The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which would you get for your only home defense and range gun?
Glock 17 42 55.26%
Beretta M9A1 10 13.16%
Beretta 92A1 24 31.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 29, 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
AdrianVall

Can't decide!! Glock 17 vs Beretta M9A1 or 92A1

Hey guys,

I'm putting up a poll here. I am having a stupidly difficult time deciding what to get.

I can't decide what to get. I was all set on getting the Glock 17 when I went into my local gun shop. But before I said lets get it, I decided to take a look at the Beretta's. Of course, I saw the M9A1 and the 92A1. The M9A1 I can get for $659 and the 92A1 a bit less. The Glock 17, in flat dark earth, is for $600.

I absolutely LOVE the feel of the Beretta. The slide is way smoother, the metal frame feels GREAT, but I hate the safety mechanism. I like the glock for its versatility, reliability, and aftermarket options, but I am not to crazy about polymer frames.

So, I can't decide. I'm stuck. Help me out here! This is going to be a range gun and home defense ONLY.

My wife will shoot either one, but which would have the least amount of recoil? 9mm is the biggest caliber she will shoot, and even then, she doesn't quite enjoy as much for the kick it has.

I have one other gun, which is my carry gun.. a Sig P938.

If it were you guys, what would you get and why?

M9A1 is made in the USA, comes with two 15 round mags, and is $659.. but I really dislike the safety location. Love the all metal frame, and racking the slide is a breeze.

92A1 is made in Italy, comes with three 17 round mags, and is probably around $630'ish. Also dislike the safety location and love the slide.

Glock 17 is dead nuts reliable from what I've read, tons of aftermarket stuff, but has a polymer frame.. could be had for $600.

I've never had a striker fired pistol. All guns I've had have been DA/SA or SA only. But the trigger on the Glock felt so nice and easy to shoot. That first DA pull on the Beretta really sucks, but the SA shots afterwards feel fantastic.

Help!

Thanks,
Adrian
Old December 29, 2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I've never had a striker fired pistol. All guns I've had have been DA/SA or SA only. But the trigger on the Glock felt so nice and easy to shoot. That first DA pull on the Beretta really sucks, but the SA shots afterwards feel fantastic.

Let me just preface this by saying I like/own all trigger systems out there (excluding maker specific) and for defensive use I prefer either SAO or striker for the reason you just said. To get to that SA pull you've got to go through the DA pull and you're responsible for that round. Sure, tons of people (I'd like to think myself included ) shoot DA/SA guns well and fast but it's much harder to develop proficiency with in my opinion.

That's my verbose way of saying get the G17
Old December 29, 2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Vireye

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508385

Of course, in the end I bought a Glock 21. Go figure.

Of the two, I like the Glock.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
jmfc606

Whatever one feels the best in YOUR hand! I've had Glocks but never liked the way they felt in my hands. I shot them well but just didn't "like the feel". I do own a Beretta 92FS Police Special. It is made in USA has a matte finish and came with 3 15 rd mags. I love the way it shoots but I have never carried it due to it's size. I have plenty of smaller carry guns. It feels great in my hand so that's why I still have it.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
TailGator

The deciding factor should probably be the trigger/safety system. The Beretta is certainly more refined and aesthetically pleasing, but if you dislike the safety and the DA/SA mechanism, it isn't going to be a pistol you enjoy shooting, and it may not be a pistol that you shoot well.

I chose a Glock (G26) for a carry pistol because of the simplicity and reliability, along with the fact that I pretty much don't care if it gets holster wear, scratches, and such. I also have a Beretta 92FS Inox with oval-checkered walnut grips; it is a pleasure to shoot, to handle, even just to look at, and it gets babied.

You can't really make a bad choice from your list. From you stated preferences you will probably want the Glock, but your wife may notice less recoil with the Beretta. You might need a Glock in your bedside table and a Beretta in hers.
Old December 30, 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
plom

I had them all and ended with the Glock... From an esthetic point the beretta is the best looking pistol, but from a practical standpoint the glock wins for me. The price of the parts, the ease of maintenance the possibility to completely disassemble the pistol is a great advantage for me.
Tough, if you had to own only 1 glock I would recommend a Glock 19.
Old December 30, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
myshoulderissore

Every time I shoot other guns, I come to the conclusion that the utilitarian design of the Glock line is just amazing. Dead nuts reliable, simple maintenance, simple operation. I am not saying other guns are lesser to them, but there is something about them that makes me love them!
Old December 30, 2012, 02:44 PM   #8

I also think that the Beretta is the more aesthetic of the two options- still I have to recommend the Glock as the more preferable of the two. It's durability is what makes it "purty".
Old December 30, 2012, 02:57 PM   #9
ShootingNut

A Beretta 92 is as good as a Glock by all measures, and certainly far exceeds the Glock in looks. Not bashing, just stating an opinion.
Looks does mean something to me when purchasing a new handgun,
others may look only at pure function.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:22 PM   #10
FlySubCompact

My son-in-law just got back from a tour in Afghanistan and was issued the Beretta m9. I don't know the specifics, but he hated it.

He loves shooting my Glock and had intentions of buying a 17 or 19 when he got back. His getting back coincided with this Obama buying scare right now, so prices are up. A cop buddy of his had a good deal on a used Beretta px4 Storm and he bought it instead. He really likes that one. He also shoots it rather well.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
My son-in-law just got back from a tour in Afghanistan and was issued the Beretta m9. I don't know the specifics, but he hated it.
I fully understand this sentiment but military issued M9s just don't compare to a Beretta that you'd buy at the gun shop. First, most units make you carry it with the safety on even though your first shot will be DA and you're using a retention holster

Secondly, the guns are just beat to crap. I actually just saw my first 'new' M9s about a month ago and I've got a decade behind me in uniform. Nice M9s are absolutely the exception, not the rule.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
NWPilgrim

I love many things about the Beretta and even bought my soon to deploy SIL one for familiarization. But it is impossible to hit the mag release without shifting my grip significantly. And it is a loooong DA trigger pull.

The guns are so different I would make sure to thoroughly handle them before deciding. Also, the military version of the Beretta has a front sight milled from the slide, not replaceable. Get the civvy version.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Homerboy

You can buy a Beretta "D" spring for 5 bucks and greatly improve the DA trigger pull. And why does it matter about the safety? You're not carrying it. I've sold 2 glocks. The Beretta is a MUCH higher quality gun. I love my M9. And since you said recoil is an issue, the heavier beretta will certainly soak up more of it.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Oceanbob

Glock 17. You can't go swimming with a beretta and roll in the mud.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:01 PM   #15
AdrianVall

LMAO! I actually saw that silly torture test of the G17 and Beretta. So ridiculous.

Anyway, I ended up going with a Glock 17 Gen 4 in Flat Dark Earth. It was the last one they had, and it was the first time I've found one in Gen 4. So I'm definitely excited.

However.. I can't stop thinking about the Beretta. GRRRR!
Old December 31, 2012, 10:11 PM   #16
Xfire68

Good choice. I know there are many 92 fans but, I personally think Glock did it right aside from them being UGLY!

Yes I own a Glock!
Old December 31, 2012, 11:33 PM   #17
AdrianVall

A big reason as to why I got the Glock was because my wife shot it pretty well. 9mm is the largest caliber she'll shoot, so that played a big factor into our decision. She had a hard time racking the slide on the Glock, but also had a very hard time pulling the DA trigger on the Beretta. So I felt the Glock would be a better buy. I can learn to shoot anything, so that wasn't a concern for me. I just wanted what she can shoot better.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:46 AM   #18
TXAZ

If its that lose, ahich fits your grip best?

I like the Beretta better than the Glock but it really a personal pref.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 1, 2013, 06:04 AM   #19
Niantician

You could try to find a lightly used 92D. I carried one for 5yrs till we switched to m&ps. Not as good looking with the shaved hammer. But no manual safety. Mine had a very long trigger pull, but it was the smoothest trigger Ive ever pulled. EVER!