The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2017, 02:00 PM   #1
FLChinook

What's wrong with my RCBS powder throw measure?

Oh, the frustration!! My tried and true RCBS powder throw measure (you know, the one with a green cylinder atop a measuring chamber that you crank once to throw a charge into a scale cup which you then measure, in my case with an RCBS digital scale) has become totally erratic. One throw is 50 and the next throw is 40.... and on and on. It hasn't been used in about a year but it lives in a totally air conditioned environment.

What could have happened?

Should I toss it and get something better?

What's the best (considering value for money and the fact that I typically reload maybe 1000 rounds/year)?

Thanks
Old October 9, 2017, 02:17 PM   #2
scatterbrain

What about the scales?
You probably can see if something broke or fell off the mechanics on the powder measure, but can you see inside the guizzmoes on the scales? I never measure powder with digital scales, i have one, use it to weight ever thing but powder.
Old October 9, 2017, 02:19 PM   #3
FLChinook

I can't see anything "broke". I'm using RL25.
Old October 9, 2017, 02:21 PM   #4
FLChinook

Quote:
I never measure powder with digital scales
What do you use to measure powder? It must be really good (read that as reliable and consistent) if you don't weigh... Are you reloading rifle, as I am...
Old October 9, 2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Smoke & Recoil

Verify your digital scale with a balance beam scale first before bashing the
powder measure.
Old October 9, 2017, 02:31 PM   #6
condor bravo

Was the powder measure stored with powder in it? If so, empty the powder and start fresh. It may have become clumped resulting in erratic charges.
Old October 9, 2017, 02:33 PM   #7
BBarn

I haven't tried Reloader 25 specifically, but my RCBS Uniflow does not throw stick powder very consistently. Another issue is the plastic fitting on the discharge. Using the small one often causes part of a stick powder charge to get stuck, throwing a very light charge, and often clears on the next charge, throwing a very heavy charge. As a result, I double tap each time on the dispense stroke, which usually clears any stuck granules.
Old October 9, 2017, 02:44 PM   #8
FLChinook

Quote:
Was the powder measure stored with powder in it?
No, I always empty the Uniflow.

Quote:
I haven't tried Reloader 25 specifically, but my RCBS Uniflow does not throw stick powder very consistently. Another issue is the plastic fitting on the discharge. Using the small one often causes part of a stick powder charge to get stuck, throwing a very light charge, and often clears on the next charge, throwing a very heavy charge. As a result, I double tap each time on the dispense stroke, which usually clears any stuck granules.
I find the same thing... which makes me wonder about being able to continue using RL25 in this device. I always get a very large second dispersal with a second and third tap.

I haven't tried doing a double tap on the charge part of the cycle. Anyone doing that?
Old October 9, 2017, 02:57 PM   #9
FLChinook

I just examined my stock of powders and I don't have one that's spherical; all are cylindrical.
But I've used them all at one time or another in this Uniflow. All have definite "sticking" effects as the cylinder has to shear off pieces of powder. But I've always in the past had reproducible charges within half a grain... until today.
Old October 9, 2017, 03:11 PM   #10
hounddawg

Have you tried to disassemble and clean the chamber in the powder throw ? I found a dead spider inside my Hornady throw once when it was acting wacky. There is not much that can go wrong with any of these units, they all are just a hole in plastic or metal and as you turn the adjustment screw in and out the volume of the hole changes. Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, Lee perfect powder throw and even the Harrel are all based on the same basic design.

Last edited by hounddawg; October 9, 2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old October 9, 2017, 03:26 PM   #11
RC20

Its the nature of the beast.

You charge low, then you use your trickler to top up to the right level.

Lyman makes an electronic scale that has build in trickler, or you can get an auto dispenser (Lyamn or RCBS makes a pretty low cost one now, something around $160 on sale)
Old October 9, 2017, 03:34 PM   #12
Metal god

First I'd get something like check weights or another scale to confirm your digital scale is accurate . My little cheap Hornady scale just went south one day and started measuring everything off by 15gr+ .

Quote:
Have you tried to disassemble and clean the chamber in the powder throw
If the scale is working properly then completely cleaning the powder measure would be my next step then lube with graphite .

Maybe try some fine ball powder which typically measures well and see if it works with that .

My powder measure ( Hornady ) does not throw stick powder very well but nothing like 10gr off . I get +/- .4 so a total of .8gr and that is huge IMO so 10gr is , well ridiculous . Something is defiantly wrong with either your scale or the powder measure .

Hmm , could you by any chance be using old powder and or contaminated powder that is clumping ???

Also I do know the longer stick powders can bridge in the powder measure causing a log jam effect . Which has happened to me but this generally does not consistently happen . If it does happen I may not see it again for a thousand more throws.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 9, 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old October 9, 2017, 03:51 PM   #13
F. Guffey

If my Uniflows all w3ent south I still would not be out of business, I have at least 5 Uniflows and all 5 have a large and small drum. And then there are scales, there are not many I do not have/ I have check weights by Ohaus, the one set I use the most is the one with 47 pieces of check weighs. Electronic? I have two, the electronic scales are high maintenance and expensive, I spend more time bragging about owning them than I spend using them.

And then there are those auto dispensers, I have two that are RCBS.

My favorite is the Little Dandy by RCBS, I have 22 rotors.

I also have powder measures that are brown and blue.

F. Guffey
Old October 9, 2017, 04:08 PM   #14
robhic

Quote:
I haven't tried doing a double tap on the charge part of the cycle. Anyone doing that?
Yes and no. I am using a Lee "Perfect Powder Measure," not the RCBS, and I'm happy with it so far. I've been giving the mechanism a little flick to make sure it drops all the powder. I also only load pistol so I like the setup. But I DO tap the powder measure just kinda out of habit.
Old October 9, 2017, 04:55 PM   #15
roashooter

I would suspect the digital scale ....long before I blamed my RCBS powder throw....
Old October 9, 2017, 06:01 PM   #16
BBarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLChinook View Post
It's my standard practice to double tap at both ends of the stroke. But there are still times with the long extruded powders that part of the charge gets stuck, especially with the small plastic drop fitting in place (a little less with large drop fitting in place). Due to the poor consistency with those powders, I weigh each one. I can usually tell when part of the charge doesn't drop when I put it on the scale since it's typically several grains light. In that case I put the pan back under the measure and give it a couple more taps and the remaining (stuck) charge will dislodge and drop in the pan. Then I trickle in the rest.
Old October 9, 2017, 06:28 PM   #17
wild willy

Mine did the same thing.Make sure there isn’t a spider web in the drop tube
Old October 9, 2017, 07:23 PM   #18
RC20

I will run an experiment with a listed powder, and see how mine does, in regards to a digital, I run almost all stick powders. 4831, 4895, R17 etc.

Certainly varies a good grain but not 10.

Its 35 years old, I don't recall it ever being spot on with stick powders.

I always set it up low and trickled in the beam, then the Lyman scale with the built on trickler (that's my backup as it goes pretty fast - a good second digital check as well as general weighting)

Agreed on the scale check, zero it and then weigh your check weight.

I think I have 5 of those around now so I can cross verify as well as known pan weight.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:58 PM   #19
cw308

I started reloading 25+ years ago with that same unit . Went with the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 , made life much easier. Reloading should be enjoyable not frustrating. I double check with the GemPro 250 scale for bench rest rifle loads, super accurate. Hornady sells a nice powder thrower , just as good as the 1500 at half the price . I mostly reload for rifle 308 using IMR 4064 when I'm looking to fill the case with 41.5 grains I want it to be 41.5 , 41.52 is only one piece of 4064 , .02 of a grain will not make a difference but that's just me. I not loading a large quantity at a time.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:18 PM   #20
hounddawg

Quote:
Yes and no. I am using a Lee "Perfect Powder Measure," not the RCBS, and I'm happy with it so far.
I use a Lee in my portable range box, with stick it is more accurate than the Hornady which cost me 5 times as much and with ball and flake it is dead on. Someone on here suggested to get multiple Lee's and keep one set on up for each common load you use. Next time I do a order I think I shall drop a couple onto the order

Last edited by hounddawg; October 9, 2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:29 PM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
I would suspect the digital scale ....long before I blamed my RCBS powder throw....
Absolutely.............

Digitals get affected by temp changes, HVAC, lack of warming up, fluorescent lights, etc. The RCBS uniflow does not.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 9, 2017, 08:56 PM   #22
FLChinook

Thanks to all who replied. I let myself get timed out and then relied on my memory to log back in. My users name is chinook, right... WRONG. So 5 tries and then I'm locked out; went off to do something else and you know the rest of the story...

Anyway, I had a nice talk with Bob at Berger Bullets (they have fabulous customer service). I had called to talk about powers (looking for something less cylindrical and hard that Berger liked for my .257 WM) and in addition to advice on that, Bob suggested what many of you did - clean the Uniflow with alcohol to remove invisible residues. I did that and will try it now with H1000 which Bob suggested might be slightly more "measure friendly".

BTW, for those of you loading Berger bullets for a .257WM, Bob told me the COAL in their manual is wrong; it should be 3.260" instead of 3.170.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:37 PM   #23
FLChinook

Here's the rest of the story. Using H1000 (more measure friends):

First position of Measuring Screw: 55.9, 51.9, 52.1, 52.3, 52,2 (Avg last 4=52.1)
Turn out two turns: 57.9, 56.6, 57.4, 57.5, 57.9 (Avg=57.7)
Turn out two more turns: 63.0, 63.1, 63,2, 62.8, 62.9 (Avg=63.0)

So except for the very first reading, everything is working smoothly.
Old October 10, 2017, 07:19 AM   #24
hounddawg

nice to hear you solved it. These units are pretty simple in design and there is really not much that can go wrong.
Old October 10, 2017, 11:00 AM   #25
RC20

Quote:
Absolutely.............

Digitals get affected by temp changes, HVAC, lack of warming up, fluorescent lights, etc. The RCBS uniflow does not.
As the OP has his issue resolved, I would like to continue my efforts to educte on digital scales.

You don't need to cross check them with another scale. And don't get me wrong, I now have 3 digial devices for various purposes (one is the Auto Charger)

You merely need to and absolute should know what your powder pan weight is.

I use an old RCBS one that is 145 grains (advantage to that)

When I put it on any one of my scales, I know it should show 145 grains.

That's in actually an auto check. If it does not, you need to calibrate.

If that does not work you have a bad scale (be it a stand alone or one that is parts of an Auto Dispensing System)

Your next step is to Tare (Zero) the pan for the correct reading on your powder charge.

When you lift the pan OFF, you should read 145 grains (or whatever your pan is). If not, how far off?

A tenth is generally no issue, I re-zero at 2/10. My Lyman Dispenser won't let it get more than 3 or 4 tenth before it tells me I need to re-zero. If that does not work, then a calibration needs to be done. If that is off then the scale is a gonner.

If you understand the above, then you have zero issues. Each charge when you take the pan is a visual check of the setup.

If you want to use the old stuff that is fine, the Auto Charger is the best thing since sliced bread if you reload groups of more than 10.

We could still be driving Model Ts if we wanted to have simple and quite fixable systems (frequently and often) . New vehicles of course offer huge improvements.

They are vastly more reliable, they don't pollute, they are insanely safer.

Some tech is just cute stuff and worthless. Some is a vast improvement.

Digital scales are a vast improvement. They take a very little bit of process to understand and use, one done, its all a plus.

It may sound clunky, its not, just like not having to crank the engine with a hand crank, with the auto starter, firing up is wonderful. Many broken arms have been saved.