The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2010, 09:36 AM   #1
CWPinSC

.45 LC Bullet?

I have a box of FMJ round-nose 230 gr. bullets with a diameter of .452 and an OAL of .656. Can I use these to reload .45 LC?

TIA!
Old February 1, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. I used to have an old French MAB that had a .309" groove diameter bore for .311" .32 ACP hardball bullets. The military specs allow bullets up to .309" (the maximum spec) to be fired in .30 cal rifle barrels as small as .3065" groove diameter (their minimum barrel spec). That extra thousandth won't hurt anything. Just work your loads up from starting loads, watching for pressure signs, as always.

P.S., did you measure some .451 bullets from another brand at the same time to be sure you could see the difference? A lot of times we use calipers when we should be using an OD thimble micrometer than can resolve ten thousandths. Calipers are only normally reliable to +/- a thousandth or two anyway.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; February 1, 2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old February 1, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
CWPinSC

Calipers here and I can interpolate to +/- .0005. If I can find my 1" mics...

I measured a factory .45 LC at .448 just above the case rim. I bought the bullets intending to reload .45 ACP, but I'm out of .45 LC right now.

Gun show this weekend, though!
Old February 2, 2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
I measured a factory .45 LC at .448 just above the case rim.

I have never seen a factory 45 Colt that measures less than bullet diameter on the outside of the case. Are you sure you don't have a 44 Mag in hand? Even a 44 Mag should measure .457" right above the rim. 45 Colt should measure .480" right above the rim.

Do you mean right above the case mouth? If you are measuring a 45 Colt factory load at the case mouth, be aware that the driving bands are larger than the bullet nose.

To determine the proper bullet size for your revolver, slug the bore. Many imported 45 Colt revolvers have oversized bores, or the cylinder throats are smaller than the barrel groove measurement.

Many factory 45 Colt loads used to use .451" hollow base 250 gr soft lead bullets to accomodate older 45 Colts with .455" bores, I don't know if they still do.