The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 27, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1
baddarryl

Lightest safe trigger pull for a Glock?

What is the lightest pull you guys would consider safe for EDC?
Old November 27, 2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Sarge

I won't carry anything other than a factory Glock trigger and it's not out of fear of the legal boogeyman. The factory trigger is entirely shootable, reliable and safe if you handle it properly. I'm not willing to short one of those elements in hopes of improving another.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:48 PM   #3
baddarryl

I am thinking the same. I saw some the the Ghost kits and saw for Comp only made me think this. I have a 19 that I carry and use in Comp, so I was curious. Actually the trigger doesn't bother me at all, I just like to tinker.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:59 PM   #4
TriumphGuy

I agree with Sarge about stock triggers on carry guns except that it's absolutely because I am afraid of legal boogeymen. No need to have them try to bring up in court that I modified my gun to make it "more deadly", as ridiculous as that sounds to those of us in the know. If it's a gun that stays by the nightstand and never gets carried, I'd think about it because you could always make the excuse that it was the closest one to you. Hard to make that argument when you pick what gun goes in the holster and leave the house. All that said, I've never heard of a court case where modifications to the gun came up or even whether or not handloaded ammo was used, which also seems to worry people for the same reason (myself included). Either way, I'd rather not give the lawyers anything extra to work with if it came down to it.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

I'd leave it factory. Maybe clean up the reset a bit. Nothing less than 4lbs IF you must.

But again, factory.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Dashunde

I'm leaving my pull weight stock, but I'm thinking about swapping out the plastic trigger in my G27 for a nice smooth-faced aluminum option...I'll bet a dollar it'll *feel* lighter that way without the trigger safety dingus digging into my finger like the plastic one does.
However, I've yet to find a good inexpensive trigger group...
Old November 27, 2012, 10:04 PM   #7
baddarryl

The Law is a good point, but I was really thinking of a safety issue.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Denezin

Lowest is usually recommended at or around 4 pounds.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:10 PM   #9
TXAZ

Didn't NYPD go up to 8 lbs on their NY1 trigger and 12 lbs on their NY2 trigger?
I've heard it takes a little getting used to, and wonder, if the recent Times Square shootout in August involving several officers / 12 round exchange was any indication of their gun control and trigger effects, I have to wonder if more is better from an excited accuracy perspective.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 27, 2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Just polishing a stock trigger assembly will get you down to about 4 1/2.

I wouldn't go any lower than that for defensive gun.

For a target gun, you can go a lot lower.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:30 AM   #11
chris in va

I tried a factory Glock 4.5# connector on my 21. It removed all the stacking, and also gave me unintended double taps in our matches. Put the factory 5.5 back on the same day.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:37 AM   #12
9mm

Quote:
legal boogeyman
Lol!

I would never mess with a trigger on a carry gun. Just asking for trouble. Why do I need a 2lb trigger pull on a CCW? whats that going to say in court? Are we trying to get full auto status by lightning our trigger pulls to pop 2 rounds with 5 lbs of force vs 1 round of regular factory trigger?

Besides, if the gun messed up, it would be all factor parts, nothing added.
Old November 28, 2012, 05:22 AM   #13
1911Tuner

re:

From purely a safety standpoint, you can probably get it down to 2.5 pounds...but boy howdy, you'd better be careful to see that nothing is touching the trigger when reholstering.

Bottom line:

Is gun. Gun not safe.

It's not a toy and it sure ain't your friend. It turns into a rattlesnake the instant you put your hand on it.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Gaerek

I actually installed a NY-1 trigger in my G19. The first 100 rounds I put through it, I didn't like it at all, and was about to change it back. But I thought I'd give it another go. The next range trip, (after some dry fire practice at home, of course) I found that I actually liked the trigger better. It's more consistent from the back of the pull to where the trigger breaks (there's still a bit of stacking, but not nearly as bad as the factory trigger) and for me at least, it's easier to reset the trigger without short stroking. My accuracy, even at speed, hasn't suffered. I haven't actually weighed the pull, but most accounts (with the factory connector) put it at around 8lbs, and I think Glock says it brings it to 10lbs.

For a $2 part, it was worth the experiment, and at this point, I personally see no reason to change back. Anyway, everyone seems to want a lighter pull, but most see no reason to go heavier. I thought I'd give a different point of view on this.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Sarge

My outfit issued G22's with NY triggers, when I arrived in 2008.I've been able to exert some influence in matters related to firearms so when we acquired new Gen 3's in 2011, they came with the stock 5.5# setup.

Scores improved overall but the cold truth is that I shot my NY trigger just as well as my current rig. Of course I'm an old DA revolver guy from way back, and I shoot a lot on my own time/own dime.

My opinion is that a committed, driven individual will push him or her self to master whatever they select or are issued. In the process of mastering it, they acquire burned in muscle memory and the ability to operate the machine almost on autopilot. Once there, the mind is freed for solving problems that may or may not relate to the operation of the firearm. In the best case scenario, that added bit of clear thinking may prevent a need for the gun to be deployed at all.

Last edited by Sarge; November 28, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:55 AM   #16
ak2323

I'm with Ayoob on this one.

Really easy things to shut off the obvious avenues for an over-zealous DA in case you are involved in a self-defense shooting and it goes to court.

- Keep the stock trigger
- Use factory JHPs
- Don't laser etch 'born to kill' or 'smile before flash' etc. on the barrel

Technically you can of course do this, but do you want to fight that uphill battle with a DA saying - "See, they were so intent on killing people they installed a hair trigger / built custom bullets of doom / engraved their weapon of death with a ready made confession"?
Old November 28, 2012, 03:05 PM   #17
fastbolt

A dedicated defensive carry weapon, right? Not a dedicated competition pistol?

Leave it stock. Spend the time, effort and money on making "improvements" to the shooter. (Yes, as a Glock armorer I'm going to go with the "leave it stock" option. )

Ever heard the Risk Management philosophy of "Predictable is Preventable", though?

Why needlessly create unnecessary exposure to potential liability, and any difficulty of explaining non-factory modifications, in any sort of legal proceeding? Got extra money to burn in legal fees, or too much in the way of assets & property you might not mind losing?

If Glock currently requires a letterhead signature of the appointing authority (Chief, Sheriff, etc) in order for an agency armorer to receive their "-" connector, maybe it would create a needlessly uphill effort to explain why any individual owner/user would know better than the gun company about how heavy (or light) the triggers ought to be in their guns used for defensive/service carry?

Interestingly enough, in my last armorer recert class it was mentioned that the company had either started, or was going to start, requiring a letterhead waiver if an agency decided to buy G34/35's, with their lighter weight triggers, for use as duty weapons. First I'd heard of that, if indeed it's their current policy or practice, but I could see their point from the company's perspective.

Besides, "improve the trigger" on one Glock, and that's all you get. Improve the skills and trigger technique of the user, however, and that can be applied to other Glocks.

Just my thoughts. (My own 3 Glocks have stock triggers, BTW).
Old November 28, 2012, 11:16 PM   #18
Hairbag

I put the ghost 3.5 connector on my glock 27 and it improved my accuracy. The triggger does not feel to light It's pretty smooth But I dont use as my EDC either.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:06 AM   #19
iblong

I guess Im in the minority among others I own 4 Glocks,All have been polished with 3.5 conectors and over travel stops,That said I mostly carry my 1911.
I do not feel unsafe with my Glocks as they only go bang if I put my finger on the trigger.That said Im never in a hury to reholster.27,19,17,34 all my triggers are prety much identical the 27 is mabe a touch heavier as its a gen 4 and the rest are 2nd and 3rd gen.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:17 PM   #20
Nanuk

I installed Ghost 3.5 connectors in all my Glocks and polished the critical areas. On some I changed springs, on some I did not.

My goal is a clean, consistent trigger pull which a factory Glock does not have. Mine all hover around 4 to 4.5 lbs and I carry all of them at different times.

Carried in the proper holster and used with the proper care they are just as safe as any other gun. Legal issues? Please.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:51 PM   #21
Roland Thunder

Several years ago I bought an M&P 45c because I thought it could serve dual purpose as a carry gun and range gun. Naive to the consequences discussed in this thread, I had the Apex trigger kit put on it to improve my accuracy when shooting compettively with it at the range. After I became aware of the legal implications of messing with the trigger of a carry gun, I ended up selling it because I was afraid to carry it.

I ended up buying a Springfiled Range Officer 1911 for range use.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:04 PM   #22
kahrguy

I polished all the metal parts in our g17 and did change the stricker spring and that left it with a real sweet 5lb triggger. Good enough.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:06 PM   #23
3o3brit

I have a Zev-Tech V4 connector and 6# trigger spring on my Glock 19, about 3 ½ - 4 pounds. All the Glock safety’s still work fine. I have not had any issues with the set up, I don’t see how it is any less safe than the stock set up, if you do not pull the trigger it won’t fire.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:07 PM   #24
mikecu

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of a court case involving a justified self defense shooting that was changed due to the gun being modified?

For me the 3.5# connector and a 6# trigger spring made my groups significantly tighter. I would think that I am less likely to miss my intended target in a self preservation shooting with the modifications.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:26 PM   #25
Gaerek

Quote:
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of a court case involving a justified self defense shooting that was changed due to the gun being modified?

For me the 3.5# connector and a 6# trigger spring made my groups significantly tighter. I would think that I am less likely to miss my intended target in a self preservation shooting with the modifications.
Depends what you mean by this. I'd recommend reading some of Massad Ayoobs books. He shows some cases where a cocked revolver caused an AD that could have been deemed manslaughter, whereas if it was an intentional shot it would have been justified.

The way the lawyers are going to work it is, if they can get the jury to believe you unintentionally fired, they're going to get you on manslaughter, even if everything else was justified. This is yet another case of, is it worth the risk?
Closed Thread