The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 19, 2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Southern_guy

2500+ Rounds = Terror Watch List?

This sounded like BS when I first heard it, but I'd like to be on the safe side. A friend in the state police said that the Patriot Act/another bill passed states that if police search your home and or person and you are found with over 2500 rounds of a single caliber, you are automatically added to the Terror Watch List, and hence cannot fly, may lose job certificates (medical, etc), and can be wiretapped.
Is this true? I'd hate to get pulled over for a traffic violation on the way home from the range and have my life ruined.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
fisherman66

How easy is that with 22lr (I'm pretty sure I qualify)? I see shotgunner's buy that many rounds frequently. That smells like a very special kind of BS.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
csmsss

Nope. Not true, and if you're going to post something like this, you should provide a reference corroborating it.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Southern_guy

Corroborating it? I think my intent has been misunderstood.
I wasn't trying to say that it was true, I just wanted to know if there was any truth to the rumor. A quick Google search revealed nothing on the subject, so I came here.
Like I said, I just wanted to be on the safe side of things.

Perhaps the rumor began from someone wanting to stop ammo inflation and hoarding?

Last edited by Southern_guy; July 19, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Yep, it is rumor. You get that in the gun world. I'll let it run for a bit to see if someone has some real info on who might have started it for historical purposes.

The gun store told me that Obama passed a rule that all ammo has ingredients in powder that makes it inert after a year. Oh NO

Old July 20, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

It comes up every time a gun owner gets busted for something and the local paper finds out he has X number of guns and X number of rounds in his house. Now he is a gun nut with probable ties to a militia and has an arsenal for which no practical purpose can be found. If his dog isn't a cocker spaniel or a poodle it will probably be a craxed attack dog and all his neighbors will be shocked to find out they were living so cl0se to danger.

Nothing said about book collectors or stamp collectors but guns and bullets are fear factor words in the lexicon of journalists that sell advertising. Let us get excited and foam at the mouth and sell those papers get those TV ratings up. Then the rumor starts up. I have heard it as low as 250 rounds for any caliber.

I would be in such deep doo with the press in Boston Massachusetts or Newark New Jersey but here in my little hut in the woods I am pretty typical.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 20, 2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I hear you get put on the Terrorist Watch List for spreading silly rumors on the intardnet...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:04 PM   #8
KLRANGL

My house (college house with roommates) was broken into back in spring break, luckily nothing gun related was taken (all brought home for safekeeping during vacations). But the cops did note the Yugo crate full of AK ammo, Spam can of 8mm mauser, 50cal ammo can full of Wolf AK, and a 1000rd case of Federal .40 cal. When my roommate (house owner) called the cops a few days later for an update, he was greeted with the detective saying, "oh right, the house with all that ammo" in a sarcastic tone (or so he says). And he even called the wrong detective in a different precinct of our city, so apparently word spreads.
Note sure what help that is, but I felt like sharing
Old July 23, 2009, 12:14 PM   #9
stija

That's big help. It means that even though you may not officially make the terror list, the word spreads.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:53 PM   #10
rootbeer62

You guys are a hoot ! Gee I guess someone is watching me too!
Old July 23, 2009, 05:36 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Nobody wants the responsibility for watching me. I even sent in my own name. They said they were too busy tracking down people with more than 2499 rounds of a single caliber of ammo.
Old July 23, 2009, 05:46 PM   #12
Zilmo

Quote:
I hear you get put on the Terrorist Watch List for spreading silly rumors on the intardnet...
Intardnet?

God. I love it.
Old July 23, 2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Wildalaska

You can close this now I have collected all the names and IPs

WildtoolofthejbtsAlaska â„¢
Old July 23, 2009, 05:55 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

not yet Wild, Me Too!!!

Seriously though, what do you have to do to get on the list? I don't think this has ever been stated.
If you are on the list and appeal do they tell you why you were put on? I think not.t trying to fly.

Is it possible this would get you put on the list? Considering the above two points I would say yes. Does it? I seriously doubt it.

I had twice that in 22LR in April. I think I am down below it now. I gave some to friends in need and shot a bit myself If it starts showing up in shelves I will get back though.
Old July 27, 2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Steve1911

I don't know about being put on the Terrorist watch list. But I read in my NRA's America's first freedom, about a guy getting a visit from the Secret Service after he purchased 1k rounds on the internet...

But it doesn't tell you any of his background...

He may have needed the visit, maybe not... You don't know.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I don't know about being put on the Terrorist watch list. But I read in my NRA's America's first freedom, about a guy getting a visit from the Secret Service after he purchased 1k rounds on the internet...

But it doesn't tell you any of his background...
Right. In the last two years, I have made purchased of multiple 1000s of rounds of ammo at a single time and certainly have never been visited by the Secret Service.

Of all the agencies to be visited by, the Secret Service? That seems a bit far-fetched.
Old July 29, 2009, 07:24 PM   #17
Hellbilly5000

I have about 600 rounds of 9x19 does that count for anything
Old July 29, 2009, 09:45 PM   #18
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Not hard to watch the tourists around here at the moment.

Why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot at them?
Old July 29, 2009, 11:13 PM   #19
jimmythejug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Nobody wants the responsibility for watching me. I even sent in my own name. They said they were too busy counting ammo.
^Fixed.
Old July 29, 2009, 11:32 PM   #20
flippycat

you guys got it all wrong

they were being literal :P

"purchase 2500 rounds or more and GET a Free Terror Watch" ..it is all the rage in this falls fashion line up. I mean heck they had Terror Cards ..a watch doesn't seem all to far fetched lol

Old July 30, 2009, 01:28 AM   #21
jack404

I think someone has crossed Australian proposed laws with US fears

in Australia there was a attempt at limiting ammo but we got a new Prime Minister and so it got dropped as a bill

it was on the table for a while but was never law.

i've seen the text on another forum and it was the aussie bill word for word but was only for Australia and our anti gun nazi ex prime minister

the bloke we have now is a shooter and we are slowly rolling back the draconian laws that where put in place by the previous administration

next is the semi auto rifle bans for pro shooters ( roll on febuary 2010, firearm law reveiw)
we hope to allow semi auto rifles again for professional and pest control shooters

so no worries eh!

cheers

jack

PS, like the Florin ( 20 cent) Aussie watch Flippycat

Last edited by jack404; July 30, 2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old July 30, 2009, 01:32 AM   #22
riggins_83

Quote:
You can close this now I have collected all the names and IPs
Going to need to log your own I.P., too, cause I'll bet you have a stockpile
Old July 30, 2009, 04:41 AM   #23
sks

Don't know about the ammo stuff but I do know that a close friend in Florida recently received a visit from ATF because he purchased 3 handguns in less than a month's time. They told him they just wanted to make sure everything was legit and he wasn't selling them. Didn't really bother him but it is worrisome nonetheless.

Sort of reminiscent of what was happening in Houston a while back when federal LEOs were visiting homes of people with "questionable" gun purchases.
Old July 30, 2009, 05:11 AM   #24
GringoGrande

Quote:
The gun store told me that Obama passed a rule that all ammo has ingredients in powder that makes it inert after a year. Oh NO
Wow, good thing I got my ammo when Bush was in office.....The first Bush that is LOL

Hahahaha 2500 rounds..... dear lord, myself and all my friends at Knob Creek Gun Range with all of our Class III stuff and minimum of 10,000 rounds each must totally scare the Obamanators to lose their beer (gotta love it, Gates Beer Gate, the Triad Beer roundtable on race relations).

Also, I thought we did not have a Terror Watch anymore... It is the Overseas Contingency Operations Watchlist ???

The Gringo Grande Jihad
Old July 30, 2009, 04:54 PM   #25
markj

Putting on tin foil hat now.....

Stashed ammo at various locations that will be too far away for me to load up now but hey dont want to be on any list.....

You guys should look into what it takes to me a pyro hobbiest these days. CCW is a cake walk compared to that level of scrutiny.