCP, etc.), but unlike any of them, it is SAO.

Andy
Thanks for the clarification. I had read both.
Old June 23, 2009, 11:49 PM   #42
Travlin

Welcome to the forum.

You have gotten a lot of good advice. Here are a couple of thoughts that may be helpful.

If this is for home defense and you don't plan to carry it, get the biggest caliber that you can shoot accurately and comfortably. That would probably be 9mm, .40, or .45. 9mm is much cheaper so you can practice more.

A full size all-metal gun absorbs recoil much better, and is steady in the hand to improve accuracy. In a full size gun the recoil of the .45 caliber is for many people easier to handle than the 9mm, which surprises most folks.

For 9mm, many people consider the CZ 75B a great natural shooter at a very good price.

For .45, a 1911 is a great natural shooter and has the best trigger of any gun I've shot.

Whatever you choose should feel good in your hand, and point naturally with a great grip. The 1911 and CZ 75B are widely praised for this. If it doesn't instinctively feel right you won't ever shoot your best with it.

Many women (and men) find small guns appealing. But f you aren't carrying concealed then a full size gun has important advantages. It is not too heavy for smaller people to hold comfortably, and you don't have to use your strength to absorb the recoil like you would with a small one.

Besides, a small woman with a big gun is very intimidating if she looks like she knows how to use it.
Old June 23, 2009, 11:55 PM   #43
Travlin

Welcome to the forum.

You have gotten a lot of good advice. Here are a couple of thoughts to help you narrow your selection.

If this is for home defense and you don't plan to carry it, get the biggest caliber that you can shoot accurately and comfortably. That would probably be 9mm, .40, or .45. 9mm is much cheaper so you can practice more.

A full size all-metal gun absorbs recoil much better, and is steady in the hand to improve accuracy. In a full size gun the recoil of the .45 caliber is for many people easier to handle than the 9mm, which surprises most folks.

For 9mm, many people consider the CZ 75B a great natural shooter at a very good price.

For .45, a 1911 is a great natural shooter and has the best trigger of any gun I've shot.

Whatever you choose should feel good in your hand, and point naturally with a great grip. The 1911 and CZ 75B are widely praised for this. If it doesn't instinctively feel right you won't ever shoot your best with it.

Many women (and men) find small guns appealing. But f you aren't carrying concealed then a full size gun has important advantages. It is not too heavy for smaller people to hold comfortably, and you don't have to use your strength to absorb the recoil like you would with a small one.

Besides, a small woman with a big gun is very intimidating if she looks like she knows how to use it.
Old June 24, 2009, 08:52 PM   #44
dav

Firearms Academy of Seattle is worth checking out.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:00 PM   #45
pacerdude

You could try a Smith and Wesson M&P 9. It has a good weight to it, and with changeable back straps it should fit your hand well. A Glock 19 is also a good choice if it fits your hand. Find a gun that fits your hand and the recoil will be much more controllable. Good Luck!
Old June 24, 2009, 09:06 PM   #46
TripIII

My wife likes her HK P2000 SK, in 9mm, but she also uses it for carry so it is small and light. Nice shooter. If it is only for home defense I think you should look for more capacity. P2000 would be great. If a .45 does not bother you (which it shouldn't), an HK USP Compact or HK 45 Compact is a beautiful gun for a female. HKs are soft shooters and reliable although some say pricey. Just remember, no one gun is perfect for everything so experience (practice, practice, practice) is your best guide.
Old June 24, 2009, 10:02 PM   #47
Stevie-Ray

I would recommend a Glock 19. And definitely try out the smaller Glock 26 if you feel you may want to carry. I love my 26, and have a female cousin that not only loves hers, she shoots it in competition.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:17 PM   #48
Dave T

Based on 10 years of teaching self-defense and CCW certification, my recommendation would be the Glock 19. In addition to that weapon/caliber choice I would highly recommend some good training. Husbands, boyfriends, fathers & brothers make poor instructors. Find a professional and get the training.

Dave
Old June 25, 2009, 01:48 PM   #49
fender1974

Glock 19

My wife seems to enjoy the 9mm Glock 19. It really doesn't have much recoil and after a few sessions at a range, I'm sure that you'd adjust to that. My wife's biggest complaint was the noise.

If your local range rents, it might be a good idea to try out a few differnt pistols to see which one you're most comfortable with. As far as ease of operation goes, in my opinion it's hard to beat the Glock.

Best of luck to you!
Old June 25, 2009, 04:15 PM   #50
Doc TH

Colt 1911 I think you should try the decaf.

You don't like the word revolver to be used in the semiauto forum - fine, that's your own opinion.
But you obviously agree with recommending a shotgun on the SA forum?

I believe all the respondents are just trying to give the best general advice they can to a neophyte.