The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 29, 2017, 01:32 AM   #1
TruthTellers

SBS options

I've always thought that the shortest shotgun one can have is the best for home defense. Recently, there was a video about a side by side break open shotgun with barrels that were cut down to 3 inches. Personally, I would never consider such a shotgun a useful defense gun and a waste of a $200 tax stamp.

But, at the end of the video, the guy put a 12 inch barrel onto the frame and it clicked: you could put ANY length of barrels onto the frame because the gun is already a SBS.

I like such versatility. I'd probably want a 12 inch barrel on a SBS, but then a regular length barrel like 20 or 26 inches.

So, with that known, who are some side by side shotgun manufacturers who offer spare barrels? The shotgun used in the video happened to be a Stoeger Coach Gun. I have no experience with Stoeger, are they any good?

Also, given the concept, would any pump shotguns be a good candidate for a tactical/versatile SBS? I would imagine that a pump gun with a 14 inch barrel would only be able to hold five in the tube, but a 20 inch barrel pump can hold up to eight. Would there be a way to switch between the different barrels and put an extension on the mag tube?
Old April 29, 2017, 12:05 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

There are extended mag tubes for the 870 and it can swap barrels.
The 500 can swap barrels but the mag tube is limited because the magazine lug is on the barrel. You would need to match the barrel with the mag tube.
Old April 29, 2017, 07:33 PM   #3
TruthTellers

So, the 870's lug isn't located on the barrel then?

As for the Mossberg 500 and 590's, they don't have extended mag tubes available that the barrel lug would work with?

EDIT: Also, why couldn't I just remove the 5 round mag tube on a Mossberg and replace it entirely with an 8 round tube and buy the appropriate longer barrel for that?

Last edited by TruthTellers; April 29, 2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old April 29, 2017, 07:36 PM   #4
FITASC

Stoegers are crap; secondly, extra barrels need to be fitted and that would cost more than the gun

This is not the same as changing barrels on a pump gun
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 30, 2017, 01:10 PM   #5
Chainsaw.

You could get a stamp on ome of those new mossberg shorties, 5 shot 14" barrel. Comes with a short grip, whem the stamp shows up put a but stock on?
Old April 30, 2017, 02:05 PM   #6
ShootistPRS

The lug on the 500 has a captured bolt that screws into the end of the mag tube. If you got a longer or shorter mag tube you would need a new barrel to make it fit. The mag tube retains the barrel on the 500.
Old April 30, 2017, 05:48 PM   #7
TruthTellers

Quote:
The lug on the 500 has a captured bolt that screws into the end of the mag tube. If you got a longer or shorter mag tube you would need a new barrel to make it fit. The mag tube retains the barrel on the 500.
If getting another, shorter mag tube is required to work with a shorter 14 inch barrel, fine.

My ideal situation is to buy a 20 inch 500/590 with an 8 rd tube, do the tax stamp and buy another barrel that's meant for the 5 rd tubes, chop it down as short as possible without touching the lug, and then buying a 5 rd tube.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:14 PM   #8
ShootistPRS

My 20" Mossberg 500 ATP-8 came with a 7 round mag. The 18" Mossberg came with a 5 round mag. I got lucky and found a hunting barrel made for the ATP-8 but I have yet to find a rifled slug barrel for it. The shorter mag has many barrels made for it. I doubt you will be able to find a barrel shorter than 20" to fit the long mag. Good luck.
Old July 2, 2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Jackson Hammersmith

Since the Mossberg Shockwave comes from the factory as a "Firearm", can it still be Form 1'd into an SBS? Or does it have to start life as a "Shotgun"?
Old July 3, 2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Mobuck

Better give some thought to how you'll handle the recoil, muzzle blast, and noise. In actual use, you may not have the opportunity to put on ear defenders, face shield, and grippy gloves.
Old July 3, 2017, 08:03 AM   #11
FITASC

If you don't mind the stamp costs, get the Serbu; otherwise the non-stamp 14" with birdshead grips from Remington and Mossberg might do
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 3, 2017, 05:53 PM   #12
dogtown tom

Quote:
Jackson Hammersmith Since the Mossberg Shockwave comes from the factory as a "Firearm", can it still be Form 1'd into an SBS? Or does it have to start life as a "Shotgun"?
Form 1+ $200 tax and it can become an SBS. It could also be made into an AOW for $200 but you cannot put a stock on an AOW without paying another $200 for an SBS.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 4, 2017, 02:18 AM   #13
TruthTellers

I decided I'm just going to get a KSG.
Old July 4, 2017, 06:37 AM   #14
rkbanet

IMHO a SBS has much better ergonomics than a KSG.
Old July 8, 2017, 06:34 PM   #15
Willie Lowman

I have a 14" 590a1 SBS and a Serbu SS.

I can't speak for the idea of changing barrels. I have no desire to do such a thing. For real world house navigation and shooting, the fixed stock and surefire forend on my Mossberg is the cat's whiskers.

The 7" barrel of the super shorty is fun but otherwise useless.

Tags
pump , sbs , spare barrels , sxs