The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2010, 09:53 AM   #1
crimsondave

? about 44 mag 300 gr bullets in S&W

I've heard you need to be careful with 300 gr bullets in a 29/629. What about bottom end loads with H110? I know the bottom end of H110 is not very bottom end, that's why I'm asking.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Sevens

W296/H110 has had numerous warnings over the years about staying away from any kind of bottom end. Were I you, I'd stick to full throttle loads and if there is a problem with them in your S&W (I don't know the N-frames well enough to have heard that) then I'd simply go to a different powder.

Alliant 2400 is a great powder for .44 Mag that may not give quite the performance that H110 does at the top end, but it's got a more wider usable range and doesn't need magnum primers, either. It's a darn good powder.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:40 AM   #3
crimsondave

I mean starting loads. The "bottom end" of H110 is only 1 grain under max. The loads I'm talking about are listed in all the manuals, so they must be safe.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Sevens

I think we are saying the same thing. I'll put it a different way...

H110 doesn't safely make light or medium loads. H110 is a full bore powder that makes terrific max loads. It's the best way for a reloader to get full velocity while staying safely within SAAMI limits for the cartridges that it is designed for, and .44 Mag is probably the most popular chambering for H110 used everywhere in North America.

You may have a "start" load listed in your published guides, and it is a safe load, but it's still a very warm load. If you believe your S&W doesn't handle 300gr bullets well when they are loaded warm to hot, then you need to pick a different powder.

You say the bottom loads are listed as one grain under the top load. NO WAY that's going to be a light load. It'll be safe-- YES! But it won't be light. If you don't want to subject your S&W to a heavy load, then pick a different powder.
Old February 1, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5
crimsondave

I really like H110 and I don't want to buy more powder. I have some Unique I could use, but I'd rather use the H110 if it is not going to damage my gun. I was just wondering if anyone has used H110 with this bullet in a 29/629 without damage. I would not be shooting lots of these.
Old February 1, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Sevens

Unique would probably work well for this application if you aren't trying to make them hot. And if you are specifically trying to make them light or medium, Unique is much better choice than H110.

I still think that for the $22 it costs for a pound of a different powder... I don't know why I'd still be trying to do it, but I wish you luck. I'd never want to see a gun get beaten up.

Maybe try this question in the revolver forum where some of the folks know the 29/629 REALLY well. I'm sure they have thoughts as to it's durability with 300 grain bullets.
Old February 1, 2010, 11:20 AM   #7
crimsondave

Thanks. I linked it. I'm really trying to figure out how hot I can go with these bullets without damaging my gun.