The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 1, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
MNDH 1007

Shotgun slug recoil in an 870

I'm hoping 2 get tips on a good recoil pad for my Remington 870 express... I deer hunt in a shotgun only zone part of the yr in MN. I shoot hornady SST sabots and not 2 complain but the recoils barely bearable lol. I've shot my uncles 300 wby which kicks way less. The reason I shoot the performance slugs is for reach and the good bc of the bullet. Anyone try anything that worked... Thanks 4 your help
Old October 1, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Limbsaver slip-on or Pachmyer (?sp) decelerator.
Old October 1, 2013, 04:20 PM   #3
precision_shooter

Limbsaver also makes a direct fit replacement. Take off the factory pad, install the limbsaver and you will be good to go. It doesn't reduce recoil, but the softness of the pad sure does make it much more "enjoyable" to shoot.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 1, 2013, 06:16 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The limbsaver I slipped on my .30-06 really impresses me...

It absorbs the recoil better than I ever imagined possible...

I have a "power port" IV device in my chest and both my doctor and I agreed shooting could be dangerous...

I slide the stock over to my shoulder a bit to distance from the port and it is still completely soft on me...

To be quite frank, the radiation damage on my left shoulder was screaming from the shock involved from the rearward travel as I held the forestock... Made me quit after 16 rounds...

You will LOVE a limbsaver on your gun...

Squishy!!!

Brent
Old October 1, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5
jmr40

Another recommendation for one of the new High Tech recoil pads. They really do work. It might also be possible to add weight to the buttstock of the gun. The wood stocks have a little space to add about 1/4-1/2 lb of lead shot. The synthetic stocks have lots of room. I normally like to keep the weight of my guns down, but if recoil is an issue more weight helps.
Old October 2, 2013, 11:24 PM   #6
shortwave

Not a recoil pad but a different round?

Hornady makes the Custom Lite Slug that uses the same SST projectile but boasts 40% less recoil then a regular 2 3/4" shotgun slug.
Old October 2, 2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Murby

Nothing will do more to reduce recoil shock than adding inertia. Clamp it on the barrel, fill up the stock with it, or add more crap to the guns mounts... More weight means more inertia means less recoil.. Its simple math.

You would be amazed at what a little extra fat will do...

I'm tempted to try a limbsaver pad but fear the squishy in the back will translate to squishy in the cross-hairs. My concerns may be unfounded however.
Old October 3, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
My concerns may be unfounded however.
I think they are... The limbsaver is used on many rifles doing long distance shooting from competition to sniper work... Squishy ain't a problem...

Also, please remember, not everyone feels the value in adding a ton of weight to a gun needing a lot of carrying afield...

some of us have injuries alone that prevent that frame of thought...

There are 2 fields of thought that are accurate... Add weight or add padding...

Me??? I must go with the padding...

Brent
Old October 4, 2013, 05:16 AM   #9
drcook

Are you comparing recoil from sighting in/shooting at the bench to recoil felt when actually shooting at a deer ?

Ohio is a shotgun state and my 12ga Ithaca fixed barrel deerslayer is a vicious monster when shooting from a bench but I have never felt it through my hunting clothes when a deer is out in front.

If so, then a slip on one for bench shooting would be best.

A replacement recoil pad would be better as it would not have as much chance to drag on your clothes when bringing the gun up when a deer shows up.

However, the slip on ones that I use are called the "Shooter's Friend".

http://www.shootersfriend.com/

they are carried at a variety of establishments, including Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-S...Pad/740373.uts

I use them on my BPCR rifles (the big guys, the 100, 110 etc) as they can get tiring shooting in a match of 60 or so shots.
Old October 4, 2013, 01:28 PM   #10
SteelChickenShooter

I only suggest (for readers that did not already buy but might be reading ) to get the limbsaver. But also if you are in cold, heavy coat country, buy the youth model so the added pad plus the coat thickness amounts to a reasonable pull length shotgun.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:23 PM   #11
MNDH 1007

Bought a limb saver world of difference with the SSTs groups are now arround 1.5 2 in @ 100 and pad helps a lot...
Old October 26, 2013, 06:38 AM   #12
TMW89

I have the Limbsaver slip on on my shotgun. I think it was $30-40, which is kind of a lot, but it is a very nice pad. Takes about 1.5 seconds to install. Glad I bought it.

Is that 870 a rifled barrel? I shoot the same sabots in my 20 guage, but its a rifled barrell. I guess I've never seen an 870 rifled, not that I pay extra close attention to them.
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old October 28, 2013, 04:37 PM   #13
zippy13

An easy way to add mass to your R-870: Fill empty hulls with shot, tape as needed, and put them between the mag spring and the end cap. I have a weight in the mag of my R-gun to improve the swing dynamics as well taming the kick.
Quote:
There are 2 fields of thought that are accurate... Add weight or add padding...
Brent, how about padding AND weight?
Old October 30, 2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Ricklin

Great minds think a like Zippy! My Model 12 trap is a real pussycat, thanks to those hulls filled with #8 in the mag tube, and the stock bolt hole filled with #8 too. Made a just shy of ten Lbs. gun out of it. I would not want to lug it around the woods, but it is perfect for the trap field.
The combination of extra weight is nice because you can play with the balance by varying the amount at each end.
Old November 7, 2013, 10:41 AM   #15
jkpq45

I bought one of these, big help.

Old November 8, 2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Noreaster

Position of the stock helps. Sometimes the Rem 870 is too long and ends up on your upper arm. The toe of the stock is the bottom corner. Outstretch your strong side arm like a scarecrow and then move it to the front of your body while keeping it locked out. Have your weak hand on your shooting shoulder and as you move your shooting arm forward in front of you you will find a pocket in your shoulder. Put the toe of the shotgun in the pocket when you shoot and keep it tucked in there. It will seem strange because the top of the stock will be off your shoulder. You can shoot heavy loads all day like this and it won't bother you, keep going back to that same position before you touch off a round. Also remember to get a good cheek weld on the stock. If the gun is slapping your cheek because you're off it you won't last long.
Old November 8, 2013, 06:48 PM   #17
BigD_in_FL

Add weight, recoil pad, and have the gun stock fitted -fitting alone will reduce the effects of recoil by at least 30%
Old November 9, 2013, 05:32 AM   #18
Dreaming100Straight

A couple of years ago Zippy13 suggested a pad for my 870 Express and it worked great and only cost $21. It's a Remington SuperCell and it fits the express without grinding. The ones for the synthetic and wood stocks are different.

They are made by LimbSaver for Remington.